Thermal wind turbine?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: THERMAL WIND TURBINE

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 18/05/23, 17:22

The horizontal axis wind turbine is supposed to offer better performance than the vertical axis one, when they already produce slab... : roll:
0 x
BaudouinLabrique
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by BaudouinLabrique » 18/05/23, 17:24

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:Thanks for the photo but that's not the point.
The subject is the affirmation "NB I should not confuse the small domestic wind turbine (with horizontal axis) which produces electricity and the thermal wind turbine (with vertical axis) which produces heat directly."

Well, it's a "Savonius". :(
(A "thermal wind turbine", it doesn't exist...

You have a certain sense of humor!

Reminder, proof that it exists: https://solar.lowtechmagazine.com/fr/20 ... dmill.html
et
the (successful) achievement of Paristech students: https://www.retrouversonnord.be/HotEole ... eolien.pdf
0 x
«There are those who see things as they are and wonder why. Me, I see them as they could be and I say to myself: why not! (Sir Bernard Shaw)
« The future belongs to those who see the possibilities before they become obvious. (Theodore Levitt).
BaudouinLabrique
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by BaudouinLabrique » 18/05/23, 17:26

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:The horizontal axis wind turbine is supposed to offer better performance than the vertical axis one, when they already produce slab... : roll:

What you say proves that we did not read correctly!
I will not repeat here what has been said and demonstrated above!
0 x
«There are those who see things as they are and wonder why. Me, I see them as they could be and I say to myself: why not! (Sir Bernard Shaw)
« The future belongs to those who see the possibilities before they become obvious. (Theodore Levitt).
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 18/05/23, 17:30

BaudouinLabrique wrote:
GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:The horizontal axis wind turbine is supposed to offer better performance than the vertical axis one, when they already produce slab... : roll:

Weak points of the vertical wind turbine

The main disadvantage of the vertical wind turbine compared to the horizontal wind turbine is its low efficiency.
https://eolmienne.com/eolienne-horizont ... verticale/

Eh, oh, Li Hen.jpg
Eh, oh, Li Hen.jpg (230.62 KiB) Viewed 472 times
https://eolienneshop.com/blogs/blog-eol ... orizontale
0 x
BaudouinLabrique
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by BaudouinLabrique » 18/05/23, 17:32

Ahmed wrote:I mentioned solar thermal (which works well in appropriate cases) because I am much more reserved about the possibilities of small wind as presented here.

DESPITE the undeniable success of these three French students (source already cited)? : https://avenir-ingenierie.fr/wp-content ... otEole.pdf
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 18/05/23, 17:34

BaudouinLabrique wrote:
What the article omits to say and that is SIZE , is that this ONLY applies to HORIZONTAL wind turbines, as demonstrated in my previous post, which explains why some people therefore erratically (out of ignorance) put all wind turbines in the same bag!

What you don't understand is that the problem is not the technology of the wind turbine, but the resource which is extremely complicated to exploit.

It's as if we told you that a solar panel facing north placed at the bottom of a valley does not produce anything and that you came to contradict us by saying that it is because we use photovoltaic panels and not solar panels. thermal, which with their efficiency of 80%... blah-blah-blah.
3 times slab it's still slab.

When you have an exploitable wind resource, what comes out of the wind turbine in the end, who cares as long as it meets demand.
But when you have nothing exploitable, you can put all the wind turbines you want of all the kinds you want, it's not the fact that it produces sauerkraut rather than electricity that will change anything.

As for directly producing thermal energy, I personally don't see the point at all.
Producing heat is useless at least 6 months of the year... during this time what do you do with your heat? steam to turn a turbine? LOL
I prefer a lower efficiency (it remains to be demonstrated...) to produce energy that can be used for everything, all year round and which, in addition, is transported much more easily.

I have a CESI on the roof, in terms of producing heat that is useless, I know well!

In short, one more wind brewer...
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 18/05/23, 17:34

BaudouinLabrique wrote:
Ahmed wrote:I mentioned solar thermal (which works well in appropriate cases) because I am much more reserved about the possibilities of small wind as presented here.

DESPITE the undeniable success of these three French students (source already cited)? : https://avenir-ingenierie.fr/wp-content ... otEole.pdf

The undeniable success? With something that spins with a drill? Ah yes, it is superbly undeniable ... indeed!
0 x
BaudouinLabrique
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by BaudouinLabrique » 18/05/23, 17:39

BaudouinLabrique wrote:

Weak points of the vertical wind turbine

The main disadvantage of the vertical wind turbine compared to the horizontal wind turbine is its low efficiency.
https://eolmienne.com/eolienne-horizont ... verticale/

Eh, oh, Li Hen.jpg
https://eolienneshop.com/blogs/blog-eol ... orizontale

What you don't have obviously not understood is that:

1° vertical wind turbines produce BINE EARLIER than horizontal wind turbines as in the attached drawing already placed above Image

2° the Savonius-type wind turbines start up very early and even in disturbed winds like in town and already at 4 m high, whereas horizontal wind turbines are crap unless they are more than 20 m high (which is not at all the case with horizontal domestic wind turbines )

3° the performance of a wind turbine in town and too low is almost nil!
0 x
BaudouinLabrique
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by BaudouinLabrique » 18/05/23, 17:40

BaudouinLabrique wrote:

The undeniable success? With something that spins with a drill? Ah yes, it is superbly undeniable ... indeed!

Given your narrow point of view, gratuitously mocking and above all beside reality, I give up discussing with you!
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 18/05/23, 17:40

BaudouinLabrique wrote:

Do you call that a success?
You really don't need much...
Your students have just proved that by shaking water it heats up... what a discovery!
Their widget is just a "proof of concept" that demonstrates something everyone already knows.
In theory, if we operate their widget with a wind turbine, it should produce hot water. But they are far from having tested the concept in real conditions.
"Theory is a wonderland where everything always goes according to plan"
0 x