Rocket stove with an old coal stove

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Petrus
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Rocket stove with an old coal stove

by Petrus » 19/05/17, 18:56

When I bought my house, there was this stove in the attic:
poele_800.jpg

I thought it was nice, I'll be able to re-install it instead of the oil stove that was used to heat the floor 1er.
But when I unlocked the doors, I realized that this stove was not a wood stove, but a charcoal stove designed to burn only this fossil fuel, disappointment :(
poele_ouvert_800.jpg

plaque.jpg

I was then resigned to get rid of it when I had an idea: what if I made a rocket stove?
I could start the fire in a classic way and once it has taken well and generates a good suction, switch to rocket stove mode by closing the draw, loading a log by the top hatch and managing the draw by this same hatch. I could then use cheaper 50cm logs that will burn longer than 25 logs I intended to use.

There is no need to modify it, there is already a tube that goes down to the hearth (length: 40cm, diameter: 16cm).
tube_800.jpg

foyer_800.jpg

Has anyone here ever tried to operate this type of stove this way?
The stove's shape seems compatible with rocket stove operation?
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Rocket stove with an old coal stove

by Ahmed » 19/05/17, 19:55

It is at the level of the food that there is risk of incompatibility, unless to consider an adaptation ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Petrus
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Petrus » 19/05/17, 22:31

Can you develop STP? What would be the adaptations to make?
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 19/05/17, 23:11

the principles of the rocket stove consist of a feed at one end of the L or U, separate from the suction pipe (heat riser) and, having in between, a combustion chamber. This allows in the majority of the modes of execution (very diverse, it must be recognized) the use of long wood which, in the case of the U shape, supply the home by gravity as and when the combustion. Initially designed to burn small woods, this mode of feeding is therefore justified, even if more conventional sized sections are sometimes used successfully.
The adaptation to be carried out according to this description, would therefore be to add a feed tube, extended or not by a horizontal pre-combustion chamber ...
0 x
highfly-addict
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by highfly-addict » 20/05/17, 04:50

Hello, I warm myself with a stove of this kind, used in rocket mode. It works nickel!
A big difference however: the exit of mine is vertical.
I isolated the firebox and the heat-riser, dressed in unsealed refractory bricks, with compressed vermiculite.
The outlet pipe is also insulated on 50 cm, then it is naked on 1 m to benefit from the radiation, before diving vertically into a water heater of 200 l and to heat a masonry bench.
I am totally satisfied!
0 x
"God laughs at those who deplore the effects of which they cherish the causes" BOSSUET
"We see what we believes"Dennis MEADOWS
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 20/05/17, 07:44

I know your expertise in this area and I would like to have some pictures of your stove, is it possible?

I did not pay attention to the fact that the vertical tube, used for feeding in the coal stove of Petrus, would not serve heat riser in case of reconversion ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 20/05/17, 07:44

I know your expertise in this area and I would like to have some pictures of your stove, is it possible?

I did not pay attention to the fact that the vertical tube, used for feeding in the coal stove of Petrus, would not serve heat riser in case of reconversion ...
0 x
highfly-addict
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by highfly-addict » 20/05/17, 13:52

Some photos and details to come, but not before this night ... see you soon!
0 x
"God laughs at those who deplore the effects of which they cherish the causes" BOSSUET

"We see what we believes"Dennis MEADOWS
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 20/05/17, 14:01

Of course! Thank you in advance. 8)
0 x
Petrus
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Petrus » 20/05/17, 17:27

I'm also curious to see your installation highfly-addict, especially in terms of food and home, I could not recover the calories of fumes, but I am even curious to see the rest. Which log size do you use?
Ahmed wrote:I did not pay attention to the fact that the vertical tube, used for feeding in the coal stove of Petrus, would not serve heat riser in case of reconversion ...

Indeed, as on a conventional stove, the draw will be provided by the fireplace, which interests me is the principle of vertical feeding that burns long logs with a small fireplace, it will not be a rocket stove mass, but a pocket rocket.
0 x