My kitchen garden of the least effort

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: My kitchen garden of the least effort

by Moindreffor » 12/09/20, 20:12

I managed my little package of spinach seeds in the spring and there I totally forgot that I could do it again in the fall; thank you Doris for reminding me I am going to get another packet and work as much as in the spring, open the bag toss the seeds and basta : Mrgreen:

the advantage of the PP is that I don't even waste time washing the vegetables, they are "clean" when picked and eaten as they are, the picked spinach goes straight to the pan when leaving the PP
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 12/09/20, 22:42

There are spring spinach and winter spinach ...

Naturally, spinach is sensitive to the photoperiod (length of the day - well rather of the night). They are short-day plants. Spring spinach has been bred to "resist" the rise to seeds a bit as the days get longer - although in my house that never works!

On the other hand, in autumn, normally no such mishap. We were therefore able to select the resistance to cold. The "Winter Giant" is an example.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 12/09/20, 22:45

Doris wrote:
And a while ago I looked, and then in the shade of tomatoes the first spinach grows, some salads, turnips and radishes, and that fills me with joy because this year my vegetable garden will not stop. I always found it super sad, at the end of the season life stops, there is nothing left, and there no.

A fine example of the "effects" of "human actions" whose goal is a "tidy, clean vegetable garden"! From the man who says "we've always done it like that ..." or "I've been told that ...". Prisoner, he locks himself in what he calls "common sense" to better convince himself that this bullshit is what is most reasonable ...
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 13/09/20, 00:29

To that, the "clean vegetable garden" is horrible, as a conviction, and indestructible I believe. I see it with friends: "how do you clean your vegetable garden, how often" ...... So I tell them, but what is there to clean, there is nothing. But even if there is nothing to do, it is stronger than them, I would have to do something. It's incredible anyway, you can never stay quiet or in your corner and enjoy the peace and the alive? It almost seems that there is a law, which prohibits this kind of pleasure. I am well in my new world.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Did67

by Did67 » 13/09/20, 08:20

There is no law, but formatting:

a) Judeo-Christian: what you describe (picking up without doing anything, daydreaming ...) is enjoying - and enjoying is not good! We're here to shit, only God can save you, later - you have to shit to believe in a god who promises you paradise (after - paradise is a promise for after, not a state for now , otherwise the religious construction does not work!)

b) moral: everything has a value, it is often the value of the effort that had to be made! "We have nothing without nothing !" (or we are a thief - conclusion: we are thieves, or at least bandits !!!)

c) and there is membership of a social group which requires adherence to its values; if you don't do like everyone else, you are suspect (because you threaten the established order!)
1 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 13/09/20, 12:40

Doris wrote:To that, the "clean vegetable garden" is horrible, as a conviction, and indestructible I believe. I see it with friends: "how do you clean your vegetable garden, how often" ...... So I tell them, but what is there to clean, there is nothing. But even if there is nothing to do, it is stronger than them, I would have to do something. It's incredible anyway, you can never stay quiet or in your corner and enjoy the peace and the alive? It almost seems that there is a law, which prohibits this kind of pleasure. I am well in my new world.

I distinguish cleaning and cleaning, my first videos watched were on permaculture and seeing these semi-jungle where 3 leeks grow between 2 salads a foot of pdt, and a sunflower all in a mishmash of weeds that got me all immediately displeased, because I saw no logic and no necessity

after discovering this thread, and the name tillage, I was seduced by the living canopy, I tested and it did not work, for lack of observation, I had skipped a step, my vegetable garden is not yet fertile enough, it still has to load up with OM and therefore I have to bring hay
my test with the straw gave me what I expected a cover that lasts longer, but which does not nourish my vegetable garden, no real nitrogen hunger, because I brought urine, but management much more difficult, too much urine is as bad as not enough, it's so easy with hay : Mrgreen:

so at home with the good layer of hay that I am currently putting in place, it is "clean", well the two areas of lamb's lettuce, radish, turnips and soon spinach will get "dirty" the weeds will grow with the vegetables, but I think I will act at this level, because if, as I want, let the lamb's lettuce go up to seeds, the grasses win the race, it is not that they are boring to control but they go up to seeds before the chews and I want to have spontaneous seedlings of lamb's lettuce and not of grasses, and the later we intervene, the less "controllable" it is

I say right away, that at home "clean" a plot is 2m2 a bit like a safe at Adrien's, so nothing terrible, I'll be in Doris' situation, in terms of surface area, my speech would be quite different ...

but above all I am not a fan of the jungle vegetable garden, maybe a little too formatted, my military training of my youth surely : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 13/09/20, 14:31

It is indeed necessary to agree on the words.

To me, "cleaning" means ACTION to make the place clean. It is, in the vegetable garden, to spade, to hoe, to pull up, to collect the remains of culture, to compost or burn them ...

And it's different from "controlling" weeds at certain times, or on the contrary from letting a blanket cover set in at others. I am not defending "doing nothing". I defend a vegetable garden where the gardener is a "conductor" who makes it a symphony and not a cacophony. I therefore direct the living. But I don't call it cleaning up. So there are phases where it's clean if you want, because I put hay. And phases where it is not, because I let weeds settle to help build the soil, nourish the life of the soil, retain nitrates ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 13/09/20, 14:34

Moindreffor wrote:
I had skipped a step, my vegetable garden is not yet fertile enough, it must still be loaded with OM and therefore I must bring hay
my test with the straw gave me what I expected a cover that lasts longer, but which does not nourish my vegetable garden, no real nitrogen hunger, because I brought urine, but management much more difficult, too much urine is as bad as not enough, it's so easy with hay : Mrgreen:

Yes, the state of fertility is a very important element: as long as your soil is poor, you have to bring in nutrients from outside. It can be hay, which plays many other roles ... or compost ... or manure ...

Once it is sufficiently rich, you can "go around in circles with the stock", and "cover" with biomass produced on the spot, without the need for transfers ...

This nuance is essential.
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 13/09/20, 18:19

Moindreffor wrote:I distinguish cleaning and cleaning, my first videos watched were on permaculture and seeing these semi-jungle where 3 leeks grow between 2 salads a foot of pdt, and a sunflower all in a mishmash of weeds that got me all immediately displeased, because I saw no logic and no necessity

But I completely agree on that, moreover if I remember your previous posts on this subject correctly, it is a bit the same kind of path that led me to the vegetable garden of the sloth. Obviously when I saw certain people on YouTube in an endless jungle installing mounds by moving I do not know how many m3 and placing antennas in the middle of all that to capture I do not know what energy, frankly it could not do it. But the traditional view of a "clean vegetable patch" is something other than what we practice, and it's what my friends bugger about. Currently in my vegetable garden there is nothing to clean, the few poor plantin leaves are just as waiting for a little more freshness than my cabbages! At the same time, my friends see that my way of doing things works at least as well as theirs, minus the chores. And that for them is not possible. In their heads I have to do something, I have to maintain. Putting OM doesn't count. And all that as said Didier because of formatting.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by alkaline » 13/09/20, 19:06

The lines change, I come back from the rose garden of the Parc de la Tête d'or in Lyon. The beds are mulched and some weeds are left.
While talking with the gardeners, they are happy to tell me about the virtues of mulching they have been practicing there for 4 weeks. They also explain to me that it is not because a plant grows on its own that it is ugly so they let weeds and flower beds grow which spontaneously reseed themselves. : Wink:
20200911_132701.jpg
Mulched and spontaneous rose bed with yellow flowers
0 x
it depends