How to connect a wind car alternator

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 17/07/09, 17:09

Well, to make it simpler, I went back to the scrap yard and they exchanged my alternator, taken for a head, against a simpler model of Peugeot 205 where there is the + battery, the mass and the excitement, so no difficulties everything is indicated there. I plugged it all in and shot it. When empty, everything turns perfectly, but on excitement (which this time works), the alternator slows down and offers significant resistance to the engine which tires and overheats, so I stopped.

It is surprising this resistance, is there a way to remedy this? Where could I find a gear reduction plan with pulleys, so as not to tire the engine but at the output, provide the alternator with sufficient torque and speed when charging?. This must exist, because without it I do not see how to design a wind turbine if the Propeller resists the wind because of the resistance field of the alternator.

Thank you for your help, I did not foresee this resistance.
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 17/07/09, 19:09

Hello Darwin! :D

Good operation on a car is quite simple, when you turn the key in engine operation mode, you feed the excitation and it is done as long as the key is not in the engine stop position.

Your test engine can not provide this alternator which can produce beyond 500 watts, you must reduce the pulley of your engine to increase the torque and decrease its speed of the alternator, the alternator starts to produce at 1500 or 1600 rpm / m., your small motor can only operate if the speed in relation to the torque is the right one.

On a wind turbine you must make several tests with different pulleys in order to find the best torque / speed ratio to avoid blockage and keep a reasonable speed of use.

It is not recommended to couple the blades directly to the axis of the alternator because the bearings cannot withstand such a load.

Activating the excitation only partially is intended to save the energy it consumes, because on an automobile, consumption occurs only when the engine is running, but on a wind turbine the battery would discharge when it doesn’t there is no wind, which is not desirable.

Note that the alternator regulators only activate when a certain voltage is reached, which is why there is braking which is done suddenly, the solution is to put diode bridges and override the regulator. 'origin, but you must put another regulator not to overcharge the battery.

I hope that sheds some light on how it works.
:D
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 17/07/09, 19:59

Thank you Alain, I had just sent you an MP because I had seen in another post that you recommended replacing the regulator with a diode bridge so as to suppress the braking of the alternator when excited. I asked you the references of the diodes so that I can get it, your diagram is still in the post in question. If already I can do this and no longer have the problem of the frainage it will already be much better.

By cons to put another regulator on the battery, already what kind of regulator (and where can I find it) and how? in series with the +?

But basically you say that there is blockage of the alternator because my drive motor does not rotate fast enough?

Thank you for your information.
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 17/07/09, 21:13

Look on the technical documentation of your car for the power of the alternator.
I kept that of my BX for the day when I would do this kind of construction. It delivers more than 900W under 12V or 75A.
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
bobono
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Connection of a car alternator

by bobono » 17/07/09, 21:39

The phenomenon of writing is well known, the excitation of the stator ends up blocking the rotor if the drive is not powerful enough.

Maybe by supplying pulsed current to the excitation with a small oscillator and a relay.

I suggest you see if the continuous engine which drives the alternator in the photo does not generate.

If it is the case you make it turned and you will have + 12 to charge your battery
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 18/07/09, 04:31

I do not know how many watts it is but it is a 50 A. The idea of ​​the continuous motor in generator, I do not know, why not, but the performance will surely not be terrible, I imagine that recharging the battery will take 6 days right? : Shock: , but I can still try to train it with another engine. If the diode bridge solves my problem, at first it would be more practical.

But on the other hand if I managed to use the continuous motor as a generator, I would still have to place a regulator between the generator and the battery so as not to overcharge the battery, and in this case where to find a regulator that I can use ?.

Last question, I saw in different posts that the Brusless motors had an excellent output to be used in generators, that could very well interest me. Looking on Ebay we find several engines, which do you think would be perfectly suitable to be used as a generator for a wind turbine?
http://shop.ebay.fr/?_from=R40&_trksid= ... Categories

Thank you.
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 18/07/09, 11:28

Easy, 50A x 12V = 600W roughly.
In fact as to charge the battery the voltage is higher than 12V, it is a little more but 600 W is the power on which we can reason.
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 18/07/09, 13:18

Ha yes, I'm stupid P = U * I :)
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 18/07/09, 14:06

By cons Alain, in your diagram with diode bridge in place of the regulator, so we no longer need excitement is that it? if not where is it made?

0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 18/07/09, 18:31

darwenn

Ho La La!

I missed a few posts.

Bobono wrote:
Maybe by supplying pulsed current to the excitation with a small oscillator and a relay.

It cannot work because once the excitation is done, the magnetic field self-maintains.

Bobono wrote:
I suggest you see if the continuous engine that drives the alternator in the photo does not generate.

It can work but you would have to overdrive the engine speed.

darwenn wrote:
Last question, I saw in different posts that the Brusless motors had an excellent output to be used in generators, that could very well interest me. Looking on Ebay we find several engines, which do you think would be perfectly suitable to be used as a generator for a wind turbine?
http://shop.ebay.fr/?_from=R40&_trksid= ... Categories

These engines are not very efficient and must run at very very high speeds in generator mode.

ex-océano wrote:
Easy, 50A x 12V = 600W roughly.
In fact as to charge the battery the voltage is higher than 12V, it is a little more but 600 W is the power on which we can reason.

The voltage is around 14.5 to 15 volts
14.5 volts X 50 = 725 watts (may vary depending on the alternators).

darwenn wrote:
By cons Alain, in your diagram with diode bridge in place of the regulator, so we no longer need excitement is that it? if not where is it made?

No you still have to use the excitement, some people have placed two small 180 degree magnets stuck inside the rotor and it seems to work.

For diode bridges here is where you can find them:

In France:
http://www.conrad.fr/ponts_redresseurs_ ... s&ns_fee=0

In Quebec:
http://www.acceselectronique.ca
Montreal:
http://www.maddison.ca/
:D
0 x