The Black File of Green Energies with Science and Life

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Rical
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Rical » 24/10/12, 12:20

In fact, I imagine a layer of flexible cellular plastic, covered with hair and artificial mini-hooks, easy to stick in the right place on the blades.
The cells of various lengths, transmitting the pressures more or less far and more or less quickly could dampen the low frequencies, and perhaps even part of the oscillations of the blades. The more or less flexible "down" would dampen the beginnings of whistling vortices.
Everything would be very economical and easy to install, would greatly reduce noise and whirlpools in a wide range of frequencies, adapt as well to news as to those already in service, promote acceptance of wind turbines and their energy efficiency.
0 x
fredericponcet
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by fredericponcet » 07/08/14, 15:55

Christophe wrote:(...) renewable energies will never be able to supply our current energy consumption.

Especially since our current energy consumption is delusional. Mediapart has just published an article on "data centers". It's incredible.

Rather than designing a decentralized internet (that was the original idea) we concentrated the servers in large buildings. Energy consequence: they must be air-conditioned! Because not only the processors designed by Intel in the years 1990-2000 are real heaters (all that just to break the consortium "RISC" IBM-Motorola-Apple, but that is not the subject) but as if that were not enough no, we had the idea of ​​concentrating them by the hundreds in the same room! So, no more operation possible without air conditioning, which everyone here doubtless knows to what extent this invention is a machine to waste energy (oppose the principles of thermodynamics, when we think that the energy used for it depends on it - even of these principles ...)
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 08/08/14, 16:05

Correct me if I am wrong: it is not the Internet in itself (the famous www), which consists in circulating data from A to B ...

This is the use made by large groups of the Internet, with data storage, therefore "data centers" - that shows what that means! It's google, googlemap, etc ... libraries, millions of forums, their images ... it's the "clouds" ...

All things that we are ... more or less accomplices! Even "econology" must be hosted somewhere!

I don't know if the dispersion would change much: it's the storage that eats up the energy; not the flow of data [and probably the "filtering" by the NSA and others!]
0 x
bamboo
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bamboo » 08/08/14, 16:26

Data centers are neither black nor white ...
- Since you take the example of econology: if it is Christophe who hosts his site himself, I think that he only needs a server (there are not millions of messages to the minute). It does not need to be air conditioned since a single PC cools easily by itself.
On the other hand, if this server was in a data center, it would have to be air-conditioned because the mass of servers means that they cannot cool down naturally.
- On the other hand, always in the case where it is Christophe who hosts his site himself. the server must be turned on 24/24 and must be sized to handle peaks of connections that happen only (at random) 7% of the time.
This implies a permanent consumption of this physical server for low usage.
Whereas if it is hosted by a data center, a single server (of equivalent power) can manage several sites. Typically, econology being franco-phone, the "European" night probably sees the activity of the forum decrease. During this time, the data center can therefore allocate part of the server to another website whose activity is centered across the Atlantic.

The assessment is therefore not so simple ...

But you're right Did, when we use internet services, we are accomplices of data centers.
0 x
Solar Production + VE + VAE = short cycle electricity
fredericponcet
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by fredericponcet » 08/08/14, 16:51

bamboo wrote:The assessment is therefore not so simple ...

Yes, the results are simple: the bulk of consumption is attributable to air conditioning, not to servers!

However, data centers are making efforts: Facebook and OVH, for example, have created non-air-conditioned data centers, or even use cogeneration with the heat given off.

Like what, all is not lost ... even if it is the electricity bill that motivates them!
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 08/08/14, 17:00

[quote = "Did67]
I don't know if the dispersion would change much: it's the storage that eats up the energy; no data circulation [and probably the "filtering" by the NSA and others [/ quote]

Storage as circulation of data requires a large amount of energy, our brain weighs only 2% of our body mass and consumes 20% of our energy .... the internet is nothing more or less than a huge multi exosomatic brain -polar.
It is therefore not surprising that it consumes a significant share of energy. [/ Quote]
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Did67

by Did67 » 09/08/14, 13:24

sen-no-sen wrote:
Storage as circulation of data requires a large amount of energy, our brain weighs only 2% of our body mass and consumes 20% of our energy .... the internet is nothing more or less than a huge multi exosomatic brain -polar.
It is therefore not surprising that it consumes a significant part of energy.
[/ Quote]

The comparison with the brain is worth what it is worth ...

What I know, but I am a computer primate, is that my HDD (hard disks) or my USB keys do not consume anything, and they keep my data, however "massive" they are ...

On the other hand, when I circulate (I charge, discharge, transfer), there, I must have a processor which turns, therefore which consumes; my DD has its motor which turns the discs ...

That's what I was trying to say.

There is internet, in the sense of data circulation.

And data centers, in the sense of "stock".

