Energy consumption EP Train vs Car

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Christophe

Re: Energy consumption EP Train vs Car

by Christophe » 14/07/11, 12:29

sen-no-sen wrote:Regarding the occupancy rate, TER, in large cities are often well filled (see to the brim), however, almost 70% of cars only carry one passenger ... the results are quick fact.

Exactly; the average occupancy rates are quite similar ... within 30% in both cases ...

More precisely, we should speak of an average load factor (useful mass transported / displaced mass). I circulated in a lot of trains where we were ten per wagon (especially in TER or off-peak) ... or we are never less than 1/5 or 1/4 = 20% in a car ...

Found this about the TER:

On the other hand, the transport distances are short as well as the average occupation of the trains, of the order of 66 passengers per train [ref. necessary].

Source: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_ ... 3%A9gional

sen-no-sen wrote:In addition, the trains are not subject to traffic jams, and their maintenance is less than on a car (no obsolescence programmed! Certain power trains are 40 years old!).

Yes but they are still late !! hihihihi!

The lifespan of a train is much higher than that of a car but far from being eternal and requires serious and expensive maintenance (look at what happens with the German ICE when we reduce maintenance, including has had several deaths!)

A train is also servicing: for example, they have plates like cars!

And the paths to maintain? Catenaries? The transformers? Referrals? The ballast to change every X years?

Also, for the anecdote, I always wondered how much represented the number of oak forests that had been felled just for the sleepers (now they are concrete) ... Then we could talk about the cancerous creosote treatment of these sleepers? : Cheesy:

In short: the train is like all other means of transport: it has an ecological and energy cost, that's all there is to it and I think that Laurent's message is not to defend the car but to point out that it is much less clean than the pseudo marketing sncf wants to pass ...

sen-no-sen wrote:It would be wise to also calculate the energy balance of the construction of a highway ...

Just like that of a railroad ... the LGV Est cost more than the A4 it seems to me (to be checked ...) for a much less service to the population !!

But we will soon have all of this thanks to the law cited in my previous message: https://www.econologie.com/forums/bilan-carb ... 10970.html

: Cheesy:

Now we must also see the train as a public service ... but when we see the prices of the SNCF we wonder if the SNCF would not have lost the notion of "service" ...
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 14/07/11, 13:56

Christophe wrote:Now we must also see the train as a public service ... but when we see the prices of the SNCF we wonder if the SNCF would not have lost the notion of "service" ...

Absolutely! It is scandalous to see the SNCF tariffs increased each year, when it should be the opposite!
SNCF is now a private company disguised as a public company.

On the other hand, I will not be made to believe that the car is more virtuous than the train!
If the trains are not as efficient, it is because of automobile hegemony on the one hand, and bad technological choices on the other hand.

Regarding the LGV, it would have been less expensive to develop aerotrain lines ... another French invention that has been forgotten.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/07/11, 14:11

Here is a recent topic that talks about sncf rates: https://www.econologie.com/forums/tarifs-snc ... 10165.html
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/07/11, 23:55

This AM while doing a race I crossed 2 TER railcar of the SNCB (AR41 to be precise: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorail ) at a level crossing between 18 and 19 p.m. (rush hour right?)

- The 1st of 3 wagons, there were in all 2 or 3 people on my side of the road ...
- The 2nd of 2 cars, I only saw one passenger!

The 2 were running on diesel ... despite the overhead lines present ... according to wiki it's not the right voltage ... : Cheesy:

So don't tell us that in this case, the train is cleaner than the car !! Physically it's like taking a 36 ton to transport a suitcase ...

Economically running trains, in addition to diesel, in these conditions, it is madness ... live subsidies ... but there it is public service ...
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 15/07/11, 01:43

Without a car, the trains would be crowded, as in 1900, before the car !!
4 out of 5 of the railway lines were abolished after 1945, with the development of the car, which kills the train !!

I remember little kid, pretty cute trains, and hop the following year, disappeared.

Now we see instead bike paths or highway ramps, with some 1900 style stations !!

So if we see empty trains, it is because we do not take it, and we will end up making them disappear, those that remain, in local line !!

Those without a car or license are very happy with these trains !!

So green, stop hitting trains !!

According to the moments, they are crowded arch-full (departure on current vacation) and others empty !!
For this reason the TGV tickets are in a 3 ratio for the same route, depending on demand !!
0 x
sspid14
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by sspid14 » 15/07/11, 02:35

I believe the train is a public service (which must remain so) which allows people who cannot afford to buy a car to move, or who simply prefer to go on vacation with the insurance money of a second car!

If we start from this principle, the trains must run and therefore taking his car is overconsumption.
Example: I go to my grandmother's house 50 minutes from here by car or train at 1:20 from here. If I take the train, my weight will not influence the consumption of the train and if I take the car, I will consume petrol. So with or without me, the train will have consumed, but I can choose to consume (or not) with the car.

We cannot make the comparison for the goods on the other hand!
What about consumption for the transport of goods from elsewhere ??
And the road truck rail transport .. interesting ??

And, we see a lot of technological progress (consumption level) for the car but not too much for the train.
When energy recovery for braking, just reinject the current on the network ... (probably easier said than done)
When will there be photovoltaic panels on the roofs of stations (eg Charleroi station), train, and others ... trains operate most of the time during the day!
0 x
stipe
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stipe » 15/07/11, 09:00

Christophe wrote:The lifespan of a train is much higher than that of a car but far from being eternal and requires serious and expensive maintenance (look at what happens with the German ICE when we reduce maintenance, including has had several deaths!)

Wow! "several deaths" !!! lol Fortunately, on this side we do not compare with the car ... : Lol:
Because it must be remembered, the train in France is still the best way to get to your destination alive. But hey, you have to pay more, it would be like stopping Nuclear Power on the pretext that it is dangerous when it is "cheaper", it does not make sense!

When energy recovery for braking, just reinject the current on the network ... (probably easier said than done)

Yesterday! The TGV has been doing this for a very long time (at least for 10 years), well the automobile still lags behind the train, this is normal for an obsolete means of travel in 90% of cases : Mrgreen:
0 x
"the goal of every life is to end" !.
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/07/11, 10:32

sspid14 wrote:Example: I go to my grandmother's house 50 minutes from here by car or train at 1:20 from here. If I take the train, my weight will not influence the consumption of the train and if I take the car, I will consume petrol. So with or without me, the train will have consumed, but I can choose to consume (or not) with the car.

Exact but I can give you a counter example: we can do almost the same reasoning with the plane ... I say almost because the consumption of an airplane will be very slightly higher with one more passenger ... (that of a train too, physically speaking, but much more negligible I think)

sspid14 wrote:What about consumption for the transport of goods from elsewhere ??
And the road truck rail transport .. interesting ??

A priori it is not too much (too expensive, too many constraints for truckers ...) otherwise we would see a lot more.

Piggybacking has become a False Good Idea in the current economic context: slower and more expensive than the truck alone, so nobody uses ...

Transport by train is reserved for heavy goods in large quantities and generally far from the final consumer (minerals, cereals ...).

I think I have never seen a refrigerated wagon in real life !! Who has seen it before?

On the other hand, river transport is in full swing! The autonomous ports of Strasbourg and Liège are rediscovering their second youth at the moment!

Proof that the river knew how to adapt much better to the economic context than the train!

By the ton.km transported the river is much cleaner than the train.

stipe wrote:Yesterday! The TGV has been doing this for a very long time (at least for 10 years)

Uh I thought that all the TGV models were equipped ... to be checked ..

Well, I found this very complete article on braking trains: http://florent.brisou.pagesperso-orange ... rganes.htm
which against says all that I thought, on the recovery by re-injection network, in bold the essential ...

The electrodynamic brake

When a generator delivers on a load (resistance for example), a resistant force appears on its shaft tending to slow it down. This is true regardless of the type of generator: direct current, synchronous or asynchronous. Only the methods to initiate and maintain the process differ.

It is therefore quite natural that an electric traction motor, whatever it is, can be used as a generator so as to produce a braking force which will slow down the origin of its movement, that is to say the axle to which it is mechanically coupled by the transmission.

Thus was born the electrodynamic brake, which covers:

* the rheostatic brake: the traction motors flow in rheostats on board the machine, which then dissipate the energy in calorific form in the atmosphere

* the regenerative brake: the traction motors supply the high-voltage power line, the energy thus restored can be reused by the other convoys, or sent back to the supply network through the substations.

