Method and manufacture of paper binder for loose insulation?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
delnoram

by delnoram » 25/07/08, 23:41

History of determining a subject, I have just "plastered" a wall with paper binder, so insulation question is not a panacea given the low thickness.

60% wet paper + 30% sand + 10% hydraulic lime

The aim was to lower the temperature of a wall exposed to the south, which is the case, 3 ° less than the wall without plaster (dry plaster of course).
The second, whitewash the wall for brightness.
The 3rd was to try this material, and there surprise, it arises easily and we can smooth it.

Question of fragmenting bricks made by "binding paper" it seems quite feasible, even if it no longer interests anyone : Mrgreen:

Excuse the photo, it is cloudy like when we put water in the Pastis Image

On the other hand, I would like someone to explain to me how cement (from "Portland") is chemical, except that all matter is chemical.
Artificial would it not be more appropriate, it goes without saying that lime is also when it is made by the hand of man.
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"
"It's not because they are likely to be wrong they are right!" (Coluche)
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 26/07/08, 00:06

: Arrow: You just plastered the wall on the inside or outside. :?:

The photo does not allow to determine it. It is a sheltered wall.
Would your paper binder withstand the weather? :?:

What did you do it with ... old newspapers. :?:

(sorry for this avalanche of questions and thanks for the unearthing) : Mrgreen:
0 x
delnoram

by delnoram » 26/07/08, 00:18

Interior wall.
For bad weather, I'm not sure, I would do a test on a dry part to see.

Made with old magazines, directories, advertisements ... well, everything I could find :D
Last edited by delnoram the 27 / 07 / 08, 09: 35, 1 edited once.
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"

"It's not because they are likely to be wrong they are right!" (Coluche)
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 26/07/08, 02:15

Hello

I visited the factory which makes the insulation with paper, it adds a white powder? in celullose to make it flame retardant
at the laboratory he takes samples and puts out the fires which must extinguish by himself just a hole where the beak of the flame touches.

Andre
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 27/07/08, 00:35

Andre wrote:Hello

I visited the factory which makes the insulation with paper, it adds a white powder? in celullose to make it flame retardant
at the laboratory he takes samples and puts out the fires which must extinguish by himself just a hole where the beak of the flame touches.

Andre

All the manufacturers say that they use boron salt to treat cellulose wadding. Its effectiveness is known against insects and small mammals.
I do not know if it is boron salt which gives cellulose wadding its flame retardant qualities ... :?:

Boron salt is also used in ecological wood constructions where users wish to avoid "heavy" chemical treatments recognized for their toxicity and their VOC emissions ...
Besides, it is a very economical treatment ...
0 x
Michal
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Michal » 28/07/08, 18:48

I come back to the (possibly) toxic aspect of the paper binder. Is there no problem using the paper binder made with newspapers, pubs etc ... to make an interior insulation. These papers contain chemicals, solvents, inks ... which are anything but natural. Is it guaranteed that once in the form of brick or plaster, there is no emanation whatsoever?
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 29/07/08, 07:59

: Arrow: Standards have changed a lot, but I don't know their global scope ...
The main purpose of these standards was to limit the exposure of printers to certain occupational diseases.

The best known change is that of removing lead from inks.
0 x
Bibiphoque
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bibiphoque » 29/07/08, 10:05

Hello,
I confirm, borax has been used as an insecticide and fire retardant for almost 2 centuries, it is very little toxic to humans, but it should not even be eaten!
One impregnated the curtains of theaters for example.
It is part of a "homemade" recipe against cockroaches: 1/3 flour, 1/3 sugar and 1/3 borax quite effectively.

It is also a "flux" for solders of various metals, gold, copper, silver etc.
It is obvious that for the uses mentioned above, it is pointless to buy "laboratory" quality, the industrial version is quite sufficient (less pure)
@+
0 x
This is not because we always said that it is impossible that we should not try :)
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 01/08/08, 11:01

Nice delnoram experience. A beautiful coating with paper.

I saw a few others with an anarchitect in the Cevennes these days, it was just a little more dirty !?

For the question of the "toxicity" of small mixtures, it was a question of cement, paints, and fire-retardant powders ...

Cement has the main disadvantage of being not very permeable to water vapor less than lime in any case, which is why it is often less appreciated in "ecological" construction.

The paints in a recuperated plaster, they are as toxic as those on wallpaper, or those in newspapers that we have all the time in our hands ... The only problem is that there may be some toxic releases in the event of fire, but to avoid that, are you ready to part with your new designer sofa with foam and plastic or your entire library? : Cheesy:

Flame-retardant powders, I don't know which product is used in "cellulose factories", I just recently saw some coating with calcium aluminate to reinforce the fire behavior it seems to me. I had already heard of borax, it would be necessary to compare, to know if at home it is more or less toxic than the intumescent paints that little children have a good time licking? :?
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 01/08/08, 11:20

Good to know: sometimes recommended in homemade recipes, it is nevertheless a very strong chemical that can cause nausea, skin irritation, headache, diarrhea and even in high doses, irregular heart rhythm (or arrhythmias).

source: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Na2B4O7
0 x