Heat storage in sand

Solar thermal energy in all its forms: solar heating, hot water, choosing a solar collector, solar concentration, ovens and solar cookers, solar energy storage by heat buffer, solar pool, air conditioning and solar cold ..
Aid, counseling, fixtures and examples of achievements ...
ojal
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Heat storage in sand

by ojal » 19/12/23, 18:09

Hello,
I was thinking about a relatively low-tech solution for storing energy and a tank filled with sand seems to be quite appealing.
Have these solutions for storing heat in sand already been discussed on the forum? I haven't found anything yet, which surprises me?
The idea, more precisely, would be to heat a mass of sand to a high temperature of around 500°C - perhaps more - using electrical resistances powered by solar panels.
The energy recovered at the output would be heat to be reused in the most appropriate way depending on the applications.
If the subject has not already been discussed, it can be discussed in this thread.
Thank you
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Heat storage in sand

by sicetaitsimple » 19/12/23, 18:38

ojal wrote:Energy recovered at the exit
Thank you

There have been tons of storage concepts in solid materials. But one of the problems lies precisely in this “recovery”, which is not really easy or very costly in terms of energy. Hence the fairly widespread adoption of “molten salts” which not only have qualities but at least that of being pumpable.
1 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 19/12/23, 18:45

ojal wrote:Hello,
I was thinking about a relatively low-tech solution for storing energy and a tank filled with sand seems to be quite appealing.
Have these solutions for storing heat in sand already been discussed on the forum? I haven't found anything yet, which surprises me?
The idea, more precisely, would be to heat a mass of sand to a high temperature of around 500°C - perhaps more - using electrical resistances powered by solar panels.
The energy recovered at the output would be heat to be reused in the most appropriate way depending on the applications.
If the subject has not already been discussed, it can be discussed in this thread.
Thank you

The bread ovens on farms or hamlets in my region all used this principle...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
ojal
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ojal » 19/12/23, 18:51

sicetaitsimple wrote:There have been tons of storage concepts in solid materials. But one of the problems lies precisely in this “recovery”, which is not really easy or very costly in terms of energy. Hence the fairly widespread adoption of “molten salts” which not only have qualities but at least that of being pumpable.

How difficult would it be to recover the heat stored in a mass of sand? Wouldn't a relatively simple exchanger make it possible to carry out this operation?
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 19/12/23, 18:52

Hi, it seems to me that Guy had linked a solar concentration project with energy injection into the subsoil. There is no shortage of patents but in practice it is quite complicated to store such high temperatures over the long term. .

Otherwise there are heat pipe ou heat pipe, a technology using a heat transfer fluid which transmits heat to the ground, this being then returned. The method is widely used in civil engineering to stabilize the temperature (and by extension the stability) of roads or railways (line of Qing-Zang type railway on the high plateau of Tibet) in very cold areas (permafrost type).
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caloduc
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
ojal
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ojal » 19/12/23, 18:53

Macro wrote:
ojal wrote:Hello,
Thank you

The bread ovens on farms or hamlets in my region all used this principle...

Interesting :) Can you tell us a little more please? Maybe examples? Why doesn't it seem to be used anymore?
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 19/12/23, 19:08

ojal wrote:How difficult would it be to recover the heat stored in a mass of sand? Wouldn't a relatively simple exchanger make it possible to carry out this operation?

It all depends on the intended use of heat? But you were talking about 500° storage temperature, that starts to complicate things a little.
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 19/12/23, 19:16

1 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 19/12/23, 19:20

ojal wrote: Why doesn't it seem to be used anymore?

Ba...There are no more bread ovens in homes...More than nuclear bread machines : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 19/12/23, 19:25

Just to pretend... I did this at home... But it's just decoration
17030101071057000602983736957448.jpg
2 x