Small vegetable garden 69 on the way to laziness

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Re: Small vegetable patch 69 on the way to laziness

by stephgouv » 29/10/20, 07:41

Alkaline,
is your hay bed thick enough until spring?
My parents had this problem with dry bundled hay put in April. And the lifting of adventures is done very quickly.
For my part, I unrolled a 250kg hay ball for my 35m2. And just had 3 or 4 dandelion and buttercup breakouts mastered in a row.

On the other hand, I struggled to push the dibble through the 30cm.
0 x
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by alkaline » 29/10/20, 13:40

stephgouv wrote:Alkaline,
is your hay bed thick enough until spring?
My parents had this problem with dry bundled hay put in April.

Indeed I am seriously asking myself the question, I put everything I had on hand as hay but it's 15 to 20cm, I still have straw, it is surely better than not enough hay ... or cover more over but am not convinced ...
0 x
it depends
Stef72
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Stef72 » 30/10/20, 11:32

in my opinion, 15 to 20 cm is the minimum for what you are wearing now. can you add a little on top?
it also depends on the "strength" of the shoot. I have a corner or if I do not put the dose it goes straight through. It must be said that in this area there are sturdy things like common reeds, so you have to regularly pull out what is protruding.
Good start for you in any case, we look forward to the rest ...
1 x
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by alkaline » 30/10/20, 14:50

Stef72 wrote:in my opinion, 15 to 20 cm is the minimum for what you are wearing now. can you add a little on top?
it also depends on the "strength" of the shoot. I have a corner or if I do not put the dose it goes straight through. It must be said that in this area there are sturdy things like common reeds, so you have to regularly pull out what is protruding.
In this corner last year I especially saw bindweed and quackgrass break through ... a little cinquefoil but it doesn't bother too much, it's the most painful and tough bindweed :x

stephgouv wrote: For my part, I unrolled a 250kg hay ball for my 35m2.
Oh yes anyway ! I don't have as much in reserve ... I think I'll complete with a layer of straw on top ... it will protect well.
stephgouv wrote:On the other hand, I struggled to push the dibble through the 30cm.
it's caving drilling : Cheesy:
0 x
it depends
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by alkaline » 31/10/20, 18:23

Well, I took advantage of the good weather to put on a layer : Lol: I opted for the straw because I had a whole roll of it.
A friend who has a boarding house for horses provides me with organic manure and straw but it's difficult to ask him for hay because he feeds the horses with ...

I struggled to spread the straw:
Cannot operate the entire roll on my own - I do have a "woofer" but it is not always available : Cheesy:

So I assembled patchwork straw patches and qd the boot was well reduced I was finally able to unroll it.
2020-10-31 18.25.00.jpg
We can see the galley side on the left and the unrolled side very clean on the right

Random result but now there is 30cm I am happy to have done it !!
Last edited by alkaline the 31 / 10 / 20, 18: 47, 1 edited once.
3 x
it depends
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 31/10/20, 18:35

I was very disappointed by the straw this year, I don't know if it's too late but the straw for the first layer is better, at home it went better when I was able to cover this straw something else
1 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by alkaline » 31/10/20, 18:46

Moindreffor wrote:I was very disappointed by the straw this year, I don't know if it's too late but the straw for the first layer is better, at home it went better when I was able to cover this straw something else
aargh :| Damn then! I can't see myself removing and turning over the layers, so we'll see, it'll be an experiment. : Mrgreen:
0 x
it depends
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 31/10/20, 18:51

Alkaline wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:I was very disappointed by the straw this year, I don't know if it's too late but the straw for the first layer is better, at home it went better when I was able to cover this straw something else
aargh :| Damn then! I can't see myself removing and turning over the layers, so we'll see, it'll be an experiment. : Mrgreen:

the straw is coarser, it lets through a lot more light and wind, it dries faster and it decomposes much more slowly than hay, so for me it feeds less, but if you already have fertility it's less of a problem, after seeing that you have a layer of hay, plus a layer of straw it's an intermediary I only had a layer of straw at the start
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 31/10/20, 19:13

Alkaline wrote:aargh :| Damn then! I can't see myself removing and turning over the layers, so we'll see, it'll be an experiment.

But no, do not panic! : Lol:

First, because it is only the last day of October, so it takes about 6 months before starting to plant towards the end of April,. Except perhaps for a few alliaceae or broad beans in March, then you will have to scratch a little to find the ground and make them a little cozy nest.

Then because it is never forbidden to remove mulch here or there and to put it aside if we realize that it will indeed interfere with the plants (I am not talking about the seedlings, there it is necessary to thin out in all This is often the case with leaf mulches, for example, you have to clear them more or less because it makes quite compact layers. But you just do it in a small part depending on what you want to plant. A rake ...

You will have to ask your woofer to help you, he may be more motivated in the spring! : Lol:
1 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 02/11/20, 10:21

Nothing prevents you from putting a thin layer of mowing grass on top to balance the C / N with the straw.
1 x