Small vegetable garden 69 on the way to laziness

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Small vegetable garden 69 on the way to laziness

by alkaline » 19/09/20, 19:49

Hello everybody

I have been reading your posts for more than a year and following the evolution of your vegetable gardens and your experiences during your discussions with great curiosity and enthusiasm. It even became my evening soap "what do lazy gardeners say today?"

For a little over a year, I have a very small vegetable garden under hay, under brf, under leaves and under everything I actually find :)

With fall coming, it's a bit of a time to take stock.
20200911_201105.jpg
Zucchini feet at the end of the cycle

Here are my zucchini, they are covered with odium, the leaves are like atrophied by the heat and the drought, they still give some fruit but we feel that they are at the end of the cycle ... and frankly that suits me like that because I'm starting to get tired of the zucchini : Lol: I cooked it in all its forms: pan-fried, gratin, flan, salad and so on ...

Finally, I also made zucchini and chocolate cake, it's delicious, very soft and not greasy at all.
20200913_175239.jpg
Who guesses that there are 300g of zucchini in this cake?

In short, all this to say that I will especially do nothing to my zucchini ... than eat them : Mrgreen: !
1 x
it depends
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Small vegetable patch 69 on the way to laziness

by Moindreffor » 19/09/20, 19:55

I made a pumpkin pie on my own, it's good, but I'm not a fan, that will change shall we say : Mrgreen:
but still need a good kilo of pumpkin, so I will surely keep them for another use which is better for my taste, like a good soup : Wink:
1 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 20/09/20, 07:17

Last year my husband made desserts with butternuts, which we were given, it wasn't bad, but I'm not crazy about it, too many weird memories of a boss a few years ago, who made me make beetroot or cucumber desserts (it was not selling well, but Madame insisted on doing this kind of thing). In the kitchen I am rather a purist I think : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 20/09/20, 07:56

Well me zucchini and cucumber it was not a success. We'll do better next time.
Not even had enough cucumbers to make a pie :P
0 x
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by alkaline » 20/09/20, 13:40

Yes sometimes the excess of originality is not very happy ... I remember a pink shallot ice cream ... heck.

There, if you don't say it, we can't guess the zucchini, it makes a light chocolate cake. I'll give you the recipe to try.

Ingredients and proportions:
250g grated zucchini
150g dark chocolate
100g sugar (brown)
1 sachet sucre vanillé
25g beurre
4 eggs
125g farine
1/2 sachet baking powder (not mandatory)

- Melt the butter with the chocolate.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, sugar and vanilla sugar.
- Add the melted chocolate-butter mixture.
- Mix and add the flour.
- Add the grated courgettes.
- Mix well and pour the preparation into a buttered mold.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 180 ° C.
Last edited by alkaline the 20 / 09 / 20, 13: 45, 1 edited once.
1 x
it depends
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by alkaline » 20/09/20, 13:45

izentrop wrote:Not even had enough cucumbers to make a pie :P
Same at home, the 3 cucumbers each burned in turn ... I just tasted a ragoton of barely ripe fruit :( Next time I will put them in more shade.
0 x
it depends
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by alkaline » 23/09/20, 23:11

When it comes to critters, I mean insects and the like, it's also the end of a cycle and the start of a new one.
In the vegetable garden there were the first slugs in spring, aphids of all kinds: green, pink, black, gray and also on the roots of carrots. I have seen ladybugs arriving in very large numbers this year. Then the chafer and all the foraging insects on the phacelia made a magnificent roaring ballet. Caterpillars, they are super voracious it's awful. Flea beetles, leafminers and other things that I don't know. At the moment there are still colored bugs.

Among the "undesirable" flea beetles and caterpillars did the most damage. Bedbugs also qd same.
I tell myself that there is a time for each of them and it goes ... sometimes not without pain :P
0 x
it depends
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by alkaline » 23/09/20, 23:23

It is only for the ants that it is always the season ... sometimes I have the impression of having the garden on a huge anthill of 1500 square meters :| I know they are not harmful but it even looks weird.
They build tubes around the stems of the strawberries, the mounds of the salad plants ... I don't quite know what to think about it yet.
20200920_165322.jpg
Strawberry on anthill

20200920_165126.jpg
Salad plant in an anthill
On the one hand it aerates the earth on the other hand the rods surrounded by tubes end up failing. From time to time I shower all that with the hose to release the ants ... who get back to the task immediately.
0 x
it depends
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 24/09/20, 08:45

I had this problem for two or three weeks on chard, a lot of aphids on it and therefore a lot of ants. With the jet the problem is solved well, but you have to insist a little, do it regularly and with pressure.
I had flea beetles too, which caused me some damage and then disappeared. Next year I will put sensitive crops under a net. I haven't seen a single caterpillar this year in the vegetable garden, it's the first time, but I had a lot of wasps, I don't know where they nest, but it must not be far from the vegetable garden, I have them attracts with water points.
1 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 24/09/20, 09:41

Alkaline wrote:It is only for the ants that it is always the season ... sometimes I have the impression of having the garden on a huge anthill of 1500 square meters :| I know they are not harmful but it even looks weird.
They build tubes around the stems of the strawberries, the mounds of the salad plants ... I don't quite know what to think about it yet.
20200920_165322.jpg
20200920_165126.jpg On one side it airs the earth on the other side the rods surrounded by tubes end up failing. From time to time I shower all that with the hose to release the ants ... which get back to the task immediately.

Hello, Haven't you tried with coffee grounds? It would be a natural repellent ... For my part, I have never tested.
0 x