Getting started with Okofen boiler and installation

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
David74
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Getting started with Okofen boiler and installation

by David74 » 14/12/23, 11:02

Hello everybody
I didn't find it through research so I'm taking this opportunity to introduce myself: I bought in 2021 a chalet built in 2014 in Haute Savoie at an altitude of 900m, very good thermal insulation and inertia. Okofen Pellematic 12-32kW boiler with Pelletronic Touch2 regulation, automatic extraction of pellets in a 6m3 silo. Everything heats the 200m2 house with 2 levels of underfloor heating, a 3rd level of radiators, and a 200L hot water tank. Everything seems to be working quite correctly since my arrival, consumption +/- 4.5 tonnes per year.

My questions, thank you very much if you have answers:
>> The initial installer (2014) has stopped his activity, I have to find a successor for maintenance. I believe there is a code for the technician settings to enter in the padlock button in the menu, I cannot find this code in my docs. Do you know if a future technician will have access to it or be able to reset it?
>> I found a reputable heating engineer near me, who worked for Okofen for 15 years before setting up his own business, but I find him expensive: €350 for maintenance/checks/annual chimney sweeping, what do you think? Is it really necessary every year? I had the boiler swept at the beginning of 2023, it had not been done for several years, and it was not excessively full of ashes.
>> The previous owner fumbled with the heating curve settings to end up with the floor heating levels on a slope of 3 and a foot of curve at 23 (ext comfort lim temp 18, reduced ext lim temp 10). In your discussions I have never read such a high slope, does it shock you or is it not necessarily incoherent?

Detail:
- external probe close to the house, measures a temperature 3 to 4 degrees higher than reality
- room temperatures requested at heated floor levels: 21 during the day and 20 at night, 120 minutes in advance
- I have to measure but I feel in the house 19-20 at the beginning of the morning and 22 at the end of the afternoon
- my 2 heated floors (floor 0 and floor 1) do not have independent settings in the menu. The one on level 0 is 5 times smaller than the one on level 1, it is hotter. I have 4 sectors of heated floor at level 0 and 4 others at level 1, with mechanical valve on each sector. The valves are all fully open, will by adjusting the opening level of these valves influence the ambient temperatures, and is this a good idea or not (quality of water circulation in the sectors. ..)?
- the heating (radiators) on level 2 is off, these are 2 bedrooms and a bathroom used occasionally and the heat from the heated floors rises there if I leave the doors open up there. Do you think that in terms of consumption and for the installation, it would be more beneficial to heat the radiators on this level a little, rather than pumping heat from the heated floors on the lower levels?
- my heated floor areas have never been purged, I didn't even know it was being done but I saw my neighbor across the street doing it recently. Do you advise me to purge? every how many years please?

So I asked a lot of questions and hope not to be off topic or disturbing on this forum. Thank you very much for the time if you have some answers! And have a good winter everyone.
David
0 x
Pilpoill
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Okofen boiler handling and installation

by Pilpoill » 14/12/23, 12:37

Hello, in 2014 was it a regulation with a screen like this?

IMG_1624.png
IMG_1624.png (266.96 KB) Viewed 1533 times

For the slope of 3, the maximum that I have already had to follow is 1,6 with a foot of 44°
3 makes me think more of a setting to heat… a swimming pool which requires maximum calories.
0 x
David74
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: Okofen boiler handling and installation

by David74 » 14/12/23, 14:44

Thank you for your help Pilpoill,

here is my home screen then screen1 of the main menu.
I wonder why the previous owner stopped at 3 slope for heated floors. What are the disadvantages or risks please? I wonder if this inconsistent slope corrects a possible other unknown problem with the installation. For the radiators on level 2 he put 0,6 of slope and 25,5 of foot, and the result is also rather good on this floor.
thanks again
IMG_0203.JPG
IMG_0203.JPG (264.15 KB) Viewed times 1510

IMG_0202.JPG
IMG_0202.JPG (262.07 KB) Viewed times 1510
0 x
Pilpoill
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Getting started with Okofen boiler and installation

by Pilpoill » 14/12/23, 19:08

Sit down, thus adjusted your heating curve gives a departure temperature of 72°C for a setpoint of 21°C if it is 0°C outside.

You understand that there is a huge problem with this setting and if the work has been done according to the rules of the art for the PC there is a limit not to be exceeded. There must be a device that takes care of this security and I wonder how everything else is regulated…

Do you have a way to connect your boiler?
0 x
David74
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by David74 » 14/12/23, 19:26

Right now, with an outside temperature of 5 degrees:

- my heated floor has an ambient setting of 20, slope of 3 and foot of 23 => departure temp 25,5 and the atmosphere in the house is around 20

- my radiators upstairs have an ambient setting of 20, slope 0,6 and foot 25,5 => departure temp 28

So my heated floor heating curve does not take into account this slope at 3 it seems...
Either I start from scratch by testing various values, or I wait for the technician to come by at the end of winter to review everything with him (since overall my ambient temperatures and my consumption are ok).

Pffff ....
0 x
Pilpoill
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Pilpoill » 14/12/23, 19:39

David74 wrote:Right now, with an outside temperature of 5 degrees:

- my heated floor has an ambient setting of 20, slope of 3 and foot of 23 => departure temp 25,5 and the atmosphere in the house is around 20

- my radiators upstairs have an ambient setting of 20, slope 0,6 and foot 25,5 => departure temp 28

So my heated floor heating curve does not take into account this slope at 3 it seems...
Either I start from scratch by testing various values, or I wait for the technician to come by at the end of winter to review everything with him (since overall my ambient temperatures and my consumption are ok).

Pffff ....

Something is wrong with what you write with a slope of 3 and a foot of 23 you must have a start at 53 EXCEPT if a lower maximum has been set in the regulation for safety as well; in principle 45°

Whereas for a 0,6/25,5 curve it must be a start at 31,5.
If you look at the instantaneous starting value it could possibly correspond for this circuit.

If you want to do it much faster and it is connected we will all save time...
0 x
David74
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by David74 » 14/12/23, 21:22

I just looked, it is not connected, no ethernet connection.
But something strange happened... when I turned the "internet" setting on instead of off, to see if it was connected (downloaded before the mypelletronic app), my main menu screen went slightly changed. Then realizing that it was not connected, I put “internet” back on “off” and found my usual menu screen. But when I went to review my underfloor heating heating curve, the slope of 3 had increased to 0.3!! All other values ​​unchanged. And I promise it's not me who read 3 instead of 0.3 the previous days...
In short, I no longer touch anything, to see if within 24/48 hours I have the same climate as before in the house. But 0,3 slope and 23 feet seems very, very low this time... to be continued
0 x
Pilpoill
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Pilpoill » 15/12/23, 05:16

Okay so it was a simple display bug because with 5°C outside, a request for 20°C in setpoint and with a 0,3/23 curve we obtain 26°C in flow temperature which is much more consistent with your observation of 25,5°C 8)

The ethernet connector is located right on the back of the card just in case.
Just like a USB0 port that allows you to recover data.

For your heating curve, try to set up the operating graphs to see the evolution of your interior temperature as a function of the exterior temperature, but from what you have told us, the instructions have been reached.
0 x
David74
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by David74 » 15/12/23, 07:13

I didn't expect that there could be big display errors of this type, but there have been no annual maintenances to correct them.
Many thanks for your help, I'm going to buy a thermometer to make the graphs and refine them.
Thank you again and have a very happy new year!!
0 x
Pilpoill
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Pilpoill » 15/12/23, 07:35

If you really want to invest in a thermometer, without wanting to advertise I recommend the ThermoPro TP358.

Otherwise from your boiler you go to measurements/graph and you check the curves like this:

IMG_20231215_073420.jpg
IMG_20231215_073420.jpg (44.88 KB) Viewed times 1435
0 x