Triac for water heater in isolated site

Solar thermal energy in all its forms: solar heating, hot water, choosing a solar collector, solar concentration, ovens and solar cookers, solar energy storage by heat buffer, solar pool, air conditioning and solar cold ..
Aid, counseling, fixtures and examples of achievements ...
Herve 09
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: Triac for water heater in isolated site

by Herve 09 » 23/06/22, 10:11

Thank you all for your answers, finally by reading all this I think to take a resistance of 1000w, delay it on the programmable internal relay of my transformer in order to make it work in equivalent of 700w.
This will allow me, at a lower cost, to recover a little energy lost when my batteries are full of hot water.
Later I will install a 300w turbine as a backup, which will allow me to preserve my batteries a little more.
I am at an altitude of 1100m in an isolated site in Ariège for information, so no accessible network, suddenly I am looking for the maximum of technical solutions to be energetically resilient.
Thank you again, see you soon
2 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 23/06/22, 11:18

Herve 09 wrote:energy lost when my batteries are full of hot water.
Hello,
There are load shedding circuits for that.
Christophe wrote:I use a purely electromagnetic rheostat! An old fashioned thing
Isn't it more like an adjustable autotransformer? https://www.reichelt.com/fr/fr/transfor ... 55918.html
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/06/22, 12:55

izentrop wrote:
Herve 09 wrote:energy lost when my batteries are full of hot water.
Hello,
There are load shedding circuits for that.
Christophe wrote:I use a purely electromagnetic rheostat! An old fashioned thing
Isn't it more like an adjustable autotransformer? https://www.reichelt.com/fr/fr/transfor ... 55918.html

Yes that's it ! But rohhh the quibblers!!

It's just a naming story, an adjustable autotransformer can also be called a rheostat:

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rh%C3%A9ostat

rehostat.jpg
rehostat.jpg (357.79 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/06/22, 12:56

Herve 09 wrote:Thank you all for your answers, finally by reading all this I think to take a resistance of 1000w, delay it on the programmable internal relay of my transformer in order to make it work in equivalent of 700w.
This will allow me, at a lower cost, to recover a little energy lost when my batteries are full of hot water.
Later I will install a 300w turbine as a backup, which will allow me to preserve my batteries a little more.
I am at an altitude of 1100m in an isolated site in Ariège for information, so no accessible network, suddenly I am looking for the maximum of technical solutions to be energetically resilient.
Thank you again, see you soon

I gaggednnnaaaais! : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/06/22, 12:57

phil59 wrote:You seem lucid tonight! : Lol: : Arrow:

: Mrgreen:

Admit you like it!
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 23/06/22, 13:21

Christophe wrote:It's just a naming story, an adjustable autotransformer can also be called a rheostat:

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rh%C3%A9ostat

I do not completely agree with this point of view.

they are not the same physical principles. The rheostat operates as a voltage divider bridge via resistors, while the autotransformer is based on electromagnetic induction.

however if we go back to the Greek roots (rheostat = control and stabilization of the current), the 2 can fit into the definition.

So I also understand better that your pump works well with an autotransformer, because the voltage/current ripple remains quite clean.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/06/22, 13:35

So you have to modify the wiki page...in the 2 cases they are voltage divider bridges...That's what counts!

It is not because the rheostats are essentially electronic versions today that the name is no longer valid for the old ones...

In short, we're not going to make a mountain out of it, are we?

Yes it works well with a rheostat autotransformer! Are you happy girls? : Mrgreen:
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 24/06/22, 00:28

Christophe wrote:This pump "restricted" in voltage runs well and it has been running well for 10 years and I have saved thousands of kWh (240 kWh per year roughly) with this assembly with a rheostat at 50€ vs a speed regulation at 1000€ : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: ...
Certainly not. As Remundo wrote, the rheostat is a resistor, so power losses by joule effect, whereas the autotransformer lowers the voltage with very little loss.
As the wiki says
One avoids using the rheostats in a permanent way, to regulate the current in a device requiring a great power, because they involve a lot of losses of energy in thermal form due to the Joule effect.

Today, switching converters, such as choppers or dimmers, are preferred.
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rh%C3%A9ostat Adjusted autotransformers are no longer used either, because it is heavy in terms of raw material (copper and magnetic circuit), and therefore expensive.
0 x

Back to "Solar thermal: solar collectors CESI, heating, hot water, stoves and solar cookers"