I start in my vegetable garden !!!

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
pi-r
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: I'm going into my vegetable garden !!!

by pi-r » 08/06/21, 18:57

the cinquefoil has a sacred "carrot" as a root which is difficult to exhaust .... in any case significantly more than the runners it produces!
Personally, I had to go and fetch them with a fork-to-tailer to really exercise significant control ...
0 x
Annanjou
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Annanjou » 11/06/21, 12:27

Indeed Pi-r, but no spade fork for me. I apply the lazy theory that I have read well and made it my own! In fact it is not very difficult to have since it is rooted under the hay. What is annoying is that it spreads a lot, but either I tear it off when I walk past it or it disturbs one of my plants, or I stick hay on it and I would wear it out. ... and in the end it will be like dandelions because I hardly see any more.
0 x
Annanjou
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Annanjou » 22/07/21, 15:22

Hello friends,
Well, here it is: like everyone else, I caught the mildew but I ask myself a question: everyone says that you have to pull up the plants and clean everything well (there are even some who recommend alcohol! ) except that ...
In my meadow, which has just been mown once a year for over 20 years, how did this mildew come about? He must have come by the wind? So what's the use of psychotting everything to disinfect everything to avoid mildew for next year if this year it has come by itself?
I told myself that the hot weather (which should happen anyway) should overcome the last remains of mildew (ah laziness, when you hold us! : Lol: ). Anyway, I could never "clean" the hay?
Your advice and advice?
Thank you!
And while I'm at it, what do I do with my potato plants, which are also starting to look gloomy?
Thanks again !
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 22/07/21, 18:21

Regarding the potatoes: mine are ripe now and have suffered a slight attack. Being at the end of the course, I do nothing. Having not attacked voles for over a year, I left them in place under hay, having no fresh basement.
For the tomatoes: I treat as best I can with baking soda, and I remove the affected parts. Never having been a follower of abuse of Bordeaux mixture or other product, I have always done like that, fight a little to contain the spread, nothing more. When the following years were ripe for late blight, I did the same in the following years. When the following years were not conducive to mildew, I was even quieter. I have never disinfected anything with alcohol or bleach. I never burned my infected tomato debris. I've always eaten tomatoes, more or less. This year is not a good tomato year, but for me who come from far away with poor soil, I see that I have ripening tomatoes, which are beautiful as never before. So I'm already happy. I'm not saying you have to do like me, it's just my experience in my context, and I repeat, I've always had tomatoes to harvest. Even in my horrible year, where fate was hard on my husband's health in addition to the late blight on the tomatoes, and where I really did nothing at all, except plant and water, but zero treatment, zero size and even zero staking. I trust the living, and I have no more failure than my friends, who garden in the "rustica" way. That suits me perfectly.
1 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 22/07/21, 23:10

Doris wrote:
. This year is not a good tomato year

I'm still waiting a bit before making a final decision, but for the moment I have tomatoes that are at the top level, in quality and quantity, both under cover and outside.
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 22/07/21, 23:24

Annanjou wrote:
how did this mildew come about? He must have come by the wind? So what's the use of psychotting everything to disinfect everything to avoid mildew for next year if this year it has come by itself?

mildew has been present almost everywhere for a long time and dwells in the soil.
"We" talked about it on the main thread, but if you go on youtube, Didier once made an interesting video on this subject.

For potatoes, do a test by removing 2 or 3 plants. If you are satisfied with the tubers, no suspicious spots and a suitable size, I personally will take them all out.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 22/07/21, 23:43

Annanjou wrote:Indeed Pi-r, but no spade fork for me. I apply the lazy theory that I have read well and made it my own! In fact it is not very difficult to have since it is rooted under the hay. What is annoying is that it spreads a lot, but either I tear it off when I walk past it or it disturbs one of my plants, or I stick hay on it and I would wear it out. ... and in the end it will be like dandelions because I hardly see any more.

A little against the tide I bless the cinquefoil
She gives me a free ground cover and keeps the soil not only alive but cool and moist for a long time without doing anything.
1 x
Annanjou
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Annanjou » 23/07/21, 07:41

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:
Annanjou wrote:Indeed Pi-r, but no spade fork for me. I apply the lazy theory that I have read well and made it my own! In fact it is not very difficult to have since it is rooted under the hay. What is annoying is that it spreads a lot, but either I tear it off when I walk past it or it disturbs one of my plants, or I stick hay on it and I would wear it out. ... and in the end it will be like dandelions because I hardly see any more.

A little against the tide I bless the cinquefoil
She gives me a free ground cover and keeps the soil not only alive but cool and moist for a long time without doing anything.

Indeed Adrien, finally I did the same, the cinquefoil is still a little invasive but with a good thickness of hay, it is very easy to remove where it gets in the way
0 x
Annanjou
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Annanjou » 23/07/21, 09:21

Doris wrote:Regarding the potatoes: mine are ripe now and have suffered a slight attack. Being at the end of the course, I do nothing. Having not attacked voles for over a year, I left them in place under hay, having no fresh basement.
For the tomatoes: I treat as best I can with baking soda, and I remove the affected parts. Never having been a follower of abuse of Bordeaux mixture or other product, I have always done like that, fight a little to contain the spread, nothing more. When the following years were ripe for late blight, I did the same in the following years. When the following years were not conducive to mildew, I was even quieter. I have never disinfected anything with alcohol or bleach. I never burned my infected tomato debris. I've always eaten tomatoes, more or less. This year is not a good tomato year, but for me who come from far away with poor soil, I see that I have ripening tomatoes, which are beautiful as never before. So I'm already happy. I'm not saying you have to do like me, it's just my experience in my context, and I repeat, I've always had tomatoes to harvest. Even in my horrible year, where fate was hard on my husband's health in addition to the late blight on the tomatoes, and where I really did nothing at all, except plant and water, but zero treatment, zero size and even zero staking. I trust the living, and I have no more failure than my friends, who garden in the "rustica" way. That suits me perfectly.

Thank you Doris for this confirmation: disinfecting is therefore quite useless and I just threw the plants away from my vegetable garden. Mildew struck almost everywhere in France and at home in Anjou, a region with a usually mild climate, we suffered this rotten spring head-on. No Bordeaux mixture either because the past years, I have seen what it was doing on my peach: this year I left it to fend for itself and immediately after the blister, it left very strong. Next year he should be stronger.
For the potatoes, I will watch because if the weather gets very hot, it could be okay by removing the damaged parts.
For a first year in the vegetable garden, I was spoiled : Lol:
0 x
Annanjou
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Annanjou » 23/07/21, 09:27

Biobombe wrote:
Annanjou wrote:
how did this mildew come about? He must have come by the wind? So what's the use of psychotting everything to disinfect everything to avoid mildew for next year if this year it has come by itself?

mildew has been present almost everywhere for a long time and dwells in the soil.
"We" talked about it on the main thread, but if you go on youtube, Didier once made an interesting video on this subject.

For potatoes, do a test by removing 2 or 3 plants. If you are satisfied with the tubers, no suspicious spots and a suitable size, I personally will take them all out.

Whoops ! thank you Biobombe, In his books Didier does not spend too much time on mildew since he has a tunnel but I forgot to search on YT.
That's it I found the two videos and I'm going to watch them. I also probably tightened my plants a bit (beginners' mistake: as we have a lot of plants, we want to put them all and ... finally we have nothing: I remember the lesson).
I also remember that even in rotten weather (especially in rotten weather) you have to go and watch your vegetable garden: well I'm learning :? But I do not despair :)
0 x