Distilling water with solar

Solar thermal energy in all its forms: solar heating, hot water, choosing a solar collector, solar concentration, ovens and solar cookers, solar energy storage by heat buffer, solar pool, air conditioning and solar cold ..
Aid, counseling, fixtures and examples of achievements ...
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Distilling water with solar

by Forhorse » 29/05/19, 20:22

Hello everybody

Just to share an idea I had today to ask for advice and possibly ideas if it turns out to be feasible.
For the context: I work on the maintenance of machines, some of which needs some steam for disinfection purposes. A small boiler about 50cl provides this steam which is consumed as a jet of a few seconds all 10 to 15mn.
The problem is that some of these machines are installed in areas where water is hard to see very hard and even when it is fed through a softener the minerals that remain in the water end up block the valves / valves / valves of the boiler which breaks down compromising then the disinfection of the part of the machine which must be it.
The use of commercial distilled water is a solution, but it seems that if one compares its cost with that of the regular maintenance of the boilers the latter is more advantageous.

I thought then that it might be possible to use solar energy to distill the water needed for the operation of this steam generator. The goal is to have reliable operation without the need for regular maintenance and without excessive consumption of energy outside the sun.
I do not have the exact consumption but it must turn between 5 and 10l per day so maybe it's playable in solar, and even if it is only 6 months of the year is already good. The thing is that several hundred of these machines are in use, so the solution must be replicable in many copies without being too much gas plant and of course the investment in hardware / installation must be amortized in a few years.
But, before thinking about large-scale deployment and profitability, we must already study the feasibility and technical solutions available.
If by the way you have an opinion or ideas, I take it.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Distilling water with solar

by Ahmed » 29/05/19, 20:48

It must be easy to recover the condensation water in a device similar to a mini greenhouse: a simple inclined glass will sink the droplets in a gutter that will direct the condensate to the storage container ...
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
jean.caissepas
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by jean.caissepas » 30/05/19, 09:28

Dual flow VMCs also condense water from the air and often send it to sewers. On the other hand, the production varies according to the season.

Otherwise you have to tinker with a satellite antenna to make it a solar concentrator. The steam produced can be cooled by a pipe that passes into the ground.
0 x
Past habits must change,
because the future must not die.
peter
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by peter » 29/10/23, 19:17

Currently seeing the bacterial rate in running water (at max)
and the tons of antibacterial additives added at the source,
heatwaves...
Distilling with solar power would have a double health and ecological benefit.
0 x

Back to "Solar thermal: solar collectors CESI, heating, hot water, stoves and solar cookers"