Bike that derails

Cars, buses, bicycles, electric airplanes: all electric transportation that exist. Conversion, engines and electric drives for transport ...
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Bike that derails

by Forhorse » 09/08/23, 13:00

I do have a chainline problem.
I measured, the chainring is 6mm too far out (or the cogs 6mm too far in...) which explains why it derails when you are on the large cog (6mm is almost the width of chain !)

For now it will stay like this because it is not intended to be used as such. It's a bike that I have to "electrify" with a kit (I've already done the same on my mountain bike)
I will therefore wait to receive the kit (it has been ordered) and therefore to have changed the wheel (it is a motor-wheel kit) to take the measurement of the chain line and make the necessary adjustments depending on the situation. (shorter bottom bracket and/or spacers on wheel axle)
1 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 11/08/23, 15:20

The complete bike is sometimes only slightly more expensive https://www.carrefour.fr/p/velo-de-vill ... 6181841683
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 11/08/23, 19:20

It's true that at 620 euros (on sale...) the VAE is really cheap! Especially since the one I'm retyping is based on exactly the same frame (normal since it was bought at Carrefour...) and its conversion has cost me so far:

- Very comfortable saddle (it's for Madame and her big ass...) 24.99€
- Derailleur + chain + cable & derailleur sheath + 6 speed freewheel 52.02€
- 2 tires + 2 inner tubes €39.95
- A bottom bracket 17.09€
- 250W rear wheel conversion kit, 470Wh battery €466
i.e. a total of €600... I won 20 balls... great! : roll:

but:
- I do not count the purchase of certain specific tools which were necessary for the repair (a socket for the bottom bracket and a chain drift) certainly it is not lost and could potentially be used for other repairs and on d other bikes, but hey...
- The quality of certain elements has nothing to do with it... like the tires + inner tube... on a VAE with 620 bullets on the original top, there are clearly no tires at 13€ each, but rather dung that is dying of fear (I experienced that on a mountain bike from a brand that starts with Deca and ends with thlon, the brand new thing, 3 outings, 3 punctures for not even 20km of travel in total.. . I mounted brand tires, no more punctures afterwards)
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 11/08/23, 20:48

Tires at décabouses, it was 10 and 11€, last year

all your original hardware seized up, rusty, soaking it in oil, could have had a revival?
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 11/08/23, 21:08

Forhorse wrote:I won 20 balls...great!
I haven't done better. My wife had the idea of ​​buying us a bike each.
I was left on this one which has a good mark on https://www.frandroid.com/survoltes/vel ... mie-au-top.

A lady's bike for my old bones, no need to lift your leg to ride it... : Lol:

And then at the last moment, as we cannot try at carrouf and since the test indicated
Stability is not the strong point of the TOPLIFE E-4600. For no apparent reason, the front end of the bike suffers from annoying instability
We took the model above E-MOTIVE REAR TOPLIFE. Which also has the front end a little unstable in certain situations, that's the lot of ladies' bikes in fact and it's not a problem when you get used to it. So more expensive model with 10 Ah battery instead of 13.

The big problem with these rear wheel motor bikes is the lack of torque. If you live in a very hilly region, it is better to switch directly to the central motor which offers a higher torque (> 50 Nm allows you to climb 10% hills without effort).
In my area it is still fine.
On the other hand with 10 Ah battery (70 km announced) in maximum assistance, I did the test today, 28 km with ribs, there were 2 bars out of 6 left on the battery, 35 km in these conditions would be a maximum :o
Forhorse wrote:the brand new thing, 3 outings, 3 punctures for not even 20km of travel in total... I mounted brand tires, no more punctures afterwards)
I burst the inner tube once while passing a railroad crossing.
Since I bought inner tubes and pumps, no more worries since...
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 11/08/23, 22:33

izentrop wrote:
The big problem with these rear wheel motor bikes is the lack of torque.

The engine of the kit that I'm going to mount gives a torque of 40N.m... so it's not great, but it still helps really well.
I installed the same thing on my mountain bike and with it I climb paths that I had never managed to climb while staying on the bike.

What makes the torque of a central engine is that it benefits from the gear ratio plate-pinion but at the cost of a much greater effort on the chain and faster wear of the entire transmission.

Now, it is true that the internal gearbox of wheel motors is not eternal either...

For me, the biggest drawback of wheel motors is that the assistance is based on a speed setpoint and not on a measurement of the pedaling torque as with (good) central motors.
1 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 11/08/23, 22:53

gegyx wrote:all your original hardware seized up, rusty, soaking it in oil, could have had a revival?

No chance, everything was welded together by rust. At the level of the derailleur, joint completely blocked and spring puffed up by rust (and a rusty spring breaks quite quickly), cable and derailleur sheath completely welded together, cable which was fraying in several places, chain also completely blocked, and even if I had managed to loosen it, the wear caused by the metal puffed up by rust rendered it useless.
The only part still usable was the freewheel and its sprockets, I bought a new one for simplicity for mounting on the motor-wheel kit
The bottom bracket is a bit the same story, it was still good but it's an old model, the pedal sensor of the VAE kit is mounted on the boxes with the internal slotted nut.
The additional pedaling sensor adaptable for the old boxes costs 25€, the new new model bottom bracket costs 17€... the choice was quickly made.
1 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 12/08/23, 08:29

Forhorse wrote:The engine of the kit that I will mount gives a torque of 40N.m
Max torque I guess. No indication at carouf or at https://denverbike.com/en/products ... Still allows you to climb the steepest hills in first gear without setting foot.

With the engine reference you can get a simulation. Couldn't find mine in the list https://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html
Forhorse wrote:For me, the biggest drawback of in-wheel motors is that the assistance is based on a speed setpoint and not on a measurement of the pedaling torque.
Don't mind road trips and running errands to the nearby town, which I could no longer do on a conventional bike.
0 x