Are "forest gardens" the future of our vegetable gardens?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Are "forest gardens" the future of our vegetable gardens?

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 11/07/20, 11:17

Ahmed wrote:It is however easy to get BRF and Faux BRF since very large quantities of branches end up in composting, via recycling centers ... You just have to short-circuit the evacuation chain a little. As for nitrogen hunger, on the one hand it does not concern all plants, on the other hand if the BRF is extended to the right period, it serves as a nitrate sponge and everything is in order when sowing , plant.

Easy in theory yes ...
But in practice.

For the hunger of nitrogen the viewing of these videos and the discussions that we had in the subject of the PP are a bit far but it seemed to me that it was not as fast as that.

The young branches you have in the spring.
Is it time to use them?
In the fall, did they keep all their “potential”?
Open questions because I do not and will not use BRF neither true nor false
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 11/07/20, 12:08

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:

it is in spring that young twigs grow on trees, yes OK ...
but the BRF is made (with these same young branches) in autumn-winter, when they have lost their leaves and bear new buds.

For me after a few experiences, I no longer put BRF on vegetables, but only still under mulberries, raspberries, strawberries. etc
and earthworms, which are particularly active in this ground material (I don't know why) quickly cover everything with turricules ...
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 11/07/20, 12:26

Julienmos wrote:
Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:

it is in spring that young twigs grow on trees, yes OK ...
but the BRF is made (with these same young branches) in autumn-winter, when they have lost their leaves and bear new buds.

For me after a few experiences, I no longer put BRF on vegetables, but only still under mulberries, raspberries, strawberries. etc
and earthworms, which are particularly active in this ground material (I don't know why) quickly cover everything with turricules ...

Ok
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 11/07/20, 12:29

Adrien, you ask yourself:
Easy in theory yes ... But in practice?

I arrive there without problem: the neighbors are very happy to give me their branches ...
As for the rest, Julienmos answered perfectly: we speak of "young" branches to designate twigs (raméal), so no big branches ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 11/07/20, 12:42

Ahmed wrote:Adrien, you ask yourself:
Easy in theory yes ... But in practice?

I arrive there without problem: the neighbors are very happy to give me their branches ...
As for the rest, Julienmos answered perfectly: we speak of "young" branches to designate twigs (raméal), so no big branches ...

Yes anyway what will be easy for one can be complicated for the other whether it is manure, hay or BRF.

It remains to be seen whether use is possible on more than 2 ha with the stock of trees provided for in its planning.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 11/07/20, 12:48

Regarding the BRF, it can be difficult depending on the location, but if you use branches that you can transform yourself, then the resource is very vast. I can also easily get manure (I'm not interested) and free hay: there is always some available, provided you have a good knowledge of the land and its inhabitants ..., you also need transportation or find local accommodations.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 11/07/20, 16:20

Being in no way interested in the BRF I still had a few memories and in particular that the incorporation was not desirable or it seems to me that he is talking about burying it in one or the other video. ...

Ditto for the use rather punctual than regular but I think that Mulet also said it in one of his old videos: it is rather the dose at the start and full stop.
Even if it would be interesting to see regular use every year: is that what you do Ahmed?

Ditto for the surfaces ... the 2ha of his project that starts to make a sacred surface and 5cm on 2ha a sacred volume.

Ditto for the rarity even if you find it easily you Ahmed.

Same for fashion

Confirmation on all these aspects in this video of the Bourguignon which is already 6 years old.

I try to follow all of the videos from MSV or VDTP and it seems to me that it is no longer too topical: without my knowing why.

Take an anecdote the Canadians and Professor Lemieux in mind had come "to do an internship" at Jean Pain before becoming the more or less official "inventors" of this technique ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 11/07/20, 18:01

Adrien, you say:
Well, an anecdote, the Canadians and Professor Lemieux in mind had come "to do an internship" at Jean Pain before becoming the more or less official "inventors" of this technique ...

Do you have any details on this fact?
BRF, I use it in various ways and, frankly, a little to all sauces. Where it is systematic, it is in strawberries and potatoes, but elsewhere I use it alternately or complement hay, without great methodology (except to be careful that I sow or plant in massively BRFées beds ...). For beans and peas, no worries, but for the rest I never saw any big concerns because I respect the dates of use of the real BRF and I do not incorporate it. Between hay and BRF, I also use false BRF, that is to say hedge pruning in green which has an intermediate C / N located rather at the bottom of the scale (many leaves and very small little lignified branches).
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 11/07/20, 20:07

Ahmed wrote:BRF, I use it in various ways and, frankly, a little to all sauces. Where it is systematic, it is in strawberries and potatoes.

BRF is certainly interesting for humic substances, but even if it does not really create hunger (nitrogen) it is still surely less "rich" and balanced than hay, and knowing that potatoes are quite greedy in nutrients ...
do you have a good harvest with that? unless you bring additional fertilization?
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 11/07/20, 20:39

Ahmed wrote:Adrien, you say:
Well, an anecdote, the Canadians and Professor Lemieux in mind had come "to do an internship" at Jean Pain before becoming the more or less official "inventors" of this technique ...

Do you have any details on this fact?

It is related on the site of Jean Pain

Jean PAIN Methods, BRF
https://www.jean-pain.com/compost-jean-pain-et-brf.php

Originally, mandated by the (vice) minister of Canadian agriculture, Professor Lemieux of the University of LAVAL (Quebec) came to meet Jean PAIN to learn the ins and outs of this very effective particular method ...
Professor Lemieux wanted to "simplify" the process of making "Brush Compost" by dispensing with fermentation in heaps.

We’re talking about that too

FRAMEWOOD RAMEAL
Conference on BRF (Bois Raméal Fragmenté)
Jean PAIN method
by Mr. Etienne BONVALLET, Jean PAIN team, during the general meeting of February 10, 2007
at the town hall of Pers-en-Gâtinais

https://pommes-bocage-gatinais.pagesper ... illage.htm

The method of composting plants developed by Jean PAIN and the "philosophy" of the systematic and artificial reproduction of forest fertility on agricultural soils will soon interest researchers; it is Professor Gilles LEMIEUX, from the University of LAVAL in Canada, who comes to France to study Jean PAIN's method and who wants to shorten the time it takes to make the product available, by eliminating the fermentation period. This practice is simple, requires little funding and, yet, only chance seems to have initiated its discovery. Jean PAIN reproduced, in fact, with his method, the "technique" of the forest.

From there was born the BRF After observations, Professor LEMIEUX and his colleagues realize that an optimal functioning consists in using only wood less than 7 centimeters in diameter, and preferably white wood not containing tannin .

By looking a little we find elsewhere Jean Pain everywhere like this "Jean Pain Madagascar Committee" (CJPM)
http://www.fao.org/3/XII/0270-B3.htm

And for Jean Pain's book

https://potagers.forumactif.com/t178-li ... tre-jardin
0 x