Battery recycling test

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
clasou
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by clasou » 22/05/08, 17:20

It is true, but she does not want to drop the case.

Since I had removed the acid, and I put water around 50 degree with edta, and I have it for 1 hour around 7.6v
I suspect it will not hold and I will see tomorrow.

Mystery when you hold us.
a + claude
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 23/05/08, 10:34

Hello,
did you respect:
"
Edta is a chemical name for ethylene diamine tetra acetic acid, or tetrasodium salt.
it is a product of the food industry for example, against the accumulated sulphate of metal cans in the colacoca style.

This involves cleaning the bottom of the battery cells, by emptying the acid beforehand.

Procedure: watch out for corrosive acid: gloves and glasses!

0) Open the battery (the studs that you unscrew when you want to recharge it, because it gives off highly flammable hydrogen).

1) Pour the acid into a resistant container (metal) which we will call container "A" by filtering it as it passes (always metal filter, Chinese colander style).

2) rinse the cells well with demineralized water (rainwater), stir to clean the "sludge", drain again in another container "B".

3) once clean, fill with hot water (50 ° C) and put a teaspoon of EDTA in each cell.

4) boil 2 hours

5) repeat 2,3, 4. we then see the desulfation, repeat until disappearance of the sulphate.

6) rinse each cell with distilled water.

7) refill the cells with new electrolyte:
32 ° sulfuric acid balsam in distilled (or demineralized = rainwater) water, specific gravity: 1.260, is measured with an acidic scale (not expensive on the market). Otherwise we put back the old acid which we have finely filtered and we restore with water.

here, with the desulfator in +, here is what to make your battery parks for the solar instalaltion!

> available here:
http://www.webspawner.com/users/edta/
"

http://www.nrjrealiste.fr/elec/regenacu.html
0 x
clasou
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by clasou » 23/05/08, 10:49

Hello to you
What was marked on your site is that I followed as I told you from the start.

The difference is that when it no longer reacted I went back to acid or with charger only had 5.88 at best.
And that since yesterday I put back the edta, that it's been 17 hours that it is there is that I am stabilized at 6.5v of tension.: Shock:

And there I am taking a (chemical) explanation.
Besides, I don't even dare remove it anymore :).
a + claude:
0 x
clasou
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by clasou » 23/05/08, 12:12

Hello,
I admit I do not like to drop the case too much when I do not understand.
For Jonule:
Can you tell me if you have actually tested and if so, give me info.
Battery age, total weight of edta used in approximately how many times.
If you have info about the battery, actually make it up to you.
thank you in advance .
a + claude
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 23/05/08, 14:18

the possibilities of battery regeneration must be put into perspective. If they have turned 10 years it is likely that they are worn down to the rope.
Desulfators and EDTA are only valid for batteries which have failed following deep and prolonged discharges, ie batteries still in good condition, but which have developed an insulating layer of sulphate. Then on the batteries at 3 francs 6 under the plates are so thin that a good sulfation is fatal too.
If your plates leave in small pieces, no need to break your head, she is dead and back.
0 x
clasou
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by clasou » 23/05/08, 14:57

Thank you for the answer.
For quality, it's a motorcraft, sold with the Ford car.
It's a bit for heads in the air who forget to turn off their lighthouse.
pity
a + claude
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 24/05/08, 00:04

clasou wrote:So I removed the acid is as I have product left I start again, but hey I'm barely 300gr on 1 kilo.

To be honest the product seems to work, we can see the extraction of the sulfate, but when I shake the battery there are more and more small pieces falling.

Sulfate allowed him to block.

how does it block ??

already weird that you put so much product, it says 1 teaspoon per cell? that makes 300g 6 spoons? don't i realize?

then if you see bits of battery falling it is actually not a good sign, normally everything has been cleaned beforehand with water, before putting the new acid ?!

>>>>>
Well, if not it must be clarified, clasou, that you bought medicinal EDTA on ebay and not EDTA on the address communicated on my site, trailhead from memory: we said we will see, it is c really isn't the same?
even if the product is the same, maybe not the same concentration?

in any case if you saw the desulphation this is the main thing: after yes as you say if the battery is really dead dead it cannot be restored to life by magic if the damage has already been done, I think.

I trust those who have experienced the thing, I passed it to a guy who uses the batteries for barriers for horses, he told me that it loads better with the product, which he just put in the cells, I mean without having cleaned beforehand with demineralized water (or rain) etc ... voila!

you should try again on another battery I know it's easy to say ... well if you want to have the last word yes, empty the acid, and cut the battery to see with your eyes if there is any false contact Or other ?!

normally if a battery has less than 11V is starting to die ...
0 x
clasou
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by clasou » 24/05/08, 06:04

Hello to you,
And thank you for responding.
Good in terms of product quality, it is pure at 99.8 against 99.9 so no difference except that I bought it in 1 kilo.

When I said block, it is the fact that the sulphation by depositing on the plates of the cells could finish by force of accumulating can be make a whole and prevent pieces from being released, and that as and as the sulfate goes, it crumbles.

Regarding the 300g, unless I am mistaken we consider it seems to me that a teaspoon of sugar weighs about 5g so 6 cell 30 gr and given the number of times I have repeated the operation and that I can being a little heavy hand I arrive at 300 gr in all.
And said on the site repeated as necessary.

So I'm going to try to cut it out neatly, and I think that one of my little sons with his laptop will transfer the photos to my computer.

a + claude
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 24/05/08, 08:56

The sulfate does not settle on the plate. it is a thin thickness of the lead plate which transforms into lead sulphate crystals. suddenly the lead thickness is reduced. If the entire thickness is in crystals, the regeneration will destroy the plates.
0 x
clasou
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by clasou » 24/05/08, 11:08

Okay, so it's a part that is deteriorating and not a new element in reaction that is created.

So the idea of ​​some microcontroller, which will cut the charge above I think of 12.3v could be good, since it will be the point or accelerated sulfation.

Good problem if you fall below the critical level around 11v.
if it cuts the battery: problematic.

Good time, I will postpone my surgery until later.
a + claude
0 x

Back to "waste, recycling and reuse of old objects"