Make wood pellets

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Making your wood pellets

by humus » 12/09/22, 17:54

Ahmed wrote:In addition to an adapted system, it is necessary to completely review the combustion device, in particular the hearth

Why is that ? : Shock:
Must say that I have never seen the system of pellet stoves : Wink:
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 12/09/22, 18:11

humus wrote:
Ahmed wrote:In addition to an adapted system, it is necessary to completely review the combustion device, in particular the hearth

Why is that ? : Shock:
Must say that I have never seen the system of pellet stoves : Wink:

Er... Because otherwise it wouldn't be called a pellet stove or boiler, but a shredded wood stove or boiler! Or forest chips, or coal...Is this explanation sufficient?
A "clean" combustion is very complicated, and the consistency of the physico-chemical characteristics of the fuel is essential.
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 12/09/22, 18:13

For two reasons: firstly, the energy density lower than that of the pellet implies enlarging the hearth, then the space between the fuel elements being larger, it is perhaps necessary to arrange the hearth differently, for example in the form inclined grid*. This is what we observe in large boilers: the hearth is supplied at the top of the grate and the embers are on the opposite side: as the combustion progresses, the volume and the weight decrease; the latter causes the triggering of the fuel supply and so on...
Biomass boilers which are only used to produce "basic" heat are quite simple to operate, but as soon as they enter a process that is a little demanding in terms of regulation, it is quickly the cross and the banner ( I know of a large wastewater treatment plant that centrifuges its sludge, dehydrates it before granulation and has given up using the woodchip biomass boiler to use only the gas boiler...).

* There is sometimes another reason for this arrangement which is that the fuel, sometimes heterogeneous in terms of humidity, gradually heats up during its descent.
Last edited by Ahmed the 12 / 09 / 22, 18: 23, 1 edited once.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/09/22, 18:19

sicetaitsimple wrote:A "clean" combustion is very complicated, and the consistency of the physico-chemical characteristics of the fuel is essential.

For having burnt a few hundred kg of pellets (of different qualities) I can tell you that it's not that clean…especially at start-up!

Lots of dust… but no sticky soot like that can be the case with logs…
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 12/09/22, 18:24

It is quite normal that the combustion is not optimal as long as the temperature is insufficient...
This is also what we observe in a log stove, which is why I have been using "top down" lighting for two years now. At first, it is not intuitive and you must first assimilate the practical logic of the concept... This practice reduces the unburnt during this phase and "icing on the cake", as you can put quite a lot of big wood, you can forget about the fire for a while after lighting it and it is not extinguished when you think about it again. 8)
Last edited by Ahmed the 12 / 09 / 22, 18: 32, 1 edited once.
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 12/09/22, 18:29

Christophe wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:A "clean" combustion is very complicated, and the consistency of the physico-chemical characteristics of the fuel is essential.

For having burnt a few hundred kg of pellets (of different qualities) I can tell you that it's not that clean…especially at start-up!

Of course, the transitional phases, including start-up, are by far the most polluting. But that's true regardless of the fuel.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 12/09/22, 18:33

See the edit, above, written in the meantime.
1 x
Olbenj
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Olbenj » 16/09/22, 22:29

Hello, I am starting a similar project I will need you for the sizing and choice of machine supplier

Thank you
1 x

Back to "Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ..."