Wafer boiler, possible autonomy?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Wafer boiler, possible autonomy?

by Forhorse » 21/01/23, 19:33

I'm a maintenance technician, "trouble" with a boiler doesn't scare me.
But initially that's not really the question.
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/01/23, 19:44

Have you thought about encapsulated logs from BRF? : Mrgreen:

: Arrow: waste-and-recycling/sawdust-paper-log-press-t17058.html
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 21/01/23, 19:55

Yesterday, on the news, the firefighters said that they intervened a lot on homemade "pellets", etc....
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 22/01/23, 16:46

Ahmed wrote:There is a difference between RCW and forest chips: the first comes exclusively from fresh branches less than 7 cm in diameter, while the woodchip (whose size is not fixed and depends on the characteristics of the heating equipment fed), it's more like pretty big scrap wood. This last point for a fairly simple reason to understand: it's with the bulk that it "spits", with twigs, you use up the sun and it is only possible occasionally to get rid of it. The drying of the chips is done in heaps, either in a shed or under a breathable tarpaulin and it is the bacteria that take care of the job (in about 3 weeks), with a little carbon. It is a very inexpensive and yet fully automatic process, because as soon as the humidity is no longer sufficient, the activity of the bacteria stops.
If you need advice for a grinder, I have some ideas on the subject...

Another difference of RCW is that it is buds full of life and nitrogen, which will fertilize the soil better than dry wood.
Grinding and making chips (or compressed logs) is probably better than burning in place to heat the birds...

At home, I make heaps (along the hedge) with the hedge trimmers, it gradually increases the height of the ground, and by scratching below I have good soil : Wink:
2 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 22/01/23, 17:06

Of course, Dede2002, but I placed myself from the point of view of the caliber and not of the intrinsic qualities and therefore of the possible and preferential uses. I had the opportunity to reject the thermal use of the BRF in possible incorporation in the bricks of paper/cardboard in the dedicated thread.

I take this opportunity to clarify my message above: if we observe a decrease in apparent volume in the shredding of fine slash (up to a factor of 10), the shredding of large wood, in addition to the fact that it is more productive, is accompanied by the opposite phenomenon: the apparent volume increases, since voids are created in initially more massive woods.
The use of the largest possible timber stems from a search for productivity and therefore requires the use of a feed crane. This can be seen among professionals or service provider companies. When these exist locally, it is interesting to use their services, which avoids personal investment. Otherwise, the good compromise is around 15 to 20 cm in diameter of crushing capacity. Beyond this range, the price of the crusher as well as the difficulty of manual handling become prohibitive. The power of the tractor is also important, but to a lesser extent because of the flexibility provided by the sequential progress.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 22/01/23, 20:40

Yeah so, if I read between the lines, it's not a good idea (but I suspected it a little)
I drop the idea of ​​the grinder.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 22/01/23, 21:04

Forhorse wrote:Yeah so, if I read between the lines, it's not a good idea (but I suspected it a little)

I read reviews differently. Nobody said it was a bad idea (a bit me...), especially in your case which seems to be able to have a lot of wood resources and in addition is able to manage sometimes a little complex "things" in terms of operation (which exempts me from my comment on the complexity of wafer systems).
Now, it is true that it is a choice that imposes rather heavy initial investments that can only be profitable over time, with a personal investment in time spent annually that is certainly not negligible.
I'm in no position to give you sound advice with my gas boiler....
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 23/01/23, 18:47

The idea can be good or bad depending on the importance of the investment (which depends on the choice made) in relation to the possible advantages obtained by its use, all things of which I cannot be judge...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 24/01/23, 20:43

Well, with a big ladle, that's between 20 and 30k€ of investment in total... that's still a few cubic meters of log wood!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/01/23, 10:14

Yes a bunch of steres! And a whole lot more work and potential hassle...compared to the logs...

It is perhaps for this reason that the brochure is intended, almost exclusively, for collective boilers (sharing of shit) or industrial boilers (direct recovery of the resource)
0 x