Ecological balance sheet of paper recycling

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/04/09, 13:50

A myth? Do you doubt my word? Are you calling me a liar? No but !!

I'm making a video of one of these 4 when I need to light the stove ...

All the WHITE envelopes make a green flame, just like the brochures on semi glossy paper like Aldi Lidl Cora ... etc etc

This can be confirmed by all log stove users who burn their papers ...

Crazy ca ... you'd better close your books a bit and come (in?) In real life because the myths are you who put them there ... : Shock:

But what is your job? : Shock:
Last edited by Christophe the 27 / 04 / 09, 01: 05, 1 edited once.
0 x
bebeours
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by bebeours » 22/04/09, 14:15

What is the result of recycling if it is done in Asia and not here.
To recycle paper, there is cellulose wadding or within our reach, blocks of paper binder.
You can make the paper binder with very little energy in your garden.
And in addition, it is a cheap insulator
0 x
stone-ernest
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by stone-ernest » 22/04/09, 15:44

Christophe wrote:A myth? Do you doubt my word? Are you calling me a liar? No but who do you think you are?

I'm making a video of one of these 4 when I need to light the stove ...

All the WHITE envellopes make a green flame, just like the leaflets on semi glossy paper like Aldi Lidl Cora ... etc etc

This can be confirmed by all log stove users who burn their papers ...

Crazy ca ... you'd better close your books a bit and come (in?) In real life because the myths are you who put them there ... : Shock:

But what is your job? : Shock:

A little calm.
I didn't call you a liar, but just a gullible, because you probably read this somewhere and you believe it.

Before I give you my first answer, as I like to check everything I say, I took a sheet of white paper and burned it: well, the flame was not green at all.

Now, you're only talking about a white envelope, or semi-gloss paper, (which you hadn't mentioned about chlorine): then, I also checked with a white envelope: still no green flame .

For glossy paper, it is possible to obtain a flame bordered with green: this is due to the fact that in the couche light coated paper (LWC) used for printing advertising flyers, we can introduce chlorinated copolymers to improve wet strength. It has nothing to do with the white appearance. That's all.

In any case, the green flame is not a clue to say that the paper has been bleached with chlorine. It is a myth.

And to say that "all the white envelopes make a green flame" is, to say the least, an exaggeration ...

Incidentally, I am a retired chemical engineer Mister irascible expert ...
0 x
I exist, so I pollute. But I clean
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/04/09, 18:46

Ok well wait for the video ... I will make it faster than expected ... I just hope that we will see the green on the video. Not easy to film a flame!

For the envelopes it is perhaps also the glue which intervenes? But if it is not perhaps 100% it is a large majority (> 7/10) of the white envelopes which make a green flame ...

You will see the video!

Ah these ingen ... : Mrgreen:

ps: I said that the green flame was significant of chlorine compounds in the paper and these compounds can come from glue, ink ... not necessarily paper itself!
Last edited by Christophe the 27 / 04 / 09, 01: 10, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/04/09, 01:08

Well I did some tests this AM (not yet filmed): actually I got angry a little too quickly, on all the white envelopes that I burned, none made a green flame ... on the other hand: all the advertising leaflets do (ink probably?) and the worst are the "glossy" papers!

"Colored" boxes (agrifood for example) also systematically and more or less create green flames (but less than ice cream) ...

The video will be made during the week!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/07/09, 12:57

pierre-ernest wrote:I think the green flame of chlorine bleached paper is another myth ...

And what about this: https://www.econologie.com/forums/combustion ... t7925.html
We can see the green flames on the video:
https://www.econologie.com/pollution-au- ... -4102.html

Now it does not mean that it comes from the "paper medium" but can be inks ...

The results for the environment are the same ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/07/09, 13:03

Christophe wrote:Ok well wait for the video ... I will make it faster than expected ... I just hope that we will see the green on the video. Not easy to film a flame!

Well finally I took a long time to make this video but we can see much better than I thought: https://www.econologie.com/pollution-au- ... -4102.html
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 02/10/12, 19:57

Eco-Folio: priority is given to recycling paper

02 Oct 2012 enerzine

EcoFolio, the paper eco-organization in France, welcomed the decision of the Ministry of Ecology, Sustainable Development and Energy to make paper recycling a priority of waste policy in France.

After more than 15 months of negotiations with all of the stakeholders, the Ministry has announced a target for the French paper collection and recycling industry. The aim is to reduce landfilling and incineration, but also to supply raw materials to manufacturers of recycled paper and cardboard. These new provisions respond to a desire to increase from 47% recycling today to 60% by 2018.

Less than one paper in two is recycled in France and waste paper, which is recycled 5 times, is a resource for tomorrow and an ecological and economic secondary raw material.

The financial support provided by EcoFolio to the public waste management service provided by local authorities has increased significantly in favor of recycling.

From 2013, Éco-Folio will therefore pay communities an additional 15 euros per tonne of recycled paper waste, going from 65 euros to 80 euros per tonne. This incentive to recycle should lead to the recovery of a larger part of the used paper deposit. At the same time, aid for energy recovery (equipment with low energy efficiency) will be gradually reduced.

Emphasis will also be placed on streamlining the sector so that waste paper becomes a competitive ecological resource alternative to wood. In return, specific financial assistance of 10 million euros will be devoted to supporting the change in local authorities that must progress towards more recycling and strengthening communication actions with the general public and users. The aim will also be to rationalize sorting and collection schemes in partnership with the communities.

EcoFolio underlines that this is a strong sign of the marketers for the sector while the deposit of paper consumed in France is in sharp decline (-20% since 2006).

The system, decided for a period of 4 years, will be evaluated and renewed with reinforced objectives.

http://www.enerzine.com/604/14482+eco-f ... iers+.html
0 x
rod35
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by rod35 » 04/12/12, 18:32

Hello,

Interesting topic, but it seems that there are not a lot of exchanges.

For the green flame, in the end what is the conclusion, so there is pollution when you burn the advertising leaflets? (NB: The video above no longer works)

For the last intervention, we are not completely in the rest of the "post" but it is also interesting. By cons question: It is very nice to do a good recycling management, but nowhere on ecofolio it is a question of knowing where these recycled papers go! (-> China?). We should introduce the notion of energy associated with transport in this precise debate of recycling ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 04/12/12, 19:09

the color of the flames doesn't matter: to burn without polluting you need a high temperature

advertising paper alone burns badly because it contains too much mineral matter (to make it cheaper than cellulose)

so do not burn paper alone: ​​I made myself a burner with a platelet which allows to mix paper, cardboard or plastic ... because the main volume of fuel is wood, the temperature is sufficient high to properly decompose what would burn badly if burned alone

if recycling paper is ecological, it must also be economical! paper mills must buy old paper at a positive price, giving some money to those who collect it

unfortunately currently the recycling of paper is done by gobbling up public money ... which makes me believe that it is not profitable ... therefore maybe not ecological either

so I don't spend fuel to transport cardboard or other waste for nothing ... I store it all summer when I am not heating ... and I burn it with the wafers in winter

I find that the recycling of paper regresses ... a few ten years ago the waste of good quality white paper had a positive value: it was worth it to transport it to a recuperator ... alas since the fashion of compulsory recovery the best waste paper no longer has an interesting value

we spend public money to collect worthless shit in the yellow bags ... and we don't want to pay a reasonable price to justify sorting at source the best waste of paper
0 x

Back to "waste, recycling and reuse of old objects"