Plant trees for the climate

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Planting trees for the climate

by izentrop » 02/02/20, 01:57

Courrier International, in general these are verified information and I don't trust the press too much under Erdogan's orders. Wait for more info.

And then why epiceas when we know they will not resist RC https://www.leprogres.fr/ain-01/2019/05 ... nos-forets

Another news that does not go in this direction Tropical forests release twice as much CO2 as they absorb

Must stop with false hopes and act effectively, rather than operetta scoops.
0 x
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 02/02/20, 02:51

izentrop wrote:Courrier International, in general these are verified information and I don't trust the press too much under Erdogan's orders. Wait for more info.

It is politics, therefore, by default, we cannot trust either Erdogan or his opponents.
And for my part, I don't trust Courrier International either.
izentrop wrote:And then why epiceas when we know they will not resist RC https://www.leprogres.fr/ain-01/2019/05 ... nos-forets

I imagine that they put species adapted to the local climate, like the eastern spruce.
Spruces planted in France are attacked by bark beetles because they suffer from climatic conditions that do not suit them (heat and drought).
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89pic ... d%27Orient
izentrop wrote:Another news that does not go in this direction Tropical forests release twice as much CO2 as they absorb

Yes, of course, if there is deforestation, it releases carbon.
0 x
sam17
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by sam17 » 02/02/20, 10:14

I think that to reason only in terms of absorbed or released CO2 is similar to looking at a landscape with eyes.
A forest is not just a well or a carbon emitter. It is an ecosystem that has many other effects.

The one that comes to me first is its ability to absorb solar energy. Another is its ability to self maintain a wetter climate. In addition, we can add the contribution to vegetable soils.

In short, CO2 is like GDP. It is an indicator of economists completely blocked.
1 x
--
Patience is a tree whose root is bitter, and whose fruits are very sweet.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 02/02/20, 10:48

Another is its ability to self maintain a wetter climate.

Wetter and colder, colder in terms of annual average, but also punctual: during this scorching summer, it was still possible to walk in the forest with bearable temperatures and welcome shade. Fortunately, there was no fire, because under the conditions we have known, it would have taken on unusual proportions ...
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Planting trees last summer: for the climate

by moinsdewatt » 02/02/20, 11:12

From last summer:

Ethiopia breaks tree planting record with more than 350 million trees in one day

Thomas Boisson August 2, 2019

The Ethiopian government has announced a truly extraordinary record, claiming that the country's citizens have managed to plant 353 million trees in 12 hours, exceeding the original target of 200 million trees. The previous record for a single country was 66 million, that of India, a country three times larger and 13 times more populated.

Restore Ethiopian forest cover and its ecosystems
However, the project also had local motivations. An environmental census carried out a few years ago revealed that only 4% of Ethiopia was covered with forest. At the start of the 20th century, it was 35%. This loss has contributed to erosion and desertification, made droughts and floods more extreme, and deprived endangered species of their habitats. Deforestation contributed to the terrible famine of the 1980s.

Ethiopia has experienced some of the fastest economic benefits in recent years, while advancing in the area of ​​human rights, but ethnic tensions have increased with the flight of almost a million people from their homes. home for fear of violence. The government has set a goal of planting 4 billion trees this season and says it has already reached more than half of that goal.

https://trustmyscience.com/ethiopie-pla ... seul-jour/
0 x
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 02/02/20, 11:55

Ahmed wrote:Fortunately, there was no fire, because under the conditions we have known, it would have taken on unusual proportions ...

Yes, the problem with forests is fires, the risk of which will have to be managed.
Note that I am not in favor of burns, I find that it is a mess.
I would prefer that the drills be exploited on bands.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 02/02/20, 11:57

sam17 wrote:In short, CO2 is like GDP. It is an indicator of economists completely blocked.
Climatologist, especially for CO2
it's its ability to self maintain a wetter climate.
Not with an excessive greenhouse effect like it already started.

As Ahmed says, it is cooler under the trees, thanks to the evapotranspiration of the foliage, much less in a fir forest and in periods of drought.

When to their action on the climate, that contributes a little on the tropical primary forests: the famous "flying river" doomed to disappear and it is already started https://forestsnews.cifor.org/26698/la- ... ets?fnl=fr
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 09/02/20, 01:30

A whale stores more carbon in its life than thousands of trees https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/095396-00 ... 8-minutes/
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 09/02/20, 12:15

Let's plant whales! :D
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert