My kitchen garden of the least effort

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: My kitchen garden of the least effort

by sicetaitsimple » 12/08/20, 19:10

Moindreffor wrote: he flowered the seeds are forming, but still not good to harvest, him being a real regional, when the seeds will fall naturally, wouldn't that mean that it is only time to sow the leek? or do we sow a little earlier to have bigger plants? the plant, it does not care to have a big barrel right?

Uh, you are not going to turn "hunter-gatherer" to the vegetable garden, I hope ????? : Lol:
You can try ..... But don't count on a lot of leeks in 2021. Well, that's just my opinion! : Lol:
0 x
ENERC
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by ENERC » 12/08/20, 19:29

on the other hand my leek plant left to make seed, is still there, it has flowered the seeds are forming, but still not good to harvest, him being a true regional, when the seeds will fall naturally, would not he like not say that it is only time to sow the leek? or do we sow a little earlier to have bigger plants? the plant, it does not care to have a big barrel right?

I cut the heads of 4 or 5 leeks before the seeds fall off (I watch, it will happen soon).
I place them in a crate in the garage all winter and sow in April. This year I have had hundreds of leeks - way more than my transplanting needs. I did well to keep them to replace those who suffered from this heat wave.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 13/08/20, 08:56

Thank you for your answers
yes Didier I saw the number of seeds compared to the need to perpetuate the species,
no If it was simple, I am not going to turn hunter / gatherer it was no longer the sowing date that interested me, : Mrgreen: but we sow well after winter to guarantee better emergence
and yes, this is what I plan to do, but just sow, what I need and keep seeds for the following year, because I want to make seeds of several varieties so do not make them flower every several varieties and have to be careful, so one variety per year keeping the seeds for several years, if my personal production remains viable for several years, say 1 or 2 or even 3
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 13/08/20, 11:08

Moindreffor wrote:
but we sow well after winter to guarantee better emergence

And summer seedlings for so-called winter leeks (Bleu de Solaise type), as a backdrop ... which are consumable until they rise to seeds somewhere around April ...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 13/08/20, 18:33

Did67 wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:
but we sow well after winter to guarantee better emergence

And summer seedlings for so-called winter leeks (Bleu de Solaise type), as a backdrop ... which are consumable until they rise to seeds somewhere around April ...

I always sowed my Solaise blues apparently too late or too early, in any case I will only transplant them after the end of the heatwave, so I'm going to test an autumn or spring variety, Solaise being a variety of 'winter that I must not sow at the right season : Mrgreen:
0 x
(of me)
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 13/08/20, 19:19

Moindreffor wrote: in any case I will only transplant them after the end of the heat wave, so I will test an autumn or spring variety, Solaise being a winter variety that I should not sow in the right season : Mrgreen:

In my opinion in your corner aim for transplanting (at the "knitting needle" stage) around the beginning of July for winter leeks, that must be good. And don't forget to water them during the summer if necessary! : Lol:
There it may be a little late, but hey ..... You have to go, you'll see!

PS: garden notebook, garden notebook! This is the only way to avoid repeating "basic" mistakes year after year. But of course that does not prevent the weather from changing from one year to the next, do not dream!
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 13/08/20, 20:25

sicetaitsimple wrote:
Moindreffor wrote: in any case I will only transplant them after the end of the heat wave, so I will test an autumn or spring variety, Solaise being a winter variety that I should not sow in the right season : Mrgreen:

In my opinion in your corner aim for transplanting (at the "knitting needle" stage) around the beginning of July for winter leeks, that must be good. And don't forget to water them during the summer if necessary! : Lol: this is what I did last year, for a hundred leeks, maybe thirty a little too thin, but in the end I had about fifty very beautiful leeks, the thinnest have either died out, either developed moderately, or did not develop at all, in the end not unhappy
There it may be, be a little late, but hey ..... You have to go, you'll see! this year, I sowed later, and because of the drought, I did not transplant in the vegetable garden but in a box, only 80 plants, my sowing was not so good in number, and therefore I must have 60 to 80 very well developed plants, in a box the watering is much easier to manage, so transplanted later but transplanted much larger : Mrgreen:

PS: garden notebook, garden notebook! I have the notebook, I grab a gray pencil and an eraser and take it down to the shed This is the only way to avoid repeating "basic" mistakes year after year. But of course that does not prevent the weather from changing from one year to the next, do not dream!

the Pb of this year was the bad conjuncture of the planets, a constellations of shits in one decan and then the confinement and the drought, so there you are, I find that I am not doing so badly, in any case some stuff failures last year that worked, even if everything did not go to the end of the end, I learned a lot ...
the positive of this summer is that I'm done with the job, so a real liberation of the mind, that the son is done with college, remains Madame for whom it's complicated ...
0 x
(of me)
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 14/08/20, 08:29

Moindreffor wrote:then the confinement and the drought, so there you go, I find that I am not doing so badly, in any case the failed things last year that worked, even if everything did not go to the end of the end, I learned a lot ...

What could have become an obstacle, the confinement in full period of organization of the vegetable garden, made me understand a lot of things too, especially thanks to the crossing of my observations with the experiences of each other. A few small hiccups, a lot of things that work; the vegetable garden, which feeds us every day, and we start to make our reserves for the winter; finally, my husband who is happy again in the vegetable garden, freed from eternal chores; and, last but not least, a nod to sicetaitsimple, I inaugurated my garden notebook (it remains to discipline myself to mark everything, well, let's say I'm there, at 80℅ :D )
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Did67

by Did67 » 14/08/20, 08:55

To which I would not add that there will always be, in a "natural" vegetable garden, things that go wrong. Nature is not at the gardener's orders. Just as we see such and such an attack by such a caterpillar in a forest, such a year, there will be failures in the natural vegetable patch - which we did not see coming.

Agriculture is a high risk business - we have forgotten that.

Finally, the essential is in one sentence: "the vegetable garden, which feeds us every day, and we start to make our reserves for the winter; well, my husband who is happy again in the vegetable garden, freed from the eternal chores ..." The second part being, in relation to my philosophy, essential.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 14/08/20, 11:55

Did67 wrote:To which I would not add that there will always be, in a "natural" vegetable garden, things that go wrong. Nature is not at the gardener's orders. Just as we see such and such an attack by such a caterpillar in a forest, such a year, there will be failures in the natural vegetable patch - which we did not see coming.

Agriculture is a high risk business - we have forgotten that.

Finally, the essential is in one sentence: "the vegetable garden, which feeds us every day, and we start to make our reserves for the winter; well, my husband who is happy again in the vegetable garden, freed from the eternal chores ..." The second part being, in relation to my philosophy, essential.

that is quite true ...
my observations of this year, taught me that it is especially necessary to think about "our" PP and not, to make a PP, when one is too head in the handlebars, one sees nothing, it is necessary to be able to rest, to pause, free your mind, open your eyes and observe, and there you can see ... Didier, in vain, but it's a little mystical, it seems like a revelation : Mrgreen: and so we can start to think, to do what needs to be done, because laziness is cultivated whatever we may say about it here and the PP is generous only on condition of feeding it well
0 x
(of me)