New Sloth Garden (33)

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Jihele33
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

New Sloth Garden (33)

by Jihele33 » 09/05/18, 10:45

Hello,
Newcomer to Lazy Potager, after reading your book I start hay this year after trying the plastic mulch (braided) that gave me good results (at my scale). I thank you for this nice work of popularization and culture (in every sense of the word) ...
I have two small vegetable gardens in two different places around my house, but I will detail this a bit later.
Today I have a question to ask you: I have seen in a few days rise many small blackheaded mushrooms very fragile ... is it serious doctor? It is a very wet parcel on which there is at the moment only seed potatoes ...
Thank you for taking the time to give me your opinion. Have a good day.
Attachments
Mushrooms2.jpg
Champis2.jpg (168.77 KIO) Accessed 7937 times
Mushrooms1.jpg
Champis1.jpg (137.24 KIO) Accessed 7937 times
0 x
Did67

Re: New Sloth Garden (33)

by Did67 » 09/05/18, 15:08

To be happy (almost always!) Of the presence of "mushrooms":

- these "carpophores" (reproductive organs) are only the very small part of a gigantic underground iceberg: the network of hyphae, which constitute the real body of these "fungi", and which have accumulated the substances necessary for its construction ... You have to imagine a gigantic "cotton candy", several meters long, which you cannot see, but which is the "body" of this mushroom ...

- almost all fungi are ... "saprophytes" (yes! yes!): they feed on dead organic matter, which they digest; without "good" or "bad", except that at the end of this decomposition, there are the minerals which constituted the biomass which is digested ...

- so it's a happy sign of 3 things:

a) the soil is still sufficiently moist; in bare, dry soil, little chance of such "mushrooms" forming
b) that nothing blocks the development of fungi: therefore more useful fungi, such as those which combine with the roots of fungi to form mycorrhizae, which are very useful for plants, have every chance of developing (without necessarily doing "mushrooms"...)
c) that the process that will feed the vegetables is taking place!

Youpi, go to the deck chair to destroy nothing!

[And by the way, wonder about the neurotic side of our "phobia" of fungi, on the grounds that some are parasites - and give fungal infections -, others diseases to plants - powdery mildew, mildew, etc. - or that still others are toxic! In the deckchair, we have time to "take care of"]
2 x
Jihele33
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Jihele33 » 09/05/18, 21:57

Thank you for your answer ... I'm not really worried about the presence of mushrooms but rather curious ... These were very ephemeral because the sun shriveled. Others may come. I wait for them impatiently since my transat.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 10/05/18, 08:50

Yes, very often, these "carpophores" are very ephemeral, and "melt" once their mission is accomplished ...

It may have been the black ink coprin: http://mycorance.free.fr/valchamp/champi5.htm
0 x
Jihele33
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Jihele33 » 10/05/18, 21:11

Hello,
Here I have a little time so I will make a brief presentation of my kitchen garden lazy to me.
First of all, I know very little about farming or gardening ... I planted until 2015 seedlings that I bought in pots, since I do my sowing with seeds mainly from Kokopelli and of my own production (qd it does work well).
I have never treated anything with anything (I just use ferramol for slugs and snails early in the season). I do not put fertilizer. I assume that I can not already consume everything that the garden gives me, the possible diseases are in some way the share of angels ...
As you can see, performance and performance are not my driving force ...
The situation: garden around a house in the Bordelaise suburbs. 2 plots for the kitchen garden. I do not know the peculiarities of the soil (it seems that it is clay).
One of 70m2 : for potatoes, potimarrons, zucchini, aubergines, onions, beets, parsnips ...
Stayed a long time fallow (voluntarily because it allowed me to have a place of macrophotography ideal). Then mulched with a plastic mulch woven by the weed of weed to make a kitchen garden since 2 years ... The concern is that this method has facilitated the life of bindweed which no longer competition has a little proliferated ... Nothing too embarrassing but you have to watch.
One of 50m2 (with a walnut in the middle) used in vegetable garden since 10 years: for tomatoes, sweet potatoes, leeks, turnip, onions, parsnips, beets, Jerusalem artichokes, strawberries, arichaut ...
To know how and why I spread ... Well it's fun and also because the part of 70m2 has bindweed and I noticed that the animal did not like eggplant, zucchini and squash. For potatoes, it's variable.
The part of 50m2 is planted with a walnut in the middle and yet it is here that the harvests are the most important.
These two plots have not undergone any treatment since at least 15 years ...
I discovered the kitchen garden of La Parouseux thanks to the book that I found awesome and very well done. For once I understood everything even if I a little zapped the too scientific parts. So I went looking for hay that I could find quite easily balls 250kg (delivered). 2 Balls did the trick.
I spread the hay quite late (late January) on the plots without doing anything below. There is a bit of everything, old plants, weeds torn off from the compost, branches and bamboo cut into small pieces ... All alone is physical but it passes ...
since I observe and planted 15 days ago my potatoes (50 feet), my sweet potatoes (15 feet), leeks and turnips (in direct seeding), Jerusalem artichokes that I was given, strawberries recovered from last year, and today my tomatoes (20 feet) ... Until then it goes, some grass and others that can cross here and there but easy to control. The potatoes are all out ... The leeks point their nose. And there are plenty of mushrooms (sometimes ephemeral) everywhere ... It seems that it's a good sign :D .
Tomatoes are planted today and for now do not complain ... : Lol: : Lol: : Lol:
Some attacks of slugs thus preventive treatment of Ferramol and hunt at the headlamp at night (a 20aine of prisoners of war)
My tools are very simple: a right hand, a left hand, a large tool to trim the hedges (bought at lidl) to cut the hay layer and a bulbous plant to make holes and transplant my plants ...
For now I do not water ... The earth is full of water so it grows ... We'll see later if I have to put a drip system.
Here is a first presentation. I will detail as and in the coming weeks ...
In photos my tomatoes planted today, the attacks on Jerusalem artichokes, my tools and a plant of forgotten potatoes (there are 4 or 5 like that) who managed to cross the 15 / 20cm of hay ...
Attachments
Jerusalem artichoke-Limaces.jpg
Tomatoes2.jpg
Tomatoes1.jpg
Potato1.jpg
My-outils.jpg
My-Tools.jpg (216.27 KIO) Accessed 7817 times
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 10/05/18, 22:10

