Battery (battery pack) Nickel Zinc to 1.6V better than NiMh?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/11/10, 20:21

I do not think much about it ... I'm jerked! : Mrgreen:

But about NiMh, I have not stopped, I found this: https://www.econologie.com/forums/duree-de-v ... 10160.html
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 15/11/10, 20:40

I like what is easy to manufacture, that's why I like the lead battery ... NiCd or NiHm are too expensive ... and do not talk about lithium

nickel zin is a promise for the low price of its materials

it has been used successfully in an electric railcar in England

there is interresing explanation the
http://www.ul.ie/~childsp/CinA/Issue46/fam_chem.html

it gives a good indication on the manufacture of the electrode: the zinc electrode is not in zinc but in nickel too: when the battery is empty all the zinc is in the electrolyte: during the charge the zinc is deposited on the electrode

if the only problem is that the zinc deposits unevenly, accumulates at a certain place until a short circuit, I have a solution! to share the negative electrode in 2 group and to discharge the battery once on 2 with priority on a group of electrode, and the other time with the other group: so each time half of the plates will arrive at the complete disappearance of the zinc So any accumulation of zinc will be removed ... if it's an idea to patent it's too late! it's leaked!

to make the electrodes still positive: the edison method is obsolete: the current frie electrode method is better: fried nickel + chemical deposit of nickel oxide inside

fortunately I never throw anything ... all my old NiCd baterie will be dismounted
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 15/11/10, 23:45

The vice president (and researcher at the CNRS) of an association of which I am part ensures the technological watch on the batteries, he visited SCPS several times, other members of the asso, which belong to the SAFT also studied them .
This is 2 years that we follow their work, with the hope to replace one day the NiCd batteries of our VE NiZn ... But for now, nothing conclusive ...
:|
0 x
enzo20134
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by enzo20134 » 16/11/10, 00:04

to answer misses,

Thanks to Chatelot for the inventory!

Concerning the bromine zinc, if the wikipedia figures are exact the specific energy and power are of the same order of magnitude as the lead so not really interesting except for stationary storage.

Nickel hydrogen looks nice but good 80 bars of hydrogen and platinum leaves me a little thoughtful that has a future for the general public ...

Regarding SCPS and memory, the bosses were looking to sell their company for tens of millions of euros when they did not seem able to demonstrate the results they were advancing ... and refused that experts look at their baby for fear of being robbed of their know-how ... yet protect by patents! in short, my little finger tells me that there is a whale under a pebble!
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 16/11/10, 00:11

do not look for anything at these brans .... de SCPS

James J. Drumm's drums (1897 - 1974) ran an 1932 train at 1948 from Dublin to Bray

so the first step is to make what has already worked
http://www.ul.ie/~childsp/CinA/Issue46/fam_chem.html

for me the future of the battery is a dismountable battery and reparable: not easy with the sulfuric acid that must be 100% lead: the presence of any other metal poison the system

with caustic potash it is much easier, iron and nickel support it perfectly: the whole structure of the battery is absolutely durable, the zinc gives a better density of energy, I think that at the time of drumm the problem of the short circuit of zinc was solved by frequent disassembly, I hope to solve it by double electrode and alternating discharge, but the disassembly to repair what is lost will remain possible

citro when your batteries are dead do not throw them even if it is not planned to be dismounted it will be possible to do something ... and even if you know a car like battery dead I am a buyer!
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 16/11/10, 00:28

enzo20134 wrote:Regarding SCPS and memory, ... they did not seem able to demonstrate the results they were advancing ... in short my little finger tells me that there is whale under pebble!
chatelot16 wrote:do not look for anything at these brans .... de SCPS
Indeed it cuts other info that I had ... You formulate it more credibly. : Lol:
chatelot16 wrote:for me the future of the battery is a dismountable battery and reparable: not easy with the sulfuric acid that must be 100% lead: the presence of any other metal poison the system
I do not understand...
The acid is not 100%, it is diluted between 30 and 38%. :frown:
I am wrong. :?:
And then do not add water just when the level drops. :?
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 16/11/10, 00:48

The chatelot16 link on the zinc-nickel oxide cell by James J. Drumm (1897 - 1974) in the 1932 1942 years seems to show that he had realized everything necessary for the electric car of functional on a 85 battery train on 160 miles with a single charge !! and with braking with efficient energy recovery !! A battery with great current in addition without loss of load, nor overload allowing great accelerations !!!!.

We really want to reproduce this beautiful battery performance!in smaller.
We have the impression that we failed to use old batteries very powerful to find !!

electrode + with NI NIO and that - with ZnO dissolved in potash which deposits Zn on a grid of Ni.
We really feel that the James J. Drumm had solved the problem and we must recover his creativity on a simple battery, powerful!

I share chatelot16's desire to try and see how to get rid of the growing Zn dendrites.
At least mechanically with a grid that mechanically breaks the Zn dendrite crystals that grow towards the other electrode by losing Zn disconnected from the electrode.
The difficulty is to keep a contact of the Zn with the electrode, which is impossible in the recharge of the battery Daniel which with ZnSO4 gives Zn in frightful powder.
It does not matter much: Ni NiO sheet powder (conductive oxide) a Ni grid of ZnO dissolved in pure potash.

