Voles, the 2021 hunt is on

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: Voles, the 2021 hunt is on

by Did67 » 28/08/21, 09:38

Biobombe wrote:It depends on the type of worm.

Let the mole feed on worms, no doubt.

Which ? Epigés? Anecic? Those fallen in its galleries, I would say. So I think both. The mole being in the dark, must hunt indifferently day and night ...

The arbitration in my opinion lies in the appreciation of the importance of this predation, compared to the present "herd" and to the positive effects of the activity of the moles (galleries, aeration of the ground, ...).

Personally, I leave the moles behind. And regret when they are caught in my traps. Once a rat-mole family has been eradicated, I therefore remove the trap at this place ... to limit the catches of moles.
0 x
Miaos
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Miaos » 28/08/21, 19:40

The abovegrounds being mainly in the vegetable litter, are they not above the galleries? I would tend to believe that the mole feeds mainly on those who "dive" more willingly, that is to say the anecics and the epianecics, therefore those that interest us. The air of nothing, the galleries are still far from the surface, at least at home in my loose and deep soil.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 28/08/21, 19:54

I think you are right !!!
0 x
jardama
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by jardama » 28/08/21, 21:15

I spoke with a farmer this afternoon. I tell him I notice mole rats don't eat bean roots (well, I see that) He tells me 'they don't like legumes. Sowing clover, that can help or another legume "
I do not know if someone has made this observation?
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 29/08/21, 00:09

jardama wrote:I spoke with a farmer this afternoon. I tell him I notice mole rats don't eat bean roots (well, I see that) He tells me 'they don't like legumes. Sowing clover, that can help or another legume "

If they have nothing + to eat, they attack them too. The mole rat prefers root vegetables. And so, as currently the roots are not very numerous and if he has no choice, he will not be difficult. Sowing clover, for me, improves the structure of the soil while also enriching it with nitrogen.
But as for keeping mole rats away, I doubt it. But who knows? As soon as I see one, I ask him!
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 29/08/21, 00:17

Did67 wrote:
Biobombe wrote:It depends on the type of worm.

Worms that kill other worms, have you ever seen them? They are Nungara Obamas from Argentina. 72 French departures are affected.
It is growing at the rate of 1000 per hectare per day.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 29/08/21, 09:20

jardama wrote:I spoke with a farmer this afternoon. I tell him I notice mole rats don't eat bean roots (well, I see that) He tells me 'they don't like legumes. Sowing clover, that can help or another legume "

I would be more careful ... I had very occasionally, a severed bean ... More often, bean plants (like a little bit of everything) raised ...

I just think that they prefer large roots (or tubers): carrots, chicory, potatoes, dahlias, etc ...

The same could be said of "herbs". Thinking that they don't like ... And yet, there are many mole rats in ... the meadows! There is no big damage because there are no big roots ...

Or chews. Have you ever seen mole rat damage on lamb's lettuce (except plants that are raised)? Nothing to eat!

Sounds like "pseudo-reasoning" to me ...

On the other hand, yes, they "like" (it is indeed an attraction) the roots which store inulin (this other "slow sugar" which gives its characteristic aroma to artichokes, Jerusalem artichokes, etc. - and flatulence. that go with it).

Sweet clover is reputed to be "repellent". It is a legume (today "fabacea"). I wanted to try it a few years ago ... And I skipped. I even have to have seeds somewhere. Obviously outdated!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 29/08/21, 09:23

Biobombe wrote:
Worms that kill other worms, have you ever seen them? They are Nungara Obamas from Argentina. 72 French departures are affected.
It is growing at the rate of 1000 per hectare per day.

Never seen.

It is reported almost everywhere, but "settles" especially on the Atlantic rim. Elsewhere, it seems the conditions don't suit him that much.

Warning: this is one of the risks associated with the purchase / exchange of seedlings in uncontrolled buckets ... [Little chance of picking them up in industrial soil used by industrial plant producers - another case where " what is cool "is not necessarily what is" efficient "- like the exchange of seeds of unidentified origin)]. It is better to make them yourself. It will not fall from the sky!
0 x
jardama
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by jardama » 29/08/21, 11:42

The opinions are interesting and allow you to wander less. I think I, maybe made a mistake. A few years ago a neighbor gave me Jerusalem artichokes. I let it grow telling me how nice it is and then not too much time to harvest them so I left them in the ground in winter. it must have made easy food for them and maybe it helped "settle" them in this space.
Will I have to look at the dalhias? There are a few feet that I also leave in the ground in winter ...

I had bought some sweet clover seeds: I will give it a try.

I have another plot (10m x 3m) about a hundred meters away where last year "they" ate 2/3 of the potato harvest, celeriac stalks, courgette stems. .
This year I sowed peas where I put castor granules at the bottom of the row while sowing. In this same space, this winter, it served as surface composting: a lot of pumpkin seeds .. which grew in the middle of the peas, very abundant.
Note: they are still there whereas last year they had been eaten! Well ... let's not claim victory too quickly.
Can that say something about the effectiveness of castor?
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 29/08/21, 11:48

mole rats
foot rakes are useful for gardeners! : Cheesy:
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"