Ulm and light aircraft of the future

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Other
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 16/03/09, 19:33

Hello

In aviation, more than on land, weight is the enemy.

the motto of Daniel Dalby, designer of the Pouchel is "Build seriously and fly carefully". The only concession, of size to the empty mass is the assembly of the pyrotechnic reserve parachute ...

I agree that weight is important in the construction of an aircraft, but the search for the minimum weight at a price first in exotic materials, steel 4130 aluminum 2024T3, carbon fiber, resin expoxie, fiber oriented
nothing but the engine mount if made from a 4130 thin tube, an expert is needed to weld it, while in amateur construction the designer has grown to fill the welder's lack of expertise (not aviaton)
there is also the lifespan and the aging, an airplane must be still sufficiently solid after 10 years or 2000 hours of flight.

Now it's all very well to cut back on the structural weight, but let me explain why we carry a structural parachute in these planes (while this weight could be lifted rather in the reinforcement of the longitudinal members or structural) since c is that what a parchute is for? when the structure breaks, not for an engine failure.
Why don't we see a structural parachute in the Piper J3 or the D112 or the Cessan 150? however they are not much heavier. (it is when we hear a wing of J3 has torn off? even we make him loops and tight turns repeatedly.
However, these cuckoos are 50 years old.

As for performance, most of the planes that I have flown alone on board or in pairs
With the two motorized sub in the taxiing difference is minimal, the climb rate is felt up to 50% less on some aircraft, the cruising speed or maximum speed practically no difference.
structural resistance G decreases rapidly with load

Andre
0 x
vtajmb
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by vtajmb » 16/03/09, 20:32

Thank you Michel for the encouragement.
Like any human work, the plane, at the time of its conception is a choice. A designer, now deceased, summed up the expectations of amateur aircraft manufacturers as follows:
- four-seater (have you ever seen a single or two-seater family car?)
- simplified construction
- takes off and lands on a soccer field
- flies at 250 km / h while cruising (the Sicilian Record of Robin planes gave ideas)
- aerobatic ability (we were at the end of the great Stampe era, and Cap 10 was hatching)
- Volkswagen engine, easy to maintain by the local mechanic (the Beetle was still sold)
- consumption 8 l / hour

Do not dream. The Pouchel has nothing to do with an MCR or the superb reinforced Jodel for André's bush.

The materials of the Pouchel? 6060 aluminum! given the low carrying capacity and the guying, this is comfortable. Besides, it's not expensive.

Welding of the motor support? no welding ... just two cross members mounted on the "fuselage" via silent blocks.

Aging? if wear or hard landing, given the price, the faulty part will be redone. it is not a flying 4x4, just a recreational vehicle, quick to build, inexpensive to buy and use. We fly when time is flying. 2000 flight hours? most hobbyists fly less than 50 hours a year = 40 years!

Structural weight? it is calculated for its use by teachers of the aeronautical world. No breakage to date is not done for aerobatics.

Parachute? collision in flight, piloting problem, or other unforeseen ... Those who were saved by the parachute do not dispute its usefulness. Very modern planes (Cirrus for example) are equipped with it

Light and relatively slow, the Pouchel takes off very short and climbs very well ... Just go to youtube and type pouchel to realize it.
0 x
JMB
Michel Kieffