Switch to a monosplit heat pump?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Switching to a monosplit heat pump?

by Forhorse » 03/02/23, 19:34

Obamot wrote::?: Well if you have a staircase, there's space under mebon,

A wood-burning stove under a staircase? uh... we're not talking about a castle, are we!
Also under a wooden staircase?
Especially since under the stairs is already part of the bathroom.
20230203_185725 (2) .jpg
20230203_185725 (2) .jpg (240.84 KIO) Accessed 1071 times

Afterwards I haven't ordered anything yet, if some feel the soul of an interior designer to find how to fit in a wood stove (or a masonry stove...) I take...

The plan of the RDZ, the plan was made to scale, the proportions are good.
PlanRDZhousing.jpg
PlanRDZlogement.jpg (310.33 KiB) Viewed 1071 times

The floor plan
PlanFloorhousing.jpg
PlanEtagelogement.jpg (265.78 Kio) Viewed 1071 times
1 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 03/02/23, 19:43

Either fridge or stove!!!! : Lol:

I see that!!!! : Lol: : Lol: : Lol:

Or, put Madame outside, 1 single bed, and the stove next to it, but it's forbidden to put a stove in a room. : Lol: : Lol: : Lol: : Lol: : Arrow: : Arrow: : Arrow: : Arrow: : Arrow: : Arrow: : Arrow: : Arrow: : Arrow: : Arrow: : Arrow: : Arrow:
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 03/02/23, 19:58

I presume that the thickness of the partition, with the dependency, has the same thickness on the ground floor as on the 1st floor? Either between 5cm and 8cm, am I right?
And what is in these dependencies? (On the 1st and on the ground).
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 03/02/23, 20:08

A small vertical log stove like Invicta Balami 43 cm wide would pass to the left of the sideboard. The door to the outbuilding is wide, there is enough to bite into on this side to avoid overheating the sideboard.
But if it's just for the 22 red days, you might as well use the kerosene stove you're used to.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 03/02/23, 20:19

If it was me I would condemn the entrance to put the stove....What's the point of an entrance? It's just losses when you open it...
You have to go through the window :D :D :D .
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 03/02/23, 22:23

Obamot wrote:I presume that the thickness of the partition, with the dependency, has the same thickness on the ground floor as on the 1st floor? Either between 5cm and 8cm, am I right?

No, at the RDZ it's an old stone wall 50cm thick. Upstairs is just a simple placo partition.
the outbuilding is a barn with a dirt floor, there is no floor.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 03/02/23, 22:25

izentrop wrote:A small vertical log stove like Invicta Balami 43 cm wide would pass to the left of the sideboard

This is currently the TV spot (fixed to the wall to save space) and although it could easily be moved above the sideboard, it seems really close to me.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 04/02/23, 09:06

Forhorse wrote:
Obamot wrote:I presume that the thickness of the partition, with the dependency, has the same thickness on the ground floor as on the 1st floor? Either between 5cm and 8cm, am I right?

No, at the RDZ it's an old stone wall 50cm thick. Upstairs is just a simple placo partition.
the outbuilding is a barn with a dirt floor, there is no floor.
Perfect...! You have a 'rustic' type of construction well suited to a mass stove.

As an example, here is what is possible (by being flexible, eh...)

— You can turn the stairs (temporarily during assembly) and make a mass stove in the same place (underneath but overflowing), and made of refractory bricks — it being understood that part of the body of the mass stove would be housed "under the stairs" (and using the largest available volume that can be "stepped over" by the steps) the rest "to be stepped over" by steps, being in bricks (or cast refractory concrete) the gable wall eventually becoming "inertial wall"... So you would have about 180cm from the gable wall to the bathroom door x 1m wide (or less under the stairs)
More than enough to do without changing your little habits too much, the wood stored in the outbuilding would be immediately available at just 1m away! No wasted space and only need 1 to 2 logs for 24 hours...
To answer your concerns, you can never burn your hand by touching a good mass stove... This danger does not exist, you recover the current wooden steps to put them on, identically!

— or else you don't touch the stairs and build the mass stove between the stairs and the bathroom door in height, i.e. approx. 1m2 on the ground (or less)

— or there finally, always placed in the same place, for approx. 300€, the "semi-removable" mass stove (because it can be transported once emptied of its sand) to be assembled yourself too, from a barrel... (video available, as well as about forty pages of instructions, gear list and tips... https://wiki.lowtechlab.org/wiki/Poelit ... %C3%A9riel

The advantage of location is tripled.

What do you have in the basement?
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 04/02/23, 09:53

Edit: The location advantage would actually be fivefold:

1) availability of wood not far in the outbuilding (floor 'clean' with no debris to clean)
2) it would certainly do well in the adjacent bathroom.
3) the heat would spread pleasantly on the ground...
4) located in the immediate vicinity of the stairs, by convection, the heat would flood the entire 1st floor quickly and for a long time during the day... Even better with a door at the top of the stairs, to easily 'regulate' the arrival of the heat (notoriously contained at the bottom as long as it is closed)...

IMG_20230204_102000.png
IMG_20230204_102000.png (6.35 KiB) Viewed 940 times

5) then the day, it would thus be possible to work in the office space thus tempered from the 1st, until the end of the day, the ideal moment for a new small outbreak and 24 hours of gentle heat... And cooking hot at noon below, would maintain the temperate atmosphere even better without loss. Finally the lie-ins would be cozy... even and especially if you live 'rough it' : Lol:

PS: in view of your photo, you could lengthen the span of the stairs, by putting a landing/step which would release a larger volume available under the stairs... And the stairs less difficult to climb.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 04/02/23, 10:33

PS II: a vegetable garden can even be laid out above a mass stove arranged lengthwise, again with energy savings here, since the energy that is dissipated in principle is contained.

In cogeneration, since backed by the bathroom, it would thus be just as easy to obtain free DHW, without great complexity (or even great ecological luxury, with a boiler above the stove, which will extract the rest of heat and temper its water to probably 40⁰/50⁰C, thus recovering the last calories and emitting only 'warm' smoke...)

Who can do more can do less... And vice versa : Lol:
0 x