Cut my boiler?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Korben

Cut my boiler?

by Korben » 11/03/08, 14:06

Hello,

I have 2 questions regarding fuel oil savings.

I live in a new building, very well insulated but I do not know if this pint is important.
I have a boiler in 2 positions: summer and winter.
In the "summer" position only the water (showers, etc.) is heated.
In the "winter" position, the water is heated for the showers AND for the radiators

We are in winter but ... we (my family and I) are absent every day between 8h00 and 18h00 ... and we have taken the habit, in winter, to put our boiler on the "summer" position at 8h00 when we leave. > In this way, this boiler no longer runs for the radiators of this empty house during the day.
My first question is: is this a good idea? I note that my fuel oil consumption is significantly lower than that of other members of my family who let their boiler run non-stop.

Here is my second question: This boiler therefore continues to make hot water (for showers) 24/24 .... Would it be a good idea to cut everything (electrical supply) during this ten hours of empty house .... ?????

Thank you for lighting my lantern ...

See you soon
Cedric
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 11/03/08, 14:27

if your current consumption is satisfactory and it is not freezing in your house "just before she leaves at 18 pm", it is not easy.
Let's not forget that it is not profitable to cool a well-insulated house too much. What temperature is it just before restarting the boiler?
As for the DHW, as you do not have the problem of the day / night rate, it may be better to reheat it just before using it, so when you get home from work.
What is your annual consumption?
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Korben

by Korben » 11/03/08, 15:45

my fuel oil consumption is 1500 liters per year for a large house.
but as I said I do not heat during the day and I only heat the rooms in which we live in the evening.

my question was more to know if it can damage a boiler to turn it off during the day ...

Or maybe the intermediate solution would be to set the temperature of the domestic water to the minimum?
I suppose that the boiler must turn less for water at 30 ° than 60 not ??

merciiii
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 11/03/08, 22:37

It's a very nice drink!

Several points:

sanitary water must be heated to at least 60 ° c, for hygienic reasons, otherwise, salmonella, legionella, and other unpleasant critters, possibly requiring a stay at the hosto, involving financial inconvenience and CO2-generating trips hospital to visit the sick ....

do not play too much with a lowering of the boiler water temperature if it is not designed for, otherwise, condensation, sulfurous acid coming from the chimney in the boiler, corrosion, holes in the boiler, premature replacement thereof , etc.

you would have to check (try) but if you have a winter position and a thermostat that prevents the T ° from falling below 16 ° when you are away, you should not see much difference using your boiler as it is, everything keeping a very good comfort.

Possibly see if the "slope" and the "shift" cannot be optimized if you have an outside sensor.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be