Maximum sunshine supported by a silicon cellull?

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
Tagor
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Tagor » 12/11/07, 11:15

Christophe wrote:Does the charge on solar cells affect their lifetime?

certain photovoltaic panels are guaranteed for life
so the risk is minimal
concentration can be done very simply with
a frenel lens (but ventilation must be provided for cooling)

otherwise it is possible to increase the rays "trapped" by small reflectors on the sides, this does not require any precaution
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/11/07, 11:28

I am not satisfied with the answer ... the guarantee is a commercial argument not technological. Besides, I never understood the concept of lifetime warranty ... is it the life of the customer or that of the product? : Mrgreen:

Regarding the concentration by fresnel lens it is not so simple since a fresnel lens is not given ...

We talked about it here (for example):
https://www.econologie.com/forums/photovolta ... 82-30.html
0 x
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 12/11/07, 12:02

Christophe wrote:
Corrollative personal question on this subject:

Does the charge on solar cells affect their lifetime?

In other words: is it preferable to draw all the power (obviously depending on the sunshine) produced by the PV cells or can we operate (permanently) at partial "load"?

Hello,

IMHO yes, because it's a question of power!
The solar cell extracts 15% of the power supplied to it by the sun and returns it in the form of electric current!
But the rest is dissipated by conduction and therefore if we do not get the maximum possible it is the temperature that will increase ....
It is therefore better to have a well-charged cell than an empty cell !!

Obelix
0 x
In medio stat virtus !!
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/11/07, 12:14

Yes this is what I will also have to think about but on the other hand ... the losses by joules effect are linked to a current ... therefore a flow of electrons and without charge the intensity is therefore less. ..so less heating ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 12/11/07, 13:00

I do not have precise information on the lifespan but I suppose that it is like the other components in silicon: it is the excess of temperature which can reduce the lifespan and not the ampere which pass

therefore a moderate concentration cell with good water cooling can be cooler than in a poorly cooled solar panel

the sun tracking system can even regulate: when the batteries are full and there is nothing else to do with the electricity, it is enough for the regulator to voluntarily adjust the orientation

but with me it is not likely to happen often ...

I have read that often the maximum measured power of photovoltaic cell is obtained in winter not because the sun is strongest but because the cell is the coldest therefore has a better output
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/11/07, 13:05

chatelot16 wrote:but because the cell is the coldest therefore has a better performance

Yes and here is a second explanation: the air clarity is generally better in winter ... less water vapor in the atmosphere ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 12/11/07, 15:52

The solar cell extracts 15% of the power supplied to it by the sun and returns it in the form of electric current!
But the rest is dissipated by conduction and therefore if we do not get the maximum possible it is the temperature that will increase ....
It is therefore better to have a well-charged cell than an empty cell !!

the current heats by the Joule effect but this loss is already counted in the yield

when the cell has a useful efficiency of 15% it can be transformed 20% of the light into electricity and immediately lost 5% in joule effect: all that matters is that 15% came out by the electric wires and will heat elsewhere: but I give these figures at random because I do not know what is happening inside
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/11/07, 16:00

Christophe wrote:Yes and here is a second explanation: the air clarity is generally better in winter ... less water vapor in the atmosphere ...

... and this despite a sun much lower on the horizon (therefore whose radiations are more "polluted")
0 x

Back to "Renewable energy: solar electricity"