EPR, to the dregs for EDF and Areva?

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: EPR, to the dregs for EDF and Areva?

by gegyx » 26/02/24, 13:46

Eiffage
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 26/02/24, 14:03

Remundo wrote:But we will have Mr Simple who will come and ask me if I have figures to justify the EPR fiasco and say that my criticisms are only based on unfounded hatred of the powers in place...

As I am challenged (well, I think?), let's try to answer...
Politicians and their reversals do indeed have a part of “responsibility”.
But the basic error, in my opinion, is to have wanted to design a Franco-German reactor, supposed to meet the "historical" requirements in force in each of the two countries, hence a thousand sheets of specifications and rules design resulting in a “thing” that was not really “optimized” and difficult to build. When the Germans gradually left the boat between 2000 and 2011, the damage was done.
This is not an “attack” against the Germans, rather an observation.
2 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/02/24, 14:04

gegyx wrote:Eiffage

It’s in heavy construction, right?
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/02/24, 14:12

sicetaitsimple wrote:But the basic error, in my opinion, is to have wanted to design a Franco-German reactor, supposed to meet the "historical" requirements in force in each of the two countries, hence a thousand sheets of specifications and rules design resulting in a “thing” that was not really “optimized” and difficult to build. When the Germans gradually left the boat between 2000 and 2011, the damage was done.
This is not an “attack” against the Germans, rather an observation.

I'm not surprised by this affair (which I had vaguely heard about)...In short, another dirty trick by the Germans to weaken French nuclear power (they don't care, they have plenty of coke...)! : Mrgreen:

And it is “we” who pay for this betrayal! : Lol:

How much was the contract termination compensation?

Are there many people who still don't understand that the Germans have an economic hatred towards France?
That strictly all their political decisions on economic cooperation are in Germany's interest?
That French engineers are interesting but especially when they are interns... (and it's a former Alsatian engineering student who says that...)

The Franco-German axis of economic cooperation is rather a big farce. All they want is to export their cars or their chemicals and weaken France economically and financially...it's been like that for decades...

I wonder where it comes from...

We buy their HK416 from them, they buy F35s that are much worse than our Rafales... look for the mistake!

European cooperation is beautiful...one-way...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 26/02/24, 15:17

Christophe wrote:I'm not surprised by this affair (which I had vaguely heard about).

On this thread, page21! I copy:
"You are rewriting history, in addition by making a mistake because the last 4 reactors (Chooz and Civaux) are 1450MW.
The EPR is a Franco-German concept originally called REP2000 (the year), which aimed to have an identical design for France and Germany.
As a result, we added up all the criteria, taking the most conservative each time, until for internal reasons Germany withdrew from any new nuclear project.....And we stayed with this thing.. .
So yes, of course, building a copy of Chooz or Civaux if necessary would have been much smarter. But that's not the story...
"

Well, that's okay, what I'm saying is consistent with what I said at the end of 2022...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/02/24, 15:44

Heard vaguely spoken there...I even gave you a like...

Well, that's okay, what I'm saying is consistent with what I was doing at the end of 2022... : Mrgreen: : Lol:

ps: 1.6 / 1.45 = +10%, the EPR gain is even lower compared to our last REPs...so it's even worse than what I said at the time...yet (it seems to me...) it is not a big problem on such installations to increase the power of the core and the rest (Chernobyl 4 increased to more than 20 GW thermal before exploding...)...

But there are other factors that come into play than just the power of the heart...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/02/24, 17:06

Christophe wrote:
When a country's literacy and general education levels are falling, you don't see it right away (except on RS like the videos "Nianiania am a young woktrans aligned with the Moon of Jupiter"...Hopla 20M views...) but it ends up being seen for a few years later on industrial projects, now almost untenable like that of the EPR...

Illustration of the day:

IMG_1419.jpeg
IMG_1419.jpeg (65.92 KIO) Accessed 428 times
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 26/02/24, 18:22

Christophe wrote: Chernobyl 4 reached more than 20 GW thermal power before exploding...)...

:( :( :(
The level of stupidity of this remark is indeed overpowering....Was it to illustrate your post which follows?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/02/24, 19:01

: Shock: Uh no I was serious...What's stupid? : Shock:

I just wanted to say that we could make nuclear reactors of 15 to 20 GW thermal (so 5 to 7 GW electric)...but as I said there are other factors than the power of the core!

ps: thanks for the stupid... : Cry: : Cry: : Cry:
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 26/02/24, 19:18

Christophe wrote:we could make nuclear reactors of 15 to 20 GW thermal

If you say so...
What's stupid is the reference to Chernobyl, even if the 20GW is accurate, which I don't know.
0 x