Techniques for protecting stakes in the ground?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Techniques for protecting stakes in the ground?

by Moindreffor » 13/06/20, 17:54

Did67 wrote:
dede2002 wrote:
Can we transform PS into PVC?

So that would surprise me!

Styrene is already a cyclic molecule (a C6 cycle), without chlorine, while vinyl chloride is an alphene (linear hydrocarbon with double bond) with a chlorine atom!

Then, when we heat them, we certainly break some of the long chains made up of these links, but it seems difficult to me, in a pan, to "polymerize" ...

I'm the one who talked about PVC, but in "plastics" the family is large, with acetone either you dilute or you break I don't know anymore, my studies are far away, I think it's more giving back with polystyrene a "liquid" consistency and sticky indeed, but it works very well already tried also personally

the treatment in the oven, it is a means of wood protection, for all that is exterior wood, garden border, stake, grating etc ... it gives them a little yellow green color
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 13/06/20, 18:36

In these treatments, there is the worst (chromium, etc.) and the least worst ... Alas, many of these products come from the East, with standards that are still in their infancy! But hey, I use it too! As I drive my car ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/06/20, 19:06

Uh tell me if I said bullshit but a super ecological method to stabilize wood without any chemicals is to "carbonize" it? That is to say burn its surface on a few mm ...

I am wrong ?
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 13/06/20, 19:18

Christophe wrote:Uh tell me if I said bullshit but a super ecological method to stabilize wood without any chemicals is to "carbonize" it? That is to say burn its surface on a few mm ...

I am wrong ?

In any case, it hardens the wood, that's for sure. Then, if it is a resinous wood, the resin will turn into tar under the burnt layer and will act as a mildew protector and repellant, hence the pine tar and methylated spirits.
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 13/06/20, 20:04

Swiss_Knight wrote:Hello,

I am looking for ideas to protect the part of wooden or bamboo stakes / stakes that I plant in the soil in the vegetable garden to allow them to last longer (each year I can shorten my stakes by the buried length so much they are eaten by the mushrooms).
I was thinking of a form of concrete type mineral plaster. without "junk food" (for example I want to avoid certain metals such as copper).
Does that make sense?
Would you see other interesting things?

Thank you

personally my bamboos are reusable from one year to the next, good in the long run they split too much and I replace them, but as I have bamboos in my garden I don't miss any! if not you could perhaps try to heal putty for trees?
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/06/20, 20:04

So I'm not going to be deceived !! : Mrgreen:
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 13/06/20, 20:05

we blazed the fence posts in locust that we cut with my old ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Did67

by Did67 » 13/06/20, 21:32

Wood "retified", that is to say roughly "cooked" (at I do not know what temperature) is one of the modern ways, less polluting than autoclave treatments, to make durable cladding, which hardly moves. more. In fact, we "roast" the soluble nutrients that feed the fungi.

http://www.slp-thermowood.fr/bardage-bois-retifie/

[Attention, the durations are for siding; they are not buried in the ground, which remains moist]

Yes, in the past, we burnt the stakes to fence the meadows. You just have to find the "right mix". If you burn too much, it cracks, gets thinner ... In the countryside, we got it under control. I saw it done, but my memories are no longer precise enough to describe ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 13/06/20, 21:37

The picketing of the stakes was done traditionally, but I am not sure of the effectiveness of the process: I remember that studies had not in any way demonstrated it ...
With regard to steamed wood, it is more a question of impregnation with a phase of depression followed by another of overpressure in the presence of not really "terrible" preservatives; this is done with class 3 conservation woods, in other words woods which are poorly resistant to rotting, such as pines and which, soaking up easily, are then found in category 1.
Another, healthier possibility consists in roasting the wood: the heat transforms part of the constituents of the wood and, with a certain reduction in mechanical strength, makes it almost unassailable by fungi and not very sensitive to the recovery of humidity.
Finally, locust wood remains a "must" in terms of rot resistance with a class 1 obtained without any artifice ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Swiss_Knight
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Swiss_Knight » 13/06/20, 22:39

Christophe wrote:Uh tell me if I say bullshit but a super green method to stabilize wood without any chemicals is to "carbonize" it? That is to say burn its surface on a few mm ...

I am wrong ?

Ah yes! Why not !
Some time ago I discovered an identical technique (which I found brilliant) when I was looking for a "natural" method to avoid synthetic paints on a removable wooden frame which I use as a greenhouse for the spring in order to protect it. keep as long as possible.

It is an ancestral technique in Japan which bears the name of Shou Sugi Ban (焼 杉 板) and / or Yakisugi (焼 杉).
There are lots of videos on YouTube, including this one that sums up the thing, no frills:

The Wikipedia page is not the richest but still interesting; https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakisugi
They use that to protect the construction timber of houses from a whole lot of environmental factors, therefore the risk of fire (it is perhaps counter-intuitive but it is founded), wood-boring insects or lignivorous fungi. Among others. There is even a renewed interest in the West for this technique, as evidenced by this article from the New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/t-ma ... i-ban.html and many other architectural sites. Others make them (very beautiful) objects, it is even an art in this sense I find.

It can therefore be tempted!
2 x