attic floor insulation boards

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
swift2540
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by swift2540 » 23/04/10, 03:24

Dedeleco,
we do not understand each other, or rather we do not see things from the same angle.
1) the insert I no longer have it, I moved.
That said, it was only 6kw, was not intended for a continuous fire but perfectly heated the entire floor of the house without problem (50m²), even in winter (-15 °).
2) I asked you the question of noise (and I had a good answer, thank you) because I am currently renovating and I think maybe installing this kind of stove (to see, it depends on other choices, in particular vmcdf).
3) I am convinced that your system works well, even very well:
-because you know how to manage it effectively
-because you accept his constraints
-because you put the price (and / or the time to properly design / realize it)
AND this is where I ask Dodo the question:
Are you ready to accept these constraints?
because as you wrote:
unless you do not want to do anything, nor any constraint.

Et
The client must think and be demanding !!

Again, ok but first of all
THE CUSTOMER MUST KNOW WHAT THEY WANT, AND ASSUME THEIR CHOICES, GOOD OR BAD FOR HIM.
But VISIBLY Dodo does not know at all what "wood constraint" means.
Hence my advice:
- buy a really cheap stove
- give it a try in off-season (ie now!)
And then:
-If he chooses wood knowing the causes, then install your solution which is, I repeat, a good solution
-If he finds the "constraints" too painful, do exactly the same thing BUT with a pellet stove!
Slightly more expensive than wood but cheaper than electricity and much more automated.
But whatever his choice (I do not pronounce, it is HIS life), he will have made an informed choice, and will not have invested for nothing ...
0 x
Sometimes it is better to stop, reflect, and ask the right questions ...
dodo
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by dodo » 23/04/10, 07:56

doing a test with a second-hand stove is an idea, but the concern is that I have to remove my insert to put an insert in it.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 23/04/10, 14:59

So give it a try with the current insert if you haven't done so already!
But it will only heat locally around the chimney and therefore low economy, but identical constraint for wood and ashes !!
On the other hand look carefully at the top of your insert to know if it does not have an unused exchanger (1 or 2 round outlets for hot air ducts above in addition to that for the chimney, actually next ), we never know ???
0 x
swift2540
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by swift2540 » 23/04/10, 20:44

dodo wrote:doing a test with a second-hand stove is an idea, but the concern is that I have to remove my insert to put an insert in it.

Your insert has a problem ???
Because if not, run buy a cubic meter of dry wood and try it out :!:
As Dedeleco says
But it will only heat locally around the chimney and therefore low economy, but identical constraint for wood and ashes !!

In short, it will heat the room, + a little bit the adjoining room if the door is open.
Electric heating cut on Friday evening (it no longer freezes), fire starts on Saturday morning for the weekends, you will know what "the wood constraint" is.
Then it suits you => you invest
it doesn't suit you => you are looking for something else (pellet stove for example)
But in any case, YOU WILL HAVE CHOSEN WITH KNOWLEDGE OF CAUSE ?, therefore no unnecessary investment. Cqfd.
0 x
dodo
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by dodo » 23/04/10, 21:20

doing a test with a second-hand stove is an idea, but the concern is that I have to remove my insert to put an insert in it.

I planted myself because I only have an open chimney, I just wanted to say that to test with a second-hand stove I would have to break my chimney to put a stove in it.

sorry.
0 x
swift2540
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by swift2540 » 23/04/10, 21:25

Not not everything to break for a test.
Just plug the hole in the chimney with an iron plate (or a bit of masonry, the easiest for you) with a hole to get the stove nozzle.
After the test you are advised.
0 x
dodo
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by dodo » 23/04/10, 21:36

swift2540 wrote:Not not everything to break for a test.
Just plug the hole in the chimney with an iron plate (or a bit of masonry, the easiest for you) with a hole to get the stove nozzle.
After the test you are advised.

I don't have a place to plug in a stove unless I make a special hole in the duct.

if I find a stove that I put in the fireplace is it can work or a second hand insert.
0 x
swift2540
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by swift2540 » 23/04/10, 22:25

dodo wrote:I don't have a place to plug in a stove unless I make a special hole in the duct.

?????????????????
For me, an open chimney is a kind of hood at + or - 1m from the ground and rising narrowing towards the flue ...
a bit like this
http://mescritiques.be/IMG/breveon106.jpg
So put a sheet (or a wall, at most) to plug the face with a hole to pass the stove nozzle

dodo wrote:if I find a stove that I put in the fireplace is it can work or a second hand insert.

In my opinion, a stove is not made to be built in [/ quote]
0 x
dodo
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by dodo » 23/04/10, 22:25

you say that wood is a big constraint and you are absolutely right I have someone who heats wood who confirmed me your say.

Tonight I went to an energy saving salon and I'm going to see for an air / water heat pump and there no constraint if you have the means because more than 20 euros.

I find that all this is not simple because you have people:

-> who will tell you that instead of changing your heating you have to do insulation from the outside and you will have much less heated afterwards
-> who will tell you that wood is a constraint
-> who will tell you that the electric is not good

But if we choose one solution over the other it is mainly because of its financial cost.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 24/04/10, 01:13

An open hearth burns wood very well, makes smoke even more than closed (with more smoke leaking into the living room), and gives full of ash even more annoying than a closed hearth (no drip tray), but if the chimney draws (if hot), it can heat the living room by infrared radiation and so the constraints will be even stronger to test (personal experience in the past).
But finally, we must not exaggerate, our ancestors have heated with these constraints for 400000 years, even in caves without chimneys !!
We are no longer afraid of losing the fire and not being able to do it again like in Koh Lanta !!! Quite a constraint, there were no matches then!
Your chimney closes properly with a hatch above the fireplace ??? Otherwise the hot air leaves through the chimney! !

Otherwise an insert with fairly powerful hot air nozzles at 1199 € quite powerful
http://www.maisongarden.net/index2.php? ... ois-39.htm
with interesting features on paper:
http://www.maisongarden.net/665103_detail.htm
double combustion (less smoke), long-term continuous fire, 10 hours, hot air nozzles with exchanger, large logs, etc.
Another even better:
http://www.maisongarden.net/inserts-foyers-bois-44.htm
http://www.maisongarden.net/inserts-foyers-bois-41.htm
In my opinion it is better than a stove to put in the fireplace at an attractive price and to install.
In any case these characteristics are essential to respect in any purchase and a stove does not respect them (without air nozzles).

There is even an insert with central Godin water heating !!
0 x