Do you know the moth!!???

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Do you know the moth!!???

by A.D. 44 » 09/09/23, 19:23

This is probably not new to many of you...

I discovered this butterfly apparently native to the southern regions.

A real pest whose caterpillars eat the leaves of lots of things in my greenhouse (tomatoes, eggplants, strawberries, cauliflower, broccoli)

And if we are not vigilant and observant...it goes quickly!!!

Only remedy found, manual removal and Thuringian bacillus...

I am discovering...and you???
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Do you know the moth!!???

by Janic » 09/09/23, 20:23

This family of Lepidoptera is very widely distributed throughout the earth and includes several tens of thousands of species, including nearly 800 in France. Shapes and colors of caterpillars (larvae) and butterflies (adults) are very diverse.
greenhouse cultivation prevents their possible predators (mainly birds) from limiting, at least, the multiplication of various parasites of our crops.
likewise the bacilli spread on these crops can create self-resistance of the “parasites” in question as we see in humans.
an unwanted example
a few years ago, I had grown non-organic potatoes and these were infested with beetles, picked up by hand, the few potatoes that remained in place grew back the following year and I only had a few beetles, while the neighbors continued to be infested with them, and the third year the regrowth no more beetles, while the neighbors continued to be still infested with them: who has the explanation?
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 09/09/23, 21:26

I have some this year too. There are years with it, others without. What's annoying is that they also attack green tomatoes.
By shaking your feet, they fall to the ground... Today I crushed several of them, green ones with yellow lines on the sides: gordini caterpillars : Mrgreen: http://ephytia.inra.fr/fr/C/5139/Tomate-Noctuelles

I am not treating, for the moment I only have 2 plants affected out of 22, including a plant of Russian tomatoes, that must be premonitory : Mrgreen:

I have insect netting, I covered a frame with it to protect my leeks from the leaf miner (an insect that we didn't see a few years ago.)
Another framework to protect my cabbages from the pierid, but this year they were still devoured (not airtight enough or a chrysalis in the ground which hatched under the net grrrrr!)
The greenhouse was new this year, but next year I lined all the openings with insect netting.
0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 09/09/23, 22:56

There must actually be lots of varieties...

here the caterpillars are green (the same color as the veins of the leaves... unbelievably) it's not easy to see them at first glance!

And butterflies usually fly in the evening or at night, which makes their detection quite difficult...

As a result, I realized the infestation late... at first I thought the black spots were aphids, before realizing after two or three days that they were caterpillar droppings!!! And that the attacks on the foliage were caused by those pesky caterpillars...
0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 09/09/23, 22:58

I also use the nets for cabbages (against the white butterfly...recognizable white butterflies)

I think that from now on I will have to cover my entire vegetable garden with these nets...pffffffff
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 10/09/23, 11:17

Hello,
This morning I crushed a pair again...
noctuelle1.jpg
Noctuelle feasting...
noctuelle1.jpg (68.66 KiB) Consulted 1473 times

noctuelle2.jpg
In his last moments...
noctuelle2.jpg (79.57 KiB) Consulted 1473 times

Russian tomato.jpg
Phew! some untouched Russians...
Russian tomato.jpg (124.5 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 10/09/23, 13:03

So, do you have a tip, a technique, a trick in mind???
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 10/09/23, 14:50

As long as it's not so serious, keep an eye out, shake suspicious feet, have a floor that's not too cluttered to spot them falling, eliminate them by throwing them away if you're a Buddhist or if you're against animal suffering. ...although if they don't find their food they will suffer more than being crushed : Twisted:

One year I had not pruned or cut the suckers, the moths caused a lot of damage because, thanks to the dense vegetation, we could not see them and they could pass from one plant to the other...

To obtain more tomatoes but smaller it was not a success :frown:
0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 10/09/23, 15:14

The caterpillars that I have, cling and grip firmly!!!

Shaking the branches doesn't make them fall at all, when I pick them up by hand, you really have to pull to dislodge them.

A plague these critters
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 10/09/23, 16:20

Apparently she doesn't like black soap, plus a spoonful of oil as a wetting agent. https://jardinonssolvivant.fr/experienc ... -gatineau/
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"