Hay vs live kitchen garden

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Hay vegetable garden vs living canopy

by Paul72 » 20/05/20, 14:49

It depends on the varieties, I have Gento in ascending, very fragrant (candy), but strongly invasive with big feet. But random production, this year is a good year. They produce as long as the soil stays cool.
0 x
I'm allergic to idiots: sometimes I even get a cough.
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 20/05/20, 14:51

Didier, I did not manage to catch the wireworm larva, but it is a new corner to win on the meadow, so the worm must be in the fruit ... Does it eat the stems of potatoes too?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/05/20, 16:25

This "becomes embedded" in the potatoes (tubers)! Black galleries that are sometimes found in pdt. And from there it sometimes rots.

To my knowledge, no damage to the roots (where the pdt makes roots so easily that it goes unnoticed, I think rather)
0 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 21/05/20, 09:25

Okay, so the gnawed potato stalk at the base I'm going to put that on the account of a small rodent, maybe.
Salads on the other hand, a 4mm hole in the root is not a rodent ...

Today, I finish spreading my dry hay of the year. It is not luxury seen as the ground dries up with the shortage of rain since March. I can even make the equivalent of a big bale of hay again but it will be for the chicken coop (the litter enriched with guano of pouled will go to cover the soil of the greenhouse which needs more than the rest)
0 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 25/05/20, 16:06

Well, I am usually patient and a philosopher in the garden, but here I admit that I am losing my patience: the melons which are an easy culture here do not stop being plowed (literally) by voles or rats I don't know but it's the wound. The peppers next door have nothing. It's been 3 weeks that it lasts. An idea to protect the seedlings (because after that it will start to be too late to sow)? : Evil:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 25/05/20, 17:09

If, like in my greenhouse or my frames, they are field mice:

- they are "crazy" about seeds (cucurbits and legumes); they don't care about "green"
- see the end of the video "Oh help, I don't have a green thumb anymore!" :
(impressive images of field mice at work in infrared camera)
- so it's simple, well it was simple at home: 3 fags at 1 € each, arranged "where it happens"; soften the seeds of legumes one or two days before (broad beans, beans) so that they are soft enough to be able to drive them into the "nail" used to fix the baits ...
- armed "millimeter" in the evening
- go see in the morning - if the trap is disarmed but empty, watch the video !!!

I had big damage (2 rows of ravaged peas, two seedlings in the greenhouse; two seedlings in the frame): there were only 2 individuals in the greenhouse and 1 in each frame. Two or three nights of trapping and the case was finally resolved!
1 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 25/05/20, 23:57

I'm not sure, they did this under already developed plants. and the seeds that I had sown afterwards germinated ... but with a new vacuum below it fades, inevitably. the earth is loose like soil, no matter how tightly packed to death it is useless, I just want it to go around : Mrgreen:
Okay, tomorrow night I'm sticking two swabs, to see. towards the exit of the galleries it will be smarter :P
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 26/05/20, 08:54

Ah yes, the "symptoms" are not quite the same. Me, there were also galleries, which emerged next to it (I think the field mice used old mole-rat galleries) ...

To be continued !
0 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 26/05/20, 14:49

As you say to follow. I had had field mice from my greenhouse, which I suspect I ate some beans. With a simple swatter and a county crust. I'm going to do the same, the exits are under a tree next to it, outside the hay (it's freshly turned over so they have to go out there)

On a completely different subject, I made a large order at kokopelli yesterday, a bunch of stuff most of which cannot be found in stores. History of having beautiful, good, original in the garden this summer and autumn and testing plants: sorghum, millet, sunflower, perillas, Claytone, Japanese radish, amaranth, lettuces, Indian and Japanese mustards, Mexican tea, soybeans etc. ..
That's good, there are a lot of gaps to fill now that everything is covered very thick, it's fresh below!
0 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 27/05/20, 14:12

This morning, the traps were not touched. I put a little bit of cheese, it may not be what attracts them. I'm going to put a bean grain as you say
Edict: I have lots of pumpkin seeds, it can do that too.
But the cats may have done the job, another possibility ... Those are good hunters, but when they want. I have already seen them watch a mouse pass without reacting. And at another time swallow them in one go!
0 x