Criticism of the current electricity market, inconsistency and prospective for renewable energies

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
SebastianL
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Re: Criticism of the current electricity market, inconsistency and prospective for renewables

by SebastianL » 06/01/23, 12:30

Looking at what is done in 3D additive manufacturing in aerospace, I saw:
- Inconel718 in 3D printing, not bad but does not hold its mechanical and protective properties against oxidation above 700°C. Disqualified.
The raptor uses forged inconel, so no mass 3d printing.
- Silicon nitride, very very interesting, holds 1200°c with excellent mechanical properties and very good resistance to oxidation, so that aerospace is the selection to make Laval nozzles for OxyH2 combustion

That being said, the original spirit is well and truly lost, the complexity is far too great, too many impregnable risks and without taking this risk the return of 50% is far too low to begin some development efforts. The worst being the constant discharge, untenable for daily storage like solar which charges 8H/24.
So that's it for my little conclusion on the role to play of nuclear power in terms of storage, I was hoping for better but the reality is there, they haven't finished keeping up with the load!
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Criticism of the current electricity market, inconsistency and prospective for renewables

by sicetaitsimple » 06/01/23, 13:07

SebastianL wrote:That being said, the original spirit is well and truly lost, the complexity is far too great, too many impregnable risks and without taking this risk the return of 50% is far too low to begin some development efforts. The worst being the constant discharge, untenable for daily storage like solar which charges 8H/24.
So that's it for my little conclusion on the role to play of nuclear power in terms of storage, I was hoping for better but the reality is there, they haven't finished keeping up with the load!

21 pages, or about 210 posts to get there!
Here, I'll copy you my first post, the second out of the 210, we're not far from the same conclusion:

My God!
I have read your article.
Beyond the fact that it is technically impossible to operate a turbine over such a temperature range, have you just calculated the storage volume that would be necessary to go from a power of 1000MW (pure nuclear) to a power of 1600MW (nuclear + storage), this 24/24? Which storage would be heated with renewable electricity, to then be reconverted into electricity with a yield of 30 to 40%? With which renewable electricity, produced when?
Well...I think you're dreaming, and you don't know much about it. Sorry.
0 x
SebastianL
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by SebastianL » 06/01/23, 13:39

sicetaitsimple wrote:
21 pages, or about 210 posts to get there!
Here, I'll copy you my first post, the second out of the 210, we're not far from the same conclusion:

Yes it's on but I don't regret my time spent on these 210posts I learned a lot among other things thanks to your arguments to all.
I will place it elsewhere in my HT storage, it doesn't matter, for example with a hot air gas turbine, 60% efficiency without stupid self-discharge!
What counts is to have a large capacity of erasure, not to explode the costs RTE, to store with a low cost of ENR at low cost and buffer for the output, 50% it is ok for me since the beginning.

This will make elec at half price for people who master the time programming of their uses.
Reliable storage is needed for H2 electrolysers and methanizers which will run 24/24 because of their cost.
I took a crappy shortcut but I master the ferns much better to get to the end of the road!
I was pressed for time because of the new nuclear study, now I am no longer, whatever happens it will not be the solution to my worries for the energy future.
1 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 06/01/23, 20:03

SebastianL wrote:Is there a material that can withstand 1000°C at 1000bar in steam to make the heating body and the Laval nozzle, because afterwards we find a reasonable level of temperature and pressure.

Refractory brick 2.0...
Or refractory concrete...

Refractory concretes are concretes that can withstand very high temperatures (up to 2°C). Refractory concretes can generally be used in the industrial environment to create homogeneous coatings
https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9 ... 9fractaire

In addition, this type of material is extremely resistant to compression (therefore pressure)
Concrete can easily be smoothed... Pre-cast in heated moulds, giving them almost any desired shape (but not reinforced).

And if we go higher in the requirements, smoother like glass we can, it's called "ceramics",

Refractory ceramics are structural ceramics that are resistant to high temperatures. They constitute a subset of refractory materials. or heat containment involving temperatures ranging from 600⁰C to over 2⁰C.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... DQBqh26ic_
even thermal tiles (space shuttle) and now we have made a combination of the two, a thick emulsion applicable on different types of surfaces... Which can be nozzle pipes or applicable on any of these materials, and this is not very expensive, replaceable and resistant to abrasion.

I say that, I say nothing, just an idea in passing... :? 8)
0 x
SebastianL
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by SebastianL » 06/01/23, 20:23

Obamot wrote:
SebastianL wrote:Is there a material that can withstand 1000°C at 1000bar in steam to make the heating body and the Laval nozzle, because afterwards we find a reasonable level of temperature and pressure.

Refractory brick 2.0...
Or refractory concrete...
In addition, this type of material is extremely resistant to compression (therefore pressure)
Concrete can easily be smoothed... Pre-cast in heated moulds, giving them almost any desired shape (but not reinforced).
And if we want to go higher in the requirements, we can, it's called "ceramics", even thermal tiles (space shuttle) and now we have made a combination of the two, a thick emulsion applicable on different types of surfaces. .. Which can be tuyeres tubing or applicable on any of these materials, and it is not very expensive, replaceable and resistant to abrasion.

I say that, I say nothing, just an idea in passing... :? 8)

Silicon nitride is precisely a ceramic, but the manufacture of a large monolithic piece must probably cost an arm and 2 kidneys.
The resistance is absolutely amazing
0 x
SebastianL
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by SebastianL » 07/01/23, 22:08

To come back to this high temperature heat pump story, I tried in vain to find an entropy balance inconsistency which would explain the impossibility of the device. The plot is great, why don't we already do that?
It's still very interesting, compared to traditional systems that use Joule Thomson triggers with a compressor that requires non-storable electrical energy. In this system, expansion is isentropic because the fluid is accelerated then slowed down with evaporation/suction, with of course some irreversible losses, but much less penalizing than adiabatic compression with pressure drops in the compressor valves.

With water, you can't pump very low in temperature, even working under partial vacuum but using another fluid, like r600a isobutane, it would work fantastically well for domestic refrigeration from a hot source , type hot water tank at 95°c.
When I see the share of the "cold" need in offgrid installations, often half, and therefore also in need of battery storage.
It would be well worth digging into the concept.
For heating also, many have well integrated the thermal panel, if in addition we can do pumping in the basement...
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 08/01/23, 01:01

SebastianL wrote:[•••] The plot is great, why don't we already do that?
because "we" are going to tell you that "if it worked, "we" would have done it already ( : Cheesy: )

Personally I would look for simple solutions (sorry that's not an insult..). : Cheesy: Extracting heat from the plant during off-peak hours to make it available in the form of electricity during peak consumption.

But in the absence of calculation, I am unable to say which is more profitable, reselling the current during off-peak hours to other operators who are not yet in off-peak hours, or storing the energy under form of HT heat transfer fluid (eg in a concrete block?) To reuse reinject this heat in order to produce electricity in the peaks, when it is expensive.)

For the energy balance you seem to believe it : Wink:
0 x
SebastianL
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by SebastianL » 08/01/23, 03:27

Obamot wrote:
SebastianL wrote:[•••] The plot is great, why don't we already do that?
because "we" are going to tell you that "if it worked, "we" would have done it already ( : Cheesy: )

Personally I would look for simple solutions (sorry that's not an insult..). : Cheesy: Extracting heat from the plant during off-peak hours to make it available in the form of electricity during peak consumption.

But in the absence of calculation, I am unable to say which is more profitable, reselling the current during off-peak hours to other operators who are not yet in off-peak hours, or storing the energy under form of HT heat transfer fluid (eg in a concrete block?) To reuse reinject this heat in order to produce electricity in the peaks, when it is expensive.)

For the energy balance you seem to believe it : Wink:

The conspirator that I am would say that it exists in the oil industry or airliquide type but that it is not shouted from the rooftops.

The simple solutions around nuclear, I think it's done, apart from doing good works and making biochar from shredded wood with steam at 285°c to extract the flammable gas from the wood and produce a production of "biochar" aggregate for gardens and for capturing atmospheric co2. Maybe bury greenpeace trolls in it, neither seen nor known.

The problem is that even if we manage to do super nuclear which tears everything up, like the gen4 ADS (subcritical with proton accelerator to generate neutrons and do waste reprocessing)
https://laradioactivite.com/energie_nuc ... rshybrides
We will always have the problem of variable ENR which will taint the profitability of the gen4 with the price which drops enormously when the ENR is productive.
People may think it's crap in the bar, ENR still produces it often and for a long time during the day!

Why do people go to RE? For the sake of autonomy, understanding and mastery of the system on which they are dependent.
In a capitalism system, the strong commercial dependence on a service necessarily calls for scams, but nuclear power is centralized by nature.
If people do not create energy alternatives with renewables, the price of nuclear invariably rises with dependence on electricity.
The nuclear industry creates the need: light everywhere at night, the electric car at night, the toaster.

Bruno and his friends have always done everything to increase the price of kwh (the linky, the mass electric car, 0.4€ per kwh at the pump before the crisis!, the ugly German coal not expensive enough) and lately he has gesticulated a lot like a moron to cut off the Russian gas...to save EDF's buttocks but no luck just after the CSCs come, so we have to be serious so that the population accepts the construction of new reactors...EDF then resumed a good scud for lack of effective production against the signed arenh...a bit expensive but it will help the population to make the right choice!

So that if the storage is not found with a minimum of economic performance, lithium LFP has an economic return of 10%, the stored kwh costs 10 times the same kwh which comes out of the panel at 20th the mwh, and well concretely , it is simply not stored and market prices fall
1 x
SebastianL
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by SebastianL » 08/01/23, 03:59

All this policy around nuclear leads to technical aberrations.
Not so long ago, hybrid cars were de-zinced, supposedly not ecological because they were badly used; it was above all badly subsidized.
A subsidy per electric km traveled was largely feasible administratively.

And what do we see? municipal swimming pools that close due to overpriced heating faults...
It's a shame because hybrid cars out of service due to battery failure, there are a shovel and really given.
I had repaired one with lithium batteries ($600) at the time, there was a little scam with the bms which was planned for Ni-MH but for €1200+€600 you have a 40kw electric generator + 40kw thermal which can wander from swimming pool to swimming pool, from condominium to condominium in winter and swing current and heat at ridiculously low cost.
Personally I had to connect a 220VAC converter directly to the 320V battery, my electric pizza oven worked perfectly, the heat engine started automatically to compensate for the discharge.

Do you think that the network injection contract can be facilitated and connect those who have ENR on the roof with a little battery that is not sufficiently charged in winter? Of course not, it should above all not be possible for mutual aid to be possible and for people to be able to get out of it with dignity.
Above all, it must not be easy for a boss who puts panels on the roof of his building to be able to charge the EV batteries of his employees.
Here is the EDF drift, I have seen them flow slowly for more than 10 years and today the whole industry is on the floor
2 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 08/01/23, 12:43

This is why "we" encourage you to continue, you talk about interesting subjects relating to needs, with hindsight on the adequacy VS inadequacy of means
/ causes and effects (from an original angle,)
And so we better understand the quest and motivation on various possible technical solutions.
1 x

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"