The lazy man's orchard: get more than organic fruit without tiring

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: The sloth's orchard: get more than ORGANIC fruit without getting tired

by Biobomb » 10/06/21, 23:13

My wall of blackberries over 10 m.
In full dodger, never watered.
DSC02907.JPG
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 11/06/21, 08:48

Ah, yes, in addition it is rather pretty and level breeze that arises there!
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 15/06/21, 09:25

Good news, I went back to the field to discuss some things and make friends with the previous owner.

There is a cherry tree which gives rather good cherries (it is small ... but let's say it is 2m high?), There is also a vine (west side of the house ... I am thinking of trying to lead it on a wire which will join a post) whose foot is quite large.

A part of the place where we intend to lead the hedge already has some brambles, which lets me think that the land is not lacking in water. We can therefore keep them in place!

A colleague has a second fig tree growing next to his, he's going to give it to me when we move in.
1 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 17/06/21, 09:39

Do any of you have a good knowledge of citrus? I still haven't found a solid answer to my question: is it possible to grow citrus fruit in a temperate climate like mine?
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 17/06/21, 12:50

The temperatures given below relate to trees in the ground already well established, 5 to 6 years old and free of any diseases or parasites that could weaken them.

Mexican lime lime: (citrus aurantifolia): -3 degrees.
Tahiti lime lime: (citrus latifolia) -4 degrees. (tends to lose the sheet in strong wind and low temperature). Used ti-punch and other perfumes.
Citrus: -3 to -4 degrees. The citron tree is used in candied fruit and jam.
Limequat: -3 to -4 degrees.
Bergamot tree: -5 to -6 degrees. The bergamot tree is used in perfumery, bergamot tea and perfume of bombons.
Lemon tree: -5 to -6 degrees. Including the 4 seasons lemon tree
Calamondin: (flat orange) -5 to -6 degrees. (The variegated variety of calamondin is a little less resistant -4 to -5 degrees).
Combava: -4 to -5 degrees. Used as a side dish and spice in cooking. (Here's how to grow kaffir lime)
True tropical grapefruit (citrus maxima) -6 to -7 degrees.
Clementine: -7 to -8 degrees.
Common mandarin: -7 to -8 degrees.
Orange tree: -7 to -8 degrees.
Pomelo: (citrus paradisi): -7 to -8 degrees. The pomelo star ruby ​​variety produces fruits with pink flesh.
Sour orange (bitter orange) -9 degrees. Used in perfumery and alcohol distillery Cointreau and Grand Marnier, orange marmalade, or as an ornamental tree.
Mandarin satsumat: -10 -12 degrees. The fruit freezes from -3 to -4 degrees
Kumquat: -10 -12 degrees. The fruit freezes from -3 -4 degrees.
Poncirus trifoliata: -20 degrees. The only citrus with deciduous foliage.
https://www.jardiner-malin.fr/fiche/res ... hiver.html
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 17/06/21, 13:38

Ah, thank you Guy. Enlightening and quite detailed! It will help me. especially the cards behind.
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 17/06/21, 13:42

Rajqawee wrote:Ah, thank you Guy. Enlightening and quite detailed! It will help me. especially the cards behind.

0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 17/06/21, 19:32

Rajqawee wrote:...
There is a cherry tree which gives rather good cherries (it is small ... but let's say it is 2m high?) ​​...

Here too and I just picked it the day before yesterday, a little prematurely. Why prematurely? Because of the birds.

If someone really finds me a lazy trick to keep them away, I'm a taker.

Nothing would have been left this year without drastic measures: continuous audio broadcasts of alarm calls from birds of the species concerned (blackbirds, magpies, jays, crows, thrushes) + various bizarre noises (sirens, squeaks ...) . But eventually the birds get used to it, and the neighbors complain. :) As the clicking sounds frighten them, I recorded some, with a pause of 15s, so an effect of surprise after the silence. But even topo, they get used to it. Blackbirds are the worst, really hellish! All these little people peck left and right, rarely finish the broken cherry, ignore it if it has fallen to the ground, in short, real sagoons. And all this, despite my hard work in developing the audio files! Because for everything else the cherry tree does very well on its own.

This cherry tree gives little but good cherries, and it is too big to put a net. What is the lazy solution? Nail a blackbird to the pillory to serve as an example? The slingshot as in the old days? The Japanese laser-fired robot? Help!
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 17/06/21, 19:45

Species protected by the Birds Directive of 1979, classified in Appendix II, relating to the conservation of wild birds. It is forbidden to harm Blackbirds as well as their nests and broods, under penalty of prosecution and legal sanctions. This species is still huntable in France.
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 17/06/21, 23:16

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:The temperatures given below relate to trees in the ground already well established, 5 to 6 years old and free of any diseases or parasites that could weaken them.

Mexican lime lime: (citrus aurantifolia): -3 degrees.
Tahiti lime lime: (citrus latifolia) -4 degrees. (tends to lose the sheet in strong wind and low temperature). Used ti-punch and other perfumes.
Citrus: -3 to -4 degrees. The citron tree is used in candied fruit and jam.
Limequat: -3 to -4 degrees.
Bergamot tree: -5 to -6 degrees. The bergamot tree is used in perfumery, bergamot tea and perfume of bombons.
Lemon tree: -5 to -6 degrees. Including the 4 seasons lemon tree
Calamondin: (flat orange) -5 to -6 degrees. (The variegated variety of calamondin is a little less resistant -4 to -5 degrees).
Combava: -4 to -5 degrees. Used as a side dish and spice in cooking. (Here's how to grow kaffir lime)
True tropical grapefruit (citrus maxima) -6 to -7 degrees.
Clementine: -7 to -8 degrees.
Common mandarin: -7 to -8 degrees.
Orange tree: -7 to -8 degrees.
Pomelo: (citrus paradisi): -7 to -8 degrees. The pomelo star ruby ​​variety produces fruits with pink flesh.
Sour orange (bitter orange) -9 degrees. Used in perfumery and alcohol distillery Cointreau and Grand Marnier, orange marmalade, or as an ornamental tree.
Mandarin satsumat: -10 -12 degrees. The fruit freezes from -3 to -4 degrees
Kumquat: -10 -12 degrees. The fruit freezes from -3 -4 degrees.
Poncirus trifoliata: -20 degrees. The only citrus with deciduous foliage.
https://www.jardiner-malin.fr/fiche/res ... hiver.html

I don't know one on the list to have seen it in cultivation.
it just makes you want.
Poncirus, I'll find out.
0 x