The hydrogen house

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The hydrogen house

by Gaston » 06/04/18, 10:37

Un article comments on a recent study by ADEME.

An interesting extract:
The electrolysis yield - allowing an electric current to decompose the water molecule into hydrogen and oxygen - is currently around 70%. The compression of this gas also consumes energy, and the recombination of the water molecule in the cell, to supply electricity again, is done with a yield of the order of 45%. The overall output of the chain, from primary electricity to returned useful electricity, is therefore in a range of 20 to 30% depending on the applications, the storage pressure considered, logistics diagrams, etc.
0 x
BaudouinLabrique
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by BaudouinLabrique » 06/04/18, 10:46

Gaston wrote:Un article comments on a recent study by ADEME.

An interesting extract:
The electrolysis yield - allowing an electric current to decompose the water molecule into hydrogen and oxygen - is currently around 70%. The compression of this gas also consumes energy, and the recombination of the water molecule in the cell, to supply electricity again, is done with a yield of the order of 45%. The overall output of the chain, from primary electricity to returned useful electricity, is therefore in a range of 20 to 30% depending on the applications, the storage pressure considered, logistics diagrams, etc.

These figures are in accordance with what I had indicated (40% of output may if we recycle residual heat, then we reduce the loss to 5%)
0 x
«There are those who see things as they are and wonder why. Me, I see them as they could be and I say to myself: why not! (Sir Bernard Shaw)
« The future belongs to those who see the possibilities before they become obvious. (Theodore Levitt).
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 06/04/18, 21:51

BaudouinLabrique wrote:These figures are in accordance with what I had indicated (40% of output may if we recycle residual heat, then we reduce the loss to 5%)
You need a solid and irrefutable source to confirm this : Wink:
0 x
BaudouinLabrique
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by BaudouinLabrique » 07/04/18, 11:18

izentrop wrote:
BaudouinLabrique wrote:These figures are in accordance with what I had indicated (40% of output may if we recycle residual heat, then we reduce the loss to 5%)

You have to have a minimum of confidence in what the designers of the Solenco Power Box are advancing in this case.

I do not see them taking the risk of a disavowal after the launch of their system: it would be catastrophic for their development!

We can certainly doubt everything, but know that then, you assimilate to the followers of the scientism : this scientific religion imposes on its practitioners (which apparently you would be) not to believe, to admit for real only what is scientifically proven and to doubt immediately what is not, by rejecting it.
0 x
«There are those who see things as they are and wonder why. Me, I see them as they could be and I say to myself: why not! (Sir Bernard Shaw)
« The future belongs to those who see the possibilities before they become obvious. (Theodore Levitt).
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 07/04/18, 11:43

BaudouinLabrique wrote:
izentrop wrote:
You have to have a minimum of confidence in what the designers of the Solenco Power Box are advancing in this case.
Promises but to my knowledge, no measurement results. At this train, Paris is bottled. :P
0 x
thibr
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by thibr » 07/04/18, 11:52

I dare to hope that they have made serious (scientific) tests to advance their figures ...
unless the marketing department was stronger?
0 x
BaudouinLabrique
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by BaudouinLabrique » 07/04/18, 12:55

thibr wrote:I dare to hope that they have made serious (scientific) tests to advance their figures ...
unless the marketing department was stronger?

There is at the start of the Solenco Power Box an invention of Dr in Physics Hugo Vanden Borre who deposited the patent which became the property of the Belgian chemical multinational Solvay (in second position of the Belgian Top 50); Ernest Solvay created it in 1861 ... and whose industrial adventure is one of the most beautiful jewels in the world! Image
Excuse a little!

Do you think that such a group whose reputation for perennial solidity has never been denied and whose choices have always been promising, would embark on an adventure with no future? : Shock:
0 x
Bardal
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bardal » 07/04/18, 18:50

BaudouinLabrique wrote:
Gaston wrote:Un article comments on a recent study by ADEME.

An interesting extract:

These figures are in accordance with what I had indicated (40% of output may if we recycle residual heat, then we reduce the loss to 5%)

The problem is that these figures absolutely do not confirm what you said, and no more the figures for the commercial enterprise ...

Even with L'Ademe's optimistic figures, the final return is 0,7x0,4x0,9 = 0,25, which is roughly half of what you tell us; still the figure of 0,7 for electrolysis is very overrated, in industrial it is difficult to exceed 0,5 ...

This is not surprising, moreover: the more the energy transformations are multiplied, the more the efficiency takes a hit. As for using hydrogen as an intermediate, it is really seeking the difficulty: this gas is difficult to handle, tends to pass through all the bodies it meets and has a very low volume thermal capacity, which means that compress it strongly to store it properly.

Even the smallest accumulator battery, even of rustic technology, has more interesting performance ...

But why should we strive to find systems wasting 3/4 of dearly acquired energy?
2 x
BaudouinLabrique
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by BaudouinLabrique » 07/04/18, 19:21

bardal wrote:The problem is that these figures absolutely do not confirm what you said, and no more the figures for the commercial enterprise ...

It's wrong ! The figures of 40% efficiency with a loss of 60% reduced to 5% (via the recovery of residual heat) correspond well to those I had given:

Exact text :
"you should know that we are confronted with the fact that, if we deprive ourselves of recovery
residual heat described (see before), the complete cycle electricity> hydrogen> electricity (via the CEP)
shows a loss of almost 54%, that is to say that for 1kWh absorbed at the start, 0,46 kWh is produced at the outlet.
The main losses translate into heat emission. However, as the advance
Dr. Hugo Vandenborre, this loss would therefore be limited to 5%, thanks to the recovery
residual heat
s"
0 x
Bardal
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bardal » 07/04/18, 21:09

Yes, well, the exact text of Ademe is the one you mentioned above, and not this new pathos, embellished with Pr Vandenborre ....

If at each post you change your references, we will have a hard time discussing ...

It is known as the white wolf that the electricity-hydrogen-electricity cycle struggles to exceed the yield by 20%; and it is not the unsupported assertion of a suburban Sunflower professor that will change anything. Your drawing is a dream, a fairy tale, and nothing else ...

And it's expensive, very expensive ...
0 x