solar lamp battery charging with external charger

And if they were repairing rather than throwing and change? Rediscover the pleasure of the repairs yourself. How to diagnose a problem or find spare parts? Repair itself is way to save money generally!
Pierre29200
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

solar lamp battery charging with external charger

by Pierre29200 » 03/09/12, 16:53

I'm going for it ! I don't know if I'm on the right track.

Thank you for this site that I read at length and which convinced me to buy two second-hand electric bikes!

My question is the following :
How can I recharge a 3.6V 1400 mA Li-Ion battery with a Molex connector with an external charger?

This battery is currently charged at 0,977V and I read on the site that below 2,5V, in Li-Ion, it is dead ...
It dates from 09/10/2011.

In fact, the solar lamp for which it is used is in a too shady place in summer and the battery does not recharge.
I have a little lower a shed with a small solar installation which would allow me to recharge the battery on condition of disconnecting it and placing it on the charger which is fine.

My research of an adequate charger led me to find the link of the charger below by finding my solar lamp here:
https://www.batteryspace.com/superbrigh ... light.aspx
Recommended charger:
https://www.batteryspace.com/smartcharg ... isted.aspx

Problem: more expensive shipping costs than the charger ...

The data sheet for this other charger:
http://www.all-batteries.fr/media/pdf/FR/CEL9012.pdf indicates that it is not compatible with batteries with a Molex connector like that of my battery.
Is it a mechanical problem because there is no adapter provided for and there is a switch in the charger which only works when a battery is inserted which should be able to adapt or is an electrical problem?

Finally, does anyone know where we can find the "Molex" connector of this battery in Male version?
Connector views here:

Thank you in advance for your help,

Pierre
0 x
RV-P
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by RV-P » 16/10/12, 20:38

- Ho, ho! It can be seen that you do not collect enough old radio-cassette-CD sets which contain "tons" of these connectors! Even if the bars have more than 2 contacts, you can very well cut them to adapt them. And if you are afraid of making a mistake, you will be reassured by seeing that the line of pins is not exactly in the middle of the connector, but a little shifted on one side, which serves as a foolproof!
- What you do :
* You get one of these bars in an old station (which no longer works, of course!) (Do you have a soldering iron and a desoldering pump, at least?),
* Look for a place where your battery socket engages well, preferably near one end of the connector (unless you "find" a two-pin connector! Try to find one of the same model as your lamp!),
* You cut the connector keeping the 2 pins where the battery is connected without short-circuiting it,
* You solder 2 wires, one red and one black, respecting those of the battery,
* You connect everything on a stabilized supply which DOES NOT EXCEED the charging voltage indicated on your battery (4,1V or 4,2V, normally),
* And then, be patient!
- If, after a charge of several hours, if you reconnect the battery to your lamp it works, it's OK. Otherwise, you will need to change the battery!
- @ +!
0 x
It's easier to just make things complicated than complicate simple things!
Pierre29200
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Thank you for all these details and ideas

by Pierre29200 » 17/10/12, 00:04

I carefully note these ideas while waiting for the opportunity to recover these precious devices likely to provide the missing connectors ...
Pierre
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 17/10/12, 01:50

Also measure the current I with V slowly rising, is safer by limiting it and you can instantly tinker with an ersatz connector, with twisting fine wire, a little plastic and tape, avoiding short juices, without waiting a missing radio cassette player.

If you put too much I or V, it can catch fire, if you are unlucky.

Read on the internet the conditions of Li Ion recharges which are vicious.

And there they sell an armada of Molex, more French at all:
http://fr.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse ... molex&Ntx=
0 x
RV-P
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by RV-P » 17/10/12, 07:34

Dedeleco wrote:you can instantly tinker with an ersatz connector, with twisting fine wire, a little plastic and tape, avoiding short juices, without waiting for a missing radio cassette player.

- I have better than that: once you have found the wire (maybe an office "paperclip"), you cut two pieces of it, you weld the wires, insulate them with heat-shrink tubing and, Once the two "pins" are inserted into the battery connector, you assemble them with a drop of hot melt glue. Once the glue has hardened, you remove it all!
- But don't forget the old radio / cassette / cd sets. It can still be used !
Dedeleco wrote:If you put too much I or V, it can catch fire, if you are unlucky.
Read on the internet the conditions of Li Ion recharges which are vicious.

- That's why I specified to recharge on stabilized supply at 4,1V or 4,2V, for 3,6V batteries, very common on mobile phones !
ImageRuse of Sioux: Also check this side if your battery is "dead"!
0 x
It's easier to just make things complicated than complicate simple things!