How to connect a wind car alternator

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

How to connect a wind car alternator

by darwenn » 16/07/09, 17:57

hello, here I made a small montage (see photos). A car alternator (from Ford Fiesta believe it) driven by a powerful and very fast 12 volt torque model starter motor. Only at the multimeter I only measure 5 volts between terminal 1 and 3 of the alternator and nothing between terminal 1 and 2 which I think should go to the battery to be charged. In short it is not normal and I saw that it was necessary to bring an excitation voltage to the alternator, but this is where it gets tougher

The engine that drives the alternator is plugged into a 12 volt car battery and what I would like is to charge another battery with the alternator, at least for my experience.

I suppose that the + to the battery to be charged is terminal 1 and the least terminal 2 (although that I can verify it with the multimeter by measuring the output voltage which should be around 14 volts after what i read)

Then terminals 3, 4 and 5 is this where you need to bring an excitation voltage of 12 volts? if so can i take these 12 volts on the same battery that powers the drive motor? and if so, where is the most excitement and the least excitement going? that's what I don't understand.

Thank you very much for your lights. The goal is to create a wind turbine.
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 16/07/09, 18:39

Hello Darwin!

The terminals should be connected as follows:

1) seems to be the mass of the alternator to be checked with an ohmeter using the box. To be connected directly to the battery.
2) must be the positive (if 1 is earth) to be connected directly to the battery.
3-4) seems to be the same bound. amperage gauge (Check with ohm meter).
5) excitation

You connect terminals 1 and 2 to the battery then you take a wire that you connect to 3-4 and you touch the positive of the alternator for one or 2 seconds, with a voltmeter check the voltage at the battery, it must go up at 14.5 volts or more (if your engine is powerful enough to supply the alternator, which I doubt a little).

If with 3-4 the excitation is not done, test terminal 5 for 1 or 2 seconds on the positive.

Take care to rotate the alternator clockwise, which must be the original.
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 16/07/09, 18:56

Thank you, tomorrow I will put a pulley 5 times wider on the drive motor so as to increase the speed of rotation of the alternator, as a precaution but the assembly is already rotating very quickly, the 12V motor is very good at this sense, at least as fast as a drill motor at full throttle. I don't know its rpm, however. This kind of engine is used on the starting benches of petrol cars in model building. The assembly rotates well clockwise.

In short, thank you for your explanations, I had not been careful indeed that 3-4 were together. But according to what I have read it is not recommended to connect the explanation directly to the +, you must put a bulb, if that is what I will put in series a headlight bulb, is this correct ?.

What is weird is that by recovering this alternator in a breakage, the terminal 2 were covered with a rubber cap, as if it was not used. So in this case where the mass is connected? on the alternator chassis I guess .. and so the + battery is in this case terminal 1.

I will do these tests tomorrow afternoon. As long as it works.
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 16/07/09, 19:10

if your engine can run 1500 rpm, do not change the pulley because you will lose too much torque, 1500 rpm is enough to run the alternator.

The ground is on the case, and if a cap was on the 2, well indeed it must be the positive, but you can check with an ohmeter.

You do not have to excite more than 2 seconds, after the magnetic flux self-maintains by itself until the charge request stops. For a test you can connect directly.
:D
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 16/07/09, 19:33

Ok thank you, so if I understand correctly, once the battery is charged, the alternator runs empty. But when the battery is a little discharged, if I want the charging to resume I will have to plug the excitation two seconds again is that it? that's boring, I thought that the regulator took care of this task on its own. With a light bulb can I leave the excitement on all the time? it will be more practical, otherwise I would have to use a system with a timed relay so as to capture a drop in battery voltage to replenish the excitation for 2 seconds to restart recharging.
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 16/07/09, 22:40

Yes, the alternator is running empty.

The 2 conditions to reactivate the alternator are:
1) request for charging by the battery or batteries.
2) 2 seconds of excitation to recreate the magnetic flux

If one of the 2 conditions is not there, the alternator does not start.

Here is a way to start the excitement for use in wind turbines:

a deflector placed horizontally which is activated by the force of the wind.

You can add a 2 second timer to avoid consuming it or add a light in series and observe when the charge is done.
:D
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 17/07/09, 04:33

Thank you Alain, but what I don't understand is in normal use in a car, it is therefore at start-up by turning the key that excitement is created, but then, while driving if the battery is full , no excitement, but if then, I request the battery (lighting headlights etc ...), what is it, in a car already running, will boost the excitement?.

I really ignored this detail, I thought that we could leave the excitation plugged in all the time and that the regulator activated it automatically or not according to the needs of charge of the battery, annoying that.

If there is no way without having to relaunch the excitement each time, I will create as I think, a timed relay which will relaunch the excitation let's say, every 10 or 20 minutes, for 2 seconds.
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 17/07/09, 04:57

At the same time I am trying to tell myself that if I use the battery permanently, the alternator will recharge it permanently since it will never be full, but kept at a constant state of charge. Perhaps this is the principle of the car too, the battery being always stressed, there is never a moment when the alternator stops recharging, am I wrong?.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 17/07/09, 12:21

the battery is full, no excitement, but if then, I request the battery (lighting of the headlights etc ...), what is it, in a car already running, will revive the excitation?.

I really ignored this detail, I thought that we could leave the excitation plugged in all the time and that the regulator activated it automatically or not according to the needs of charge of the battery, annoying that.

Good, at start-up, the circuit passes the current from the battery to the rotor, then the regulator makes a connection in "self-excitation". Several schemes and principles are possible, but there is always a current flowing in the rotor. Some regulators are integrated into the alternator.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 17/07/09, 13:25

Good uh .. finally on my alternator the regulator is integrated, but that does not change the principle of having to bring an excitation voltage from the battery as indicated above right?
0 x