But it is true that distinguishing the two is virtual, since a data center keeps sending and receiving data ....
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 09/08/14, 13:32

bamboo wrote:- On the other hand, always in the case where it is Christophe who hosts his site himself. the server must be turned on 24/24 and must be sized to handle peaks of connections that happen only (at random) 7% of the time.
This implies a permanent consumption of this physical server for low usage.

I do not think that the location changes much: if Christophe hosts, his server also heats, but as he is alone in the middle of a room, it cools naturally ...

At work, we have a network, with servers; I don't know the size; order of magnitude: a hundred connected computers ... This server (+ backup) is located in a blind room. It had to be air conditioned.

In data centers, we only concentrate thousands and thousands of such servers. Hence the energies multiplied by as much ...

As you say, it is likely that this allows optimizations, that would not allow as many small servers dispatched to each other ...

So I don't think that the questioning of data centers brings anything: it is the questioning of the masses of data and their circulation that must be asked! Always more photos (happy days of 36-dias reels; I was going on a trip with 4 reels; so I came back with 120 photos !!) stored in "clouds" or flickr ... (good, for now , they are still very much on our DD)

Energy is not expensive enough, we always come back to the same, otherwise, I bet that these data centers would be next to industries needing heat energy (factory of coffee or dehydrated soups, for example). We don't care. Again...
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 09/08/14, 14:07

Did67 wrote: ......

Energy is not expensive enough, we always come back to the same, otherwise, I bet that these data centers would be next to industries needing heat energy (factory of coffee or dehydrated soups, for example). We don't care. Again...

some are beginning to recover this energy, an example in France:

A business incubator recovers energy from a data center

The heating network is supplied with recovery energy from a data center made up of IT equipment. They need to be constantly refreshed by refrigeration units. These release a very large volume of hot air that can now be recovered and exploited thanks to recent technological advances.

This heat is then transmitted via a heat exchanger to a heat network which will eventually supply 600.000 m2 of green energy buildings in Val d'Europe.
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 09/08/14, 14:10

Did67 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong: it is not the Internet in itself (the famous www), which consists in circulating data from A to B ...

This is the use made by large groups of the Internet, with data storage, therefore "data centers" - that shows what that means! It's google, googlemap, etc ... libraries, millions of forums, their images ... it's the "clouds" ...

All things that we are ... more or less accomplices! Even "econology" must be hosted somewhere!

I don't know if the dispersion would change much: it's the storage that eats up the energy; not the flow of data [and probably the "filtering" by the NSA and others!]

A big example:

APPLE has a billion dollar datacenter!

Apple wants to double the share of fuel cells at its Maiden data center

18 Dec 2012

The North Carolina data center will be the largest private facility of its kind in the United States, surpassing that of eBay. Its batteries will run on biogas from waste.

Apple plans to double the amount of fuel cells used to generate electricity in its $ 1 billion data center in Maiden, North Carolina, to 10 megawatts. It will thus overtake eBay to become the largest project of its kind in the United States outside of a utility company.

Apple has applied to the North Carolina Utilities Commission (NCUC) to increase its fleet of fuel cells from 4,8 megawatts to 10 megawatts, as The Charlotte Observer was the first to report .

Apple began commissioning and testing fuel cells in October 2012, according to documents filed with the NCUC. The apple firm indicates in these documents that it plans to commission its 10 megawatt facilities by January 2013.

Electricity sold on the grid

There is an important point to note: Apple's biogas fuel cells will not necessarily be used to power its data center. In documents filed with the NCUC, Apple indicates that it will sell the electricity generated by fuel cells to Duke Energy.

The fuel cells, supplied by Bloom Energy, will be powered by biogas supplied. Element Markets Renewable Energy will supply this biogas, which will be produced from methane from landfills, according to documents filed with the NCUC.

Bloom Energy also supplies fuel cells to power the next phase of eBay's flagship treatment center in Utah.

Bloom Energy manufactures solid oxide fuel cells, which are assembled by the thousands into an energy server, called the Bloom Box. The size of a parking space, the Bloom Box transforms a fuel such as natural gas or biogas into electricity. The 6 megawatt fuel cell fleet at the eBay data center uses biogas. Bloom Energy previously installed a 2010-kilowatt fuel cell system in 500 that uses biogas at eBay's headquarters in San Jose, California.

http://www.smartplanet.fr/smart-busines ... den-20193/

Maiden is also known for being home to Apple's "Cloud" Data Center, covering 500,000 square feet (46,000 m2), that stores information that can be sent / received through iCloud. In May 2012, Apple announced it would generate 60 percent of the Maiden facility's power itself, through a large deployment of fuel cells at the site and a 100-acre solar farm, with an additional 150-acre site, two miles away. [3 ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maiden,_North_Carolina
0 x