From my point of view, vegetables (potato, tomatoes) a little pale green pulling on the yellowish, a sign of relative poverty in nitrogen. Who will correct it as soon as the hay begins to decompose (finally, we will arrive in the final phase of the decomposition of the lower layer, the one that is wet: nitrification) and will play one of these roles, that of fertilizer natural...

But since you had enough before, you will find yourself in overproduction!

Indeed, the course of the slugs at the arrival of good weather, first plantings, is to pass and the pickup requires half a dozen nights of perseverance. Then the population plummets, the plants grow and the slugs are satisfied with the lower leaves, faded or sick ... They play their role of cleaners ... And the auxiliaries (carabes, staphylins ..) are more numerous, more affective. ..
1 x
jpbord
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by jpbord » 13/05/18, 23:19

Hi,

there are more and more lazy people gardening! I am in the Dordogne near Bergerac and frankly Didier my give back taste to my garden, the look is not the same, before I acharnais the tasks of gardening classic (plant fast, weed again and again! evening, find the right product to eliminate aphids, slugs and potato beetles, ect ....) now I look, I am attentive to the life of my garden and no matter if on 12 transplanted salad plans one or two are eaten . In short all these plants that I pamper bring me the pleasure of the eyes and the senses! A renewal another experience of life in its entirety.
2 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 14/05/18, 00:08

Nice feedback ...

Although watering, thinking and experimenting (I was a sting of watering) I think it is (unfortunately) still necessary: ​​but there is always a way to do it lazily : Mrgreen:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 14/05/18, 16:44

Jpbord wrote:Hi,

there are more and more lazy people gardening! I am in the Dordogne near Bergerac and frankly Didier my give back taste to my garden, the look is not the same, before I acharnais the tasks of gardening classic (plant fast, weed again and again! evening, find the right product to eliminate aphids, slugs and potato beetles, ect ....) now I look, I am attentive to the life of my garden and no matter if on 12 transplanted salad plans one or two are eaten . In short all these plants that I pamper bring me the pleasure of the eyes and the senses! A renewal another experience of life in its entirety.

Thank you. Nice !!!

[This is exactly what I'm trying to achieve: not to lock in new dogmas, with new rules, new "you have to ...", other "yaka ...". But free the gardener. For that just to change the glance cast on the things ... This is why I take so "long" to explain, whereas enacting a rule is done in two lines: "Your land always clean you will keep!", For example]
1 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 14/05/18, 17:18

mash the other day what a galley to make tomato planting holes!

it took me the pickaxe ... the soil was seriously drying up, even under the hay (layer surely not thick enough, I confess).
there was a residue of moisture but it was still concrete! and with that, large cracks, trenches and galleries of rodents, full of weeds and tough roots that had developed despite the hay, in short it was Verdun ...

but today, two days later, it will have been enough hours of good night rains to find a completely different soil, very tender, crumbling easily by hand!
like what sometimes it is necessary to know how to wait a little, knowing that the weather envisaged rains ...
0 x