Creation and maintenance of an orchard

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Creation and maintenance of an orchard.

by sicetaitsimple » 30/11/17, 21:04

Did67 wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:
So it's weird, because you have to send an email to then (if I understood correctly) to receive a subscription offer. Is there a morality inquiry between the two? Well, I recommended myself in the "comment" box of the form of a certain DH, I hope that will boost me!

All this is a mixture of modernity (some young members, bordering on the geek) and good old tradition, with accounts kept with notebooks and a pen (the treasurer).

In addition, locally, this goes through a pyramidal associative structure: local associations, then departmental then regional. So in fact the members are subscribed through their affiliation to a local association. You, you will be an "isolated" - that is planned. There are even a few copies that go abroad.

If there is a problem, you tell me about it and I will forward it to the right.

Well, the moral investigation must be in progress because I have not received anything so far ......
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Creation and maintenance of an orchard

by sicetaitsimple » 30/11/17, 23:26

denis17 wrote:The 4 special season of the organic garden, my orchard in permaculture, gives the name of good nursery to consult in every major region, even for the mountain. I'll be watching tonight if any of you need an address.

Thank you very much, I went to buy it and even if for now I have only leafed through it seems very interesting to me.

So, to return to my project (see page 1 of this thread), I received today the proposal from my nurseryman. It lacks some details on the varieties in each family (we will discuss it again on the basis of this first proposal), but to my surprise:

- on the one hand, it increased the pitch between the trees, going from 5m (which was my basic sketch, I remind you that, with some exceptions, I only want low stems) to 6m, evoking the penetration of light and traffic for maintenance. Result of course it potentially sells fewer trees ....
- On the other hand she made me an unsolicited proposal for an option with planting a hedge, really inexpensive, attaching to me the following comment that she herself said to have copied:

[i] [i] [i] What are the trees and shrubs used for?

The flying auxiliaries necessary to control populations of pests such as lacewings, syrphids, parasitoids, or even predatory bugs need strictly or mixed nectar and pollen to be able to reproduce. In general, auxiliaries (carabines, staphylins, etc.) need plants as shelters. Trees can also serve as host plants for alternative prey. For example, lacewings rest during the day under the leaves of trees, feed on pollen and nectar from hedge flowers in spring as adults, and the larvae can feed on alternative prey such as hazel aphids. Plants are thus sources of food but also serve as sites for rest, wintering, etc. It is therefore essential to have a diversity of plants near the crops to obtain auxiliaries in diversity and in sufficient quantities to control pest populations. When trees and shrubs are planted in the form of hedges, they can also serve as an ecological corridor, that is to say a protective and feeder corridor, facilitating the movement of auxiliaries.

How to maintain them? It is best to prune in the fall at 1.2m / 1.5m, in September-October, when the birds no longer nest and the auxiliary insects are not yet all in the wintering sites. To reinforce the role of hedges, it is interesting to leave a selvedge, that is to say a grassy strip, spontaneous if possible, of 50 cm to 2m along the trees and shrubs. The hedge thus has three plant layers which strengthens the reservoir area, thus offering more flowering plants for adults, if however they are allowed to bloom (see sheet "spontaneous flora")
[/ I] [/ i]

- [/ i]

There are still real pros who want your project to have the best chance of succeeding even if they potentially sell less, it's nice! And there it is a nursery established for about 50 years, I do not think they offer me exotic things that have no chance of giving something in my climate.

We will necessarily do business.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 01/12/17, 10:37

Ah yes. There, it's "pro"! In addition "sensitized on ecosystems". It is still rare.

Jump on the opportunity (I was going to write the nurseryman - but I realize that it was ambiguous).

You may just have to give it "objectives": spread out the productions, limit the risk of frost, preferences for resistant varieties (note: often "modern" selections) or cider apples, pie apples, etc. ... It would surprise me that she does not know the varieties that she plays.

AND as for machine tools, you will not regret the possible additional cost (although ... we sometimes have good surprises!)
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 01/12/17, 12:02

Did67 wrote:Jump on the opportunity (I was going to write the nurseryman - but I realize that it was ambiguous).

Be careful Didier, a post like this these days can get you in trouble!

And you won't get away with arguing that I wrote that "she made me an unsolicited offer"!

Well, more seriously, she offers me in the quarantine of trees two medlar trees. I looked on the net, it tells me what it looks like, but it doesn't tell me what it tastes like! Anyone know? Its good?
0 x
bobbysolo67
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by bobbysolo67 » 01/12/17, 12:20

0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 01/12/17, 12:40

Did67 wrote:You may just have to give it "objectives": spread out the productions, limit the risk of frost, preferences for resistant varieties (note: often "modern" selections) or cider apples, pie apples, etc. ... It would surprise me that she does not know the varieties that she plays.

AND as for machine tools, you will not regret the possible additional cost (although ... we sometimes have good surprises!)

Yes yes, it is in terms of objectives that I posed the problem to him, at no time have I (for the moment) said "I want this or that variety" or "I want so many apple trees" .

In its basic proposal, there are 15 apple trees, 6 pear trees, 6 cherry trees, 9 diverse and varied plum trees including mirabelle plums, 3 peach trees, 2 apricot trees, 2 medlar trees, 2 quince trees, 45 trees in all.

I think to add (or replace with) 1 or 2 fig trees, we planted one 3 years ago and it even gives in Normandy.

Your reactions, comments, suggestions are welcome.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 01/12/17, 12:43

I have a quince tree, which produces a lot ... And despite "fruit jellies" etc ... we don't know what to do with it ...

A curiosity that I do not have but which interests me: the asiminier or paw-paw, a sort of rustic "mango" ... Not always easy to find. I have an address of a nursery on the side of Rostok in northern Germany. A fan. It is sure that it will resist with you! It ships all over Europe ...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 01/12/17, 13:56

Did67 wrote:A curiosity that I do not have but which interests me: the asiminier or paw-paw, a sort of rustic "mango" ... Not always easy to find. I have an address of a nursery on the side of Rostok in northern Germany. A fan. It is sure that it will resist with you! It ships all over Europe ...

I did not know, but it is interesting indeed. She doesn't have that in the "catalog", in fact they produce on two locations, one here (in Lower Normandy) and the other in Anjou.
But she clarified to me that if I wanted a particular variety not available with them, it was always possible for her to order from a colleague.
It will inevitably be a little more expensive, especially since according to my first research it would be a tree that does not sell bare roots.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 01/12/17, 14:18

I need to find the address of this German nursery ... Today, very booked: I am waiting for a call from my editor, I have an appointment and I follow up with a conf ... If I zap, you know the song, you have to revive me!

I'll tell you.

And possibly, I see if you are interested, how I order for you from them (I speak fluent German).
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 01/12/17, 14:26

View:

Filmed early September - age 3. "Prima" and "Sunflower" are varieties.
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"