The first type of brake has the advantage of being able to be implemented independently of any high voltage power supply, therefore in particular on a diesel-electric locomotive. On the other hand, the braking energy is dissipated in pure loss.

The second type of brake has the advantage of being able to recover braking energy, and therefore very significantly improve the economic performance of vehicle operations. However, it requires:

* the installation on board the machine of reversible and efficient power supply equipment, so as to be able to return a current of characteristics close to that supplied by the substations to the supply line, this is that is to say little "polluted" by harmonics.

* the presence of consumers at the same time on the supply line, as electrical energy cannot by definition be stored. This type of brake cannot therefore operate during off-peak hours (first and last trains), or else requires reversible substations (therefore a little more expensive) to return the energy to the distributor (EDF in France). This last aspect is hardly ever implemented, taking into account the constraints of "purity" of the returned current imposed by the distributors of electrical energy.

This is why the rheostatic brake is mainly used on main line equipment (locomotives, TGV), which brake infrequently and whose mechanical brake is sized to be able to operate on its own temporarily without overheating or excessive wear, while the regenerative brake equips rather urban materials (trams, metros) and suburban materials (railcars). Note that some equipment (trams in particular) is equipped with two types of brake, especially when the mechanical brake remains relatively undersized thermally due to constraints in terms of volume available on the bogies.

The dynamic brake has another advantage: with a suitable design of the power equipment and their control electronics, the dynamic brake can be considered safe, and therefore it can be taken into account while respecting braking performance with regard to signaling. Without this aspect, the TGV would certainly not have seen the light of day, since the dynamic brake makes it possible to compensate for the fact that the reduced number of bogies (articulated architecture of the train) and the reduced space available on the motor bogies does not allow install a large mechanical braking capacity.

Finally, it should be noted that certain specific constraints, independent of the rolling stock, can greatly influence the choice of the type of electrodynamic brake. Thus, in France, if recovery is possible everywhere with a 1,5 kV continuous supply (subject to regulatory constraints), on the other hand, it is difficult with a 25 kV single-phase supply. Indeed, SNCF supplies its network from the closest EDF network, but two adjacent substations are not necessarily connected to the same (three-phase) EDF supply phase, for consumption balancing issues. This is why the SNCF lines supplied with 25 kV single-phase are equipped, between the substations, with disconnections intended to prevent short-circuits due to phase difference between the substations. The probability that two trains are on the same section of about fifty kilometers being low, and the substations are most of the time not reversible (to avoid sending back to the EDF network a voltage that is not "pure "), It is clear that regenerative braking is not interesting because it is not very available. Only suburban lines supplied with single-phase can have an attractive recovery rate, even justifying the absence of associated rheostatic braking (case of Z 20500). In Germany, on the other hand, the DB supplies all of its lines from a single network, without phase shift. There is therefore no systematic sectioning, which almost certainly guarantees the presence of a train (and therefore of a consumer) in a relatively close radius. DB equipment is almost never equipped with dynamic braking.

Like what the "legends" die hard ... and the type of network / current used matters enormously in the reinjection and EdF has very probably not pushed for these reinjections ... unlike the German electricity operators ...

stipe wrote:Wow! "several deaths" !!! lol Fortunately, on this side we do not compare with the car.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accident_f ... %27Eschede

101 dead all the same ... it doesn't make me laugh ...

There was no question of comparing to cars but of saying that the maintenance cost was not zero and that if we reduced it could lead to this kind of disaster ...

Then, road deaths are due in the vast majority of cases to a human and not technical defect! This is not the same...

On June 3, 1998 the tire of an ICE 1 wheel connecting Munich to Hamburg broke next to Eschede [1]. The train breaks up on a bridge pile, killing 101 and injuring a hundred (out of a total of 287 people on the train): it is the worst train accident in German history since 1971, and the worst high speed train accident in the world.

All this because preventive maintenance (ultrasound or eddy current) to detect a fatigue defect in this wheel has no longer been done !!

stipe wrote:Because it must be remembered, the train in France is still the best way to arrive alive at your destination.

No it's the plane ... : Lol:
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 15/07/11, 11:17

No it's the plane ...

False, in France it is the train by far !!
Count the number of dead !!
There is no photo !!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/07/11, 11:30

dedeleco wrote:Count the number of dead !!
There is no photo !!

You did it? : Lol:
0 x