Unless I do not understand well, fully discharge the electrode, remove all the metallic Zn, but I'm not sure that it prevents repelling Zn dendrites at the next recharge, on nucleation centers of the nickel grid.
It is not sure that the strong discharge totally removes the few Zn atoms or the impurities that ensure this nucleation !!
Dendrites are needle crystals that grow in very fast growth conditions, whereas at low currents it must be possible to have more flat crystals.
It must be well understood the nucleation and growth mechanisms in dendrites and crystals.
Can a semi-permeable wall prevent dendrites from making short circuits?

The batteries are often blocked by microcosmic phenomena very difficult to explain and predict.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 16/11/10, 01:13

when we discard and that the zinc has disappeared from the majority of the surface it is flat, and the exes of zinc present on small part have not disappeared, and on the pole + we arrive at the end of the quantity nickel oxide

but with electrodes - shared in 2 group we can unload first half of the plates - which will not exhaust the nickel oxide of all the plates + and during the end of the discharge with the other half plates - there will be enough to remove these exes of zinc

finally it's just an idea, the experience will show me maybe it's completely wrong, but the experience will show me something else ... it's not the first time that an experience for a misconception allows me to find another

it's once again the hazard that allows me to find this interresting battery when I thought I had exhausted the subject on the internet

thanks to this forum : Idea:
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 16/11/10, 03:07

You can buy NiZn on Amazon US and see them arrive in France !!
Also there are full of opinion on amazon on these Ni-Zn batteries who walk not so badly or perfectly !!
It is worth buying, testing and dismantling the price !!!
http://www.amazon.com/PowerGenix-ZR-PGX ... Descending

critical:
This review is from: PowerGenix ZR-PGX1HRAA-4B 1 Hour Quick Charger with 4 AA 1.6v NiZn Rechargeable Batteries (Electronics)
I bought the camera and bought it from Wolf Camera about a year ago. During camping, I live the batteries in my 16W florescent light and recharge them when it comes to 4 times. Some of them refused to load because of the charge gave to blinking red light. I was able to accept those charging them on an ice battery analyzer for about 5 mAH at 100mA or up to 200V cutoff and putting them back in the load. They would accept a charge, but the capacity was less than 1.9Ah. I did discharge test on all 1 of 16 and down to 1 V and wrote the capacity on them one year later. The best one did 1.2 mAH, the rest were 1033-500 mAH. Many have died. 800 had internal shorts that would drain them to 3V in a day. 0 more died too quickly to be used with the others. 2 started to recharge the first time I recharged it. About half a dozen are rejected by the charger. The problem with them is that you have to drain them about 1 / 1 of the way and charge them right away or they die. This is impractical in reality because they have a high voltage. By the time your camera, light, GPS, or whatever act like batteries are weak, you have drained them too much to charge them again. Stay away! I would not expect 3 year or 1 charge cycles. Unless your device will not work with NiMH or alkaline batteries I would not like it because it's worth it.

Satisfied less demanding!
owerGenix ZR-PGX1HRAA-4B 1 Hour Quick Charger with 4 AA 1.6V NiZn Rechargeable Batteries (Electronics)
I've been using these new nickel-zinc cells for about 2 now. I'm impressed by how long they will power things compared to the usual NiMh cells.

I have a Magellan GPS unit that uses 2 AA's. It was probably designed for alkaline cells. New alkaline cells give a full scale battery bargraph, but freshly charged NiMh cells only make the bargraph hit about 80%. NiMh cells drop by half hour after an hour. I only get about 4 hours with NiMh cells before the voltage drops too low and it turns itself off. Alkaline will last about 7 hours. The new PowerGenix NiZn cells gives a full scale battery bargraph for 3-1 / 2 hours, then it slowly drops off the unit turns off. My first test powered the GPS for 6 hours and 20 minutes, the second time it went 6 hours and 55 minutes. I left the batteries in the middle of the 4 hours instead of 2. With my GPS, the PowerGenix AA's lasted almost twice as long as 2200mAh NiMh.

I also used these in my Fuji digital camera that uses 2 AA's. They also last longer than NiMh cells have used in the past. The LCD display is also a little brighter with the NiZn cells.

I have a little Grundig G6 radio that also uses 2 AA's. It will not turn on with these installed. I'm guessing that the radio is sensing the voltage (about 3.6 volts) and will not power up. This is the only device I have found so far that is not happy with the NiZn cells.

When these come out of the load, they read about 1.82 volts without a load using my Fluke DMM. Of course the voltage will drop when the current is discharged.

To sum it up, these cells act a lot more like alkaline cells with higher voltage available. 1.2 volts per cell when comparing to NiMh types. These start off at a higher voltage than when you need to recharge.

Give these a try, I think you'll be happy. I'll be buying more AAA and some of the AAA size when they are available.
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 16/11/10, 08:13

dedeleco wrote:but I'm not sure that it prevents repelling Zn dendrites at the next recharge, on nucleation centers of the nickel grid.

If the problem is the existence of some nucleation centers, as for the champagne bubbles, there are 2 solutions:

- have a "nickel" surface condition to eliminate any nucleation center: very difficult! (funny the use of the word "nickel" in this sense and in this context :-);

- understand the anomalies which form a nucleation center, and on the contrary multiply them over the entire surface, so that no point is "favored".

I think that the progress made in metallurgy of powder sintering could solve the problem very elegantly, by increasing in addition the apparent surface of the electrode.
0 x
See you soon !