Backup power for home - KOHLER SDMO 6000HX generator

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Remundo

Backup power for home - KOHLER SDMO 6000HX generator

by Remundo » 07/08/23, 17:47

Hello Econologists

I finished at the beginning of August a project that I had started for some time.

This is to power a complete house from a single-phase 6000 W generator. This house is itself installed in three-phase.

The model I have chosen is a KOHLER-SDMO professional machine with a Honda engine.

: Arrow: The idea is to have an emergency solution giving almost the same service as the EDF network and not a precarious system which gives 1500 W.

The first video shows you the preparation and commissioning steps

The second video focuses on the pros and cons of having a single-phase generator even in the case of a three-phase domestic installation.

: Arrow: WARNING: the operations presented require technical knowledge of electricity and are potentially dangerous. If you have little experience or a weak understanding of electrical installations, I recommend that you call on a person qualified in electricity to analyze your installation and help you before any intervention.
1 x
SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Backup power for home - KOHLER SDMO 6000HX generator

by SixK » 09/08/23, 16:11

Is it a diesel engine or a petrol engine?

If it's a gasoline engine, you should be able to run on ethanol to lower the cost of generation. (perhaps this is already what you are doing or had in mind?)

In terms of cost, is it interesting compared to EDF prices?
1 x
Optimists invented airplanes, parachutes pessimistic. George Bernard Shaw.
Thought personal, I understand better why the big bosses invented the golden parachute.
Remundo

Re: Backup power for home - KOHLER SDMO 6000HX generator

by Remundo » 09/08/23, 17:30

it is a gasoline engine.

I haven't tried putting it on ethanol, the carburetor isn't set for that.

I still asked myself the question, 10 L of ethanol would give about 20 electric kWh for 10 €

it's 50 ct€/kWhelec, so it's not very interesting, it's 2 to 3 times more than the EDF network price.

On an isolated site, on the other hand, it is an option, but rather in combination with PV. Fuel remains expensive.

Diesel groups running on oil can compete with the network, but that is not my objective here. My goal is a very comfortable emergency power supply.
0 x