Fight effectively against slugs!

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: Fight effectively against slugs!

by Did67 » 02/06/19, 09:03

VetusLignum wrote:
I'll tell you what happened to me.
Friday evening, I will plant 1 zucchini plant, 1 pumpkin plant, and 2 tomato plants.
The tomato plants were put deep enough (because I bury the stem), and I place around my plants a cut cylinder on a 2-liter plastic water bottle, to protect the plant. I put a few granules of ferric phosphate (Slug Clear Extra brand) around the plant.
Saturday morning, I find my 2 tomato plants and the pumpkin plant uprooted. One of the tomato plants was several inches away.
The plastic cylinder had not moved, but inside it was clean, and there was no longer a ferric phosphate granule.
This is the reason why I think that some birds (I think of crows, because it still needed strength to dig up my plants) love them.
I also noticed that my granules disappeared very quickly.
But maybe it's just a bad brand?

I have plants uprooted. At home, it's robins. I did not observe crows (or crows?).

I have not observed consumption of Ferramol set a fortnight ago - I mean, I have not taken the time to observe. Because the disappearance can be the fact of the slugs, which consume Ferramol, then "bury themselves" to starve (this blocks their gastric system). Anyway, I still have so many "shits" with blackbirds - I don't know if they're the same ???

I think that if there is a mortality linked to Ferramol we will soon hear about it from the side of the LPO?
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 02/06/19, 19:36

Did67 wrote:
VetusLignum wrote:
Friday evening, I will plant 1 zucchini plant, 1 pumpkin plant, and 2 tomato plants.
The tomato plants were put deep enough (because I bury the stem), and I place around my plants a cut cylinder on a 2-liter plastic water bottle, to protect the plant. I put a few granules of ferric phosphate (Slug Clear Extra brand) around the plant.
Saturday morning, I find my 2 tomato plants and the pumpkin plant uprooted. One of the tomato plants was several inches away.
The plastic cylinder had not moved, but inside it was clean, and there was no longer a ferric phosphate granule.
This is the reason why I think that some birds (I think of crows, because it still needed strength to dig up my plants) love them.

I have plants uprooted. At home, it's robins. I did not observe crows (or crows?).
I have not observed consumption of Ferramol set a fortnight ago - I mean, I have not taken the time to observe. Because the disappearance can be the fact of the slugs, which consume Ferramol, then "bury themselves" to starve (this blocks their gastric system). Anyway, I still have so many "shits" with blackbirds - I don't know if they're the same ???

I think that if there is a mortality linked to Ferramol we will soon hear about it from the side of the LPO?

if there is currently a blackbird mortality it is due to a virus, which actually worries the LPO
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 02/06/19, 22:01

I had observed that last year, where I was little bothered. But there, they catch up and dig up seeds that start to germinate under the frames or in the greenhouse !!! The survivors are doubly active!
0 x
SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by SixK » 02/06/19, 23:06

To protect young planes, the only effective solution for me,
it is to go with a flashlight every evening after dark (at least for 1 week) to transfer the largest specimen of slugs and snails.
The little ones do not shave a stem in one night.

The technique of the wooden board must also work well to fire the day come those who would have missed in the night.

SixK
0 x
Optimists invented airplanes, parachutes pessimistic. George Bernard Shaw.
Thought personal, I understand better why the big bosses invented the golden parachute.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 02/06/19, 23:43

Did67 wrote:I had observed that last year, where I was little bothered. But there, they catch up and dig up seeds that start to germinate under the frames or in the greenhouse !!! The survivors are doubly active!

They go into the greenhouse ???

Ah cats, cats, cats : Mrgreen:
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 02/06/19, 23:44

I'm going to ramble again but collar: 100% effective ...

But hey I think I will say it again : Mrgreen:
1 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 03/06/19, 01:33

SixK wrote:To protect young planes, the only effective solution for me,
it is to go with a flashlight every evening after dark (at least for 1 week) to transfer the largest specimen of slugs and snails.
The little ones do not shave a stem in one night.
It may be true, however I remember reading that over time small slugs could do more damage than large ones. A story of quantity of "meals" or of how to eat ... To be verified ..
1 x
SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by SixK » 03/06/19, 23:00

The important thing is that the plant can survive the night.
With adult snails or slugs, freshly planted plants can be shaved at the base.
The first night is particularly critical because the plant is weakened. Soft and tender leaves and stems. Everything that gastropods love.
After a week, the plan is generally strong enough not to be shaved overnight. It allows you to take action in the event of an attack. Personally, I put back in a pot a chili plan that I managed to keep all winter and that I had planted in the ground 2/3 weeks earlier. The gastropods began to like its leaves and the peppers too much.
I'll wait for it to redo the leaf before putting it back in the ground.

SixK
0 x
Optimists invented airplanes, parachutes pessimistic. George Bernard Shaw.

Thought personal, I understand better why the big bosses invented the golden parachute.
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 04/06/19, 01:38

Did67 wrote:
VetusLignum wrote:

I confirm that it is ferramol that interests them.
I gave some, but a little further from the plants; the next day, the plants were still there, but there was no more ferramol.
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 04/06/19, 08:27

VetusLignum wrote:I confirm that it is ferramol that interests them.
Birds or slugs?
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"