Hay vs live kitchen garden

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: Hay vegetable garden vs living canopy

by Did67 » 31/08/20, 15:10

No, no, it happens in related species.

Clementine is an interspecific hybrid between a tangerine and I can't remember which citrus ...

Cassis is a (somewhat human-induced) hybrid between blackcurrant and redcurrant.

Triticales are hybrids between wheat and rye.

The donkey or the mule are hybrids between horses and donkeys ...

This is one of the risks of "careless" seed production. Your seeds must have come from a melon or cucumber fertilized by the other species. Note that this could be a superbly excellent melon: the fruit that is harvested from the genetics of its mother; the seeds it contains are 50% father / 50% mother!

If you want to do science, collect some ripe seeds and see if they are fertile (if they germinate). You can even cultivate (losing space!), To see what happens!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 31/08/20, 15:14

Paul72 wrote:
Otherwise, still persistent agricultural drought, but with mulching it holds up, the green bean plants are even huge and rather productive (purple). Still not possible to make lamb's lettuce or spinach ...

At home, severe drop in temperatures, gray weather and ... 9 mm of rain which revived the vegetable garden !!!
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 31/08/20, 17:00

Did67 wrote:
Paul72 wrote:
Otherwise, still persistent agricultural drought, but with mulching it holds up, the green bean plants are even huge and rather productive (purple). Still not possible to make lamb's lettuce or spinach ...

At home, severe drop in temperatures, gray weather and ... 9 mm of rain which revived the vegetable garden !!!

the rains at home make the ripe tomatoes burst and the cabbages take off again, well let's say what remains of the cabbages which have suffered a lot from this dry summer, next year we will have to plant this at least a month a month and a half before

cabbage is the vegetable that is really symptomatic of summer suffering, and the lack of water, even watered abundantly the cabbages do not really restart until after the first real rains in August
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 31/08/20, 17:14

at the moment, madness of mirabelles. Extraordinary, unheard of ... for weeks, we have been picking, we are collecting and yet we have the impression that there is always so much left on the tree.
and ditto the plums, apples (even if it falls a lot - drought no doubt) or walnuts soon.
0 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 31/08/20, 17:19

Did67 wrote:No, no, it happens in related species.

Clementine is an interspecific hybrid between a tangerine and I can't remember which citrus ...

Cassis is a (somewhat human-induced) hybrid between blackcurrant and redcurrant.

Triticales are hybrids between wheat and rye.

The donkey or the mule are hybrids between horses and donkeys ...

This is one of the risks of "careless" seed production. Your seeds must have come from a melon or cucumber fertilized by the other species. Note that this could be a superbly excellent melon: the fruit that is harvested from the genetics of its mother; the seeds it contains are 50% father / 50% mother!

If you want to do science, collect some ripe seeds and see if they are fertile (if they germinate). You can even cultivate (losing space!), To see what happens!

It must be quite exceptional because it is all the same the first time that I observe this. I will try to sow some seeds to see if they are fertile. The taste is quite weird ...
0 x
I'm allergic to idiots: sometimes I even get a cough.
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 05/09/20, 21:19

IMG_20200905_195655_compress16.jpg
IMG_20200905_195701_compress47.jpg

There you go, I will still be suspected of doping ... However, as the only fertilizer there was the layer of hay which remained barely 4 months (put aside for practical questions explained on Didier's thread). And a little water from the well. The 18-day-old radishes were a bit disappointing (sown too dense and we left when they were edible) but the Easter roses are also early in the end but the harvest lasts longer, they do not become spicy as they grow in size. on the contrary, the cooler the nights, the better.
Indian mustards are delicious mixed with salad and arugula. The dwarf kale and red ursa cabbages will soon be good to eat.
In short, good surprise, I did not expect such a profusion here !!
Knowing that the ground is bad, stony and shallow. But in all nutrients it seems to hold up. : Mrgreen:
The garden is giving well despite the drought (the fields are quite dry, no more grass for the cows), still all the summer vegetables and already a good part of the autumn ones.
0 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 06/09/20, 17:17

flash info (lol): I suspected I had a protected species of grass in my field, after checking it seems to be the case: Agrostis curtisii.
The thing is that it is not listed in the area (the closest listed site -on the MNHN site- is more than 50km away). very pretty grass with pink flowering, silky. Normally it is more on stony or rocky moors. There they grow on a rocky base that is almost flush and acidic. So I don't know how she got there (probably in a strong wind) but she found her biotope! : Mrgreen:
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 06/09/20, 17:49

The cow, I have something protected at home and I did not even know, thanks for the info, will have to mow around (not difficult, there is little more than that, more heather, more moss at home : Cheesy: ). Indeed it is very pretty.
1 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 07/09/20, 13:39

Doris wrote:The cow, I have something protected at home and I did not even know, thanks for the info, will have to mow around (not difficult, there is little more than that, more heather, more moss at home : Cheesy: ). Indeed it is very pretty.

It is a plant widespread in the Landes and Brittany, but a priori yes, protected at national level. An impressive hairy root.
0 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 25/09/20, 16:28

Okay, this time the summer vegetables are coming to an end soon : Mrgreen:
Result of the year: intense and long production of tomatoes (I have trouble selling everything, especially the cherries), started in June. Peppers and peppers: absolute production records. Eggplants: not bad at all (not finished)
Melons: average by failure from the start but the honor is safe.
Watermelons: Happy New Year, 3 more to harvest, excellent
Zucchini: I can't take it anymore lol
Cucumbers: think about planting twice, those planted in July still give!
Best improvement of the year: forcing veil, cabbage radishes and salads are very beautiful. By the way, the very dense planting (no line spacing for walking), although counterintuitive, improved production (perhaps helping to keep the soil cooler under vegetation) in the context of drought.
2 x