Gravity watering

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Gravity watering

by izentrop » 10/09/23, 12:18

Watering in a greenhouse with a watering can poses a problem, especially with tomatoes: risk of black culm (apical necrosis), fruits splitting or even bursting after watering.
The ideal way to avoid water stress is drip watering during the coldest hours, i.e. very early in the morning... not easy for late risers. : Lol:

The garden being 80 m from the house and wanting to use rainwater without using a pump, at a minimum water height of 30 cm, I was left with gravity watering. I bought a kit with nozzles, connection tees, 6mm tube and various accessories.

First assembly: around thirty nozzles, around twenty meters of tube, water height around 40 cm...
Adjustment of the first nozzles... After the third or fourth, I suspected: more flow for the following ones...

So I calculated:
Internal diameter of a nozzle: 2 mm, 3.14 mm² section, for approximately 40 nozzles: 125 mm².
To avoid losing pressure, the diameter of the distribution tube must be increased to a minimum of 13 mm.

That's good, I had an old 20 m 15 mm interior pipe in reserve.
So I drilled it with 4,5 mm holes every meter. the tees fit in force without leaking. The end of the pipe blocked.

And there you have it... All that remains is to connect it to the 1000 liter tank and complete with a programmer...
gravity irrigation.jpg
Raised to 1 m after adjustment, flow ~unchanged...
gravity watering.jpg (198.13 KiB) Viewed 1164 times

nozzles2.jpg
connected nozzles
buses2.jpg (288.85 KB) Viewed 1164 times
1 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Gravity watering

by A.D. 44 » 10/09/23, 13:11

Hello,

Can you make a diagram, even a rough one freehand?

With the heights? please thank you
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 10/09/23, 13:30

and yet! :P

0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 10/09/23, 13:49

Your video: nothing to do with the subject, you want to undermine it?

Crooked pipe : Oops: ...Is that okay with you?
plan.jpg
plan.jpg (52.81 Kio) Viewed 1137 times
Last edited by izentrop the 10 / 09 / 23, 13: 51, 1 edited once.
1 x
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by oli 80 » 10/09/23, 13:51

Hello,

here is a detailed article on drip irrigation without pressure
https://www.aujardin.info/fiches/arrosa ... ravite.php

here they made everything homemade even the dripper nozzles

there is the iriso system that I saw in stores based on this principle
0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 10/09/23, 14:13

izentrop wrote:Your video: nothing to do with the subject, you want to undermine it?

Crooked pipe : Oops: ...Is that okay with you?
plan.jpg

Top!

Thank you

-----------------------------

Does the flow rate seem about the same on all nozzles?
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 10/09/23, 14:22

> Oli80: For permanent watering, with very clean water, without limescale, by greatly reducing the flow rate, you can use capillary, but this type of red nozzle is difficult to adjust for a low flow rate

I tried to set a flow rate of 1 drop per second for example... it's super sharp and you come back 10 minutes later, some no longer flow and others too much. After starting over 10 times you're tired of it Image

So that the nozzles all flow the same without problems, even when the tank is full (1.3 m water height) I screw in fully and loosen each nozzle by half a turn Image
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 10/09/23, 15:18

I forgot to specify that the first test had been, without using nozzles, to drill holes at each plant of 1mm in the 6mm tube...
No identical flow rate for each plant and the same: depending on the water height, certain holes no longer flowed, from one test to another.Image
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 10/09/23, 16:47

I add my grain of salt (collaboration) to what I did, 26 years ago.
Water is expensive for domestic watering, and the chore is tedious.
I came across 2 boxes of drippers and fittings sold for 4 Fr at Carouf (before). I bought 20 m of special black pipe. And in fact with the loss of load this is not possible.
Found at croque-faille (before), a 50m roll of flexible dia 20 garden hose, not expensive at all. Its problem is that it is really floppy and if handled, tends to bend and twist. The trellis mesh to reinforce it made it difficult for me to plant my black connection bits there. And in the long run the thin wall tends to collapse and the nozzle leaks, but meh / the stolen water returns to the ground.
The izentrop pipe seems ideal.
Then water being quite expensive, and the resurgence of the Loire underground, I decided to dig a well on my own with tools of my design (a good month of summer and more...).
30cm of clayey soil, alluvial sand and pebbles which quickly blocked me at 4.80m.
The surface water is 2.30m in winter and 3.70m in hot weather. So that's fine.
In the housing estate it bothered me to run the pump, a little noisy all the same. I made an insulating box to enclose the pump. The top of a cut-out refrigerator chest, when it was possible to use it at the recycling center (before).
I made an outlet manifold, in 1 inch copper (recycled work) and 1/4 turn valves (recovered, but deteriorate in bad weather).

To supply the front of the house, I have no passage. So not possible to go through the house or the roof / lol. So I bought a 1 inch polyethylene pipe (and the necessary end caps), which I ran "parasitically" on the communal lawn, along the 30cm gable propped with stones against my foundations. I used a protective red scabbard there; way of speaking because these are scrap pieces in a construction dumpster that I gathered with gray sticky tape /lol.
In the photo, you can see the one-inch valve and the pipe going underground, incognito. With the diverter I can reasonably water the front of the house.
To the experience. Finally, even with this construction scheme, despite the pressure, the drippers became clogged, although the suction cremone was covered with 3 layers of filter fabric (?).
Now I use a lance made from an aluminum tube (broom handle?), first a watering nozzle adjustable by rotation, then the valve and at the end of the lance a watering can head. Directly fed on the pump, it rocks all the same.

Tomatoes, I water every 2 days and depending. But it's not a success, my crops in clay soil : roll:
For two years a much more serious problem. The invasion of tiger mosquitoes which prevent all activities in the garden.
Pfff, I can't even take my nap in my hammock anymore! Dog of life.

Connection of drippers on 20 pipe.jpg
Connection of drippers on 20 pipe.jpg (46.45 KiB) Viewed 1093 times

Same principle as izentrop, but pipe too flexible.
The dripper support with IRO tube
Attachments
dripper and support made of IRO tube.jpg
dripper and support made of IRO tube.jpg (129.6 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 10/09/23, 17:04

The photos are jumbled...
Wells and distribution after pump.jpg

We can see the well (11,2cm interior/recovery)
The box whose door closed 20 years ago...
The nurse with shut-off valves.
Exits in 3/4 with its 2 branches of garden circuit and in 1 inch on the right towards the red sheath, for the passage on earth and access to the facade of the house.
and bazaar everywhere. : Lol:

PS: I found it wise to adjust the dripper with a domino
0 x