Creation and maintenance of an orchard

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Creation and maintenance of an orchard

by sicetaitsimple » 26/11/17, 22:23

Ahmed wrote:Sicetaitsimple, you write:
PS: beekeeping would tempt me, but I don't like honey!

If you like bees, that's enough! It will be much less work and the bees do not appreciate that much competition from other honey lovers ... : Wink:

It happens occasionally (on other sons) to exchange a little on our vision of the world and generally we part quickly and certainly not of agreement on the bottom but good friends, by avoiding any absolutely useless glare.

One more time then! If I ever started beekeeping, it wouldn't be for the bees to take it easy! Even if personally I don't like honey!

Kind regards.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Creation and maintenance of an orchard.

by sicetaitsimple » 26/11/17, 22:27

Did67 wrote: You will be an "isolated" - this is planned. There are even a few copies that go abroad.

Suddenly a fleeting sensation of refugee status!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 26/11/17, 22:30

sicetaitsimple wrote:

Come on, go for "trapper". It's more glorious!
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 26/11/17, 22:44

Did67 wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:

Okay, I was kidding! I understand that this kind of regional publication, if I understood correctly, the work of volunteer editors, is still a little "behind." But on your initial screenshot, we had an "add to cart" box, hence my surprise when I tried to subscribe on the official site.
I will keep you posted if it does not work or if I have to produce your proofs of phenocultural morality with honorary witnesses.
You can discuss this surprise at your next meeting.
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 26/11/17, 22:46

Sicetaitsimple,

The orchard of which we see ends on the wire a kitchen garden of the lazy one we from time to time was established every 6 or 7m. The agroforestry of the time, The orchards being grazed there was room and light for what remains of meadow.
The second orchard is in fact only a line, in a Near exploited, every three meters, bought at the scion or half-stem stage, I should be able to plant 15.

An ex-president of a local association of apple-eaters surrounded is on the ground every meter to multiply the Varietes.

I also know a hedge-pruning quetschier hedge that produces fruit outside that is too easy to pick.

For me the real question at the implantation is:
Multiply the Varieties and decrease the quantities of each, which in turn secures a certain production, or vice versa, for a larger production to be transformed.

I chose to vary for staggered harvests, taking risks with fig trees for example, not really suitable.
My really difficult terrain does not facilitate success, an orchard established after (at least 1 year) a few hundred meters in the open ground with much better developed trees. In a nourishing goal and with the alternation it should allow to guarantee a minimum of harvests.
I also realized that we must leave room for what we do not yet know, especially for addicts of plant fairs.

Olivier
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 26/11/17, 22:49

sicetaitsimple wrote:
Did67 wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:

Okay, I was kidding! I understand that this kind of regional publication, if I understood correctly, the work of volunteer editors, is still a little "behind." But on your initial screenshot, we had an "add to cart" box, hence my surprise when I tried to subscribe on the official site.
I will keep you posted if it does not work or if I have to produce your proofs of phenocultural morality with honorary witnesses.
You can discuss this surprise at your next meeting.

Having said that, maybe there is a need to open a "beekeeping" thread even if I have not yet spotted (unless I am mistaken) on the main thread of experienced beekeepers.

While waiting for my initial question (to group the varieties in an orchard or on the contrary the variegation) was drowned ..... I raise it therefore.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 26/11/17, 23:17

olivier75 wrote:
For me the real question at the implantation is:
Multiply the Varieties and decrease the quantities of each, which in turn secures a certain production, or vice versa, for a larger production to be transformed.

Very clearly I follow the same logic. On what should be about 50 trees, I don't think I'll put more than two of the same variety. And of course in the same "family" (apples, pears, ...) to have the most staggered possible production and also different storage times. My nurseryman will offer me something, on the basis of these "specifications". He seems serious to me, has been established locally for more than XNUMX years, not really for reasons that he does not imagine anything, well I think.

Here I do what seems to me the most "urgent", to plant this winter, we will then see for the hedges.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/11/17, 08:49

Group varieties or species ?????

As said, I am not an expert. But logical reflection would lead me to this:

a) According to the species, there is interest in having in the same orchard, different varieties of the same species; some are known to be good pollinators; and even, such a variety can be the pollinator of such another ... There are tables on the internet. A good nurseryman should know that. But more and more, they are sellers of potted trees, especially in garden centers and are not always able to advise.

That at least is clear.

b) Bees and bumblebees "work" on perimeters of a few kilometers.

However, they tend to go from one tree to the next tree ... So it seems to me that they are more likely to pollinate an apple tree X from the pollen of an apple tree Y if they are contiguous. If in the meantime they pass over pear, quetschier, mirabelle plum trees, that seems less favorable to me ...

c) The "biodiversity" effect on the main "parasites" seems to me to be quite illusory. Codling moth will find apple tree Y from apple tree X even if there is a cherry tree in between. I think there is a lot of "internetic" exaggeration here on the part of permaculture dreamers. We have to come to terms with the idea that a lambda parasite of such a plant has the sensors it needs to spot it (color? Smell? Gas?). Otherwise, he would be long gone. A Colorado beetle spots the potatoes. An aphid beans rich in nitrogen. And a ladybug the aphids! I would be inclined to think (but this is only a conviction) that the codling moth (for example) is just as well "equipped" to spot an apple tree! I can't imagine it being so poorly designed to be fooled by a cherry tree on the way!

Conclusion of my speculation (that's just it, linked to my way of "seeing the living"):

- to have multiple varieties for each species: absolutely (also so that one escapes the frosts early, the other one with the late frosts)
- by zones, grouping varieties of the same species seems to me favorable to pollination; theoretically, this should favor parasitism (but we can also doubt it)
- the opposite will work too !!! And it is not even certain that the difference is measurable!
- in any case, we will have to consider a "soft" fight against parasitism, as soon as we bring together so many fruit trees in such a small space - traps, auxiliaries ...
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 27/11/17, 09:01

Hello,
There is the case of the hazelnut tree which is pollinated more by the wind, so to be a little more careful.
Otherwise I tried at the beginning with the more difficult and less common pear trees in my limestone environment, the next ones will only be chosen on the other criteria, taste, maturity, etc.
In reality, I think that in a place that is not monoculture, pollination is not a problem.

Olivier.
2 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/11/17, 11:43

sicetaitsimple wrote:
of regional publication, if I understood correctly, the work of volunteer editors, which is still a little "behind".

Absolutely. It is totally "associative", and based on volunteering. We have a little coordination meeting (who plans to publish what?) And a good meal every 6 months. Volunteering needs its little "engines" ...

This still draws 16 or 17 copies, which is far from being ridiculous!
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"