Everything about potatoes for 2021

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Everything about potatoes for 2021

by Julienmos » 26/07/21, 13:12

it is certain that rodents (mole rats?) come out of their holes especially at night to feed.

I had observed on the beets, and last week near the celery, a "fresh" hole with leaf residue nearby.
After installing the topcat trap, I caught two. Rather a little smaller than the "normal" mole rat ...
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 26/07/21, 13:45

Julienmos wrote:it is certain that rodents (mole rats?) come out of their holes especially at night to feed.

Yes it's sure. Preferably at night, but they do it during the day too. In 2019, my horrible year, they shot me stalks of tomatoes and peppers in 30 minutes, the time to discuss something with my husband about ten meters from the vegetable garden. And a fortnight ago, our little cat was running behind a beast that I already thought from afar too big for a mouse. She had it and it was indeed a mole rat.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
jardama
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by jardama » 26/07/21, 14:13

I was looking for a perspective on late blight in potatoes. I collected very nice charlottes for the most part but when I pick them up after letting them dry, they are full of big brown spots ... well not all but a lot.
He has a lot in May and June. I think that must be the cause of the problem.

I would have to find a less sensitive variety perhaps.

Rattes: I do a little every year. Family tradition. Very good in salads, I think.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 26/07/21, 15:55

"Charlotte" is not very sensitive to mildew (leaves, tubers), but sensitive to gall (these are darker, almost black, rough patches): http://plantdepommedeterre.org/index/fi ... /charlotte

Here on the right, pictures of the symptoms of late blight on the potato (tuber): http://ephytia.inra.fr/fr/C/18370/Pomme ... -Symptomes

See also common gall: http://ephytia.inra.fr/fr/C/25443/Tropi ... e-de-terre

See the "choice" of diseases on tubers: http://ephytia.inra.fr/fr/D/7911

[By the way, not too affected by the floods ????]
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 26/07/21, 15:56

Julienmos wrote:it is certain that rodents (mole rats?) come out of their holes especially at night to feed.

I had observed on the beets, and last week near the celery, a "fresh" hole with leaf residue nearby.
After installing the topcat trap, I caught two. Rather a little smaller than the "normal" mole rat ...

Me, it was calm. And suddenly, it digs in all directions!
0 x
jardama
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by jardama » 26/07/21, 16:20

I did not take pictures. it looks more like mildew. It's not the first time it's done this. next year, I will change varieties.
The mole rats ate me a few but not too much. On the other hand, I'm going to 100 leeks, there are hardly any left. luckily, I put some in another part of the garden ... hoping they couldn't find them !!
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 26/07/21, 16:21

Did67 wrote:[By the way, not too affected by the floods ????]

I do !

yesterday in my absence, huge stormy downpour and a little water in my cellar, the neighbor ditto!

and again rain in the evening ... so the foliage of the tomatoes wet all night ... a miracle if I don't catch the mildew this time, I said to myself ... especially as the neighbor (and the neighbor neighbor) have caught it well ...

well no, still not really mildew at home !!! crazy that ...
the "fault" with a more lively soil?
Or to tomato plants that are widely spaced because they are scattered around the garden?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 26/07/21, 18:05

jardama wrote:
The mole rats ate me a few but not too much. On the other hand, I'm going to 100 leeks, there are hardly any left. luckily I put some in another part of the garden ... hoping they can't find them !!

Target your trapping in this place: there, you can cause a misfortune ... On several occasions, when they attacked "rows" (celery, beets, carrots ...), a little spotting of galleries, and hop, you set up a trap that strikes up to 2 or 3 times a day ... It is a family that is at work. Chance ? On two occasions, I caught 7 (exactly), each time in the same hole ... And then nothing!

A mistake that I no longer make: when for 2 or 3 days, I no longer catch anything, I remove the trap. Because on two occasions always, leaving the trap for "safety", after 8 to 10 days, I nab ... a mole.

The two species share the galleries. The moles dig, are hunted by the mole rats which "squat". Once the mole rats are eradicated, the moles return. There is no point in trapping them, because if they eat a few worms, they do the work of aeration and production of "fine earth" ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 26/07/21, 18:11

Julienmos wrote:[

yesterday in my absence, huge stormy downpour and a little water in my cellar, the neighbor ditto!

and again rain in the evening ... so the foliage of the tomatoes wet all night ... a miracle if I don't catch the mildew this time, I said to myself ... especially as the neighbor (and the neighbor neighbor) have caught it well ...

well no, still not really mildew at home !!! crazy that ...
the "fault" with a more lively soil?
Or to tomato plants that are widely spaced because they are scattered around the garden?

I had pretty much the same, but less violent. And each month, before being flooded on my slope, 95% of the Alsatian population is drowned!

At home, there is now mildew. I try to control or limit the breakage (potassium bicarbonate alternating with "Frutogard" - professional product not found in France; it is an extract of algae with potassium phosphonate I believe - and then elicitors: lecithins - I did not find Chitosan, yet now on sale for individuals - and Bacillus subtilis) ... But apart from the tunnel, you have to go between thunderstorms to apply the products!
0 x
jardama
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by jardama » 26/07/21, 20:43

I have never tried putting potassium bicarbonate. is it easy to find?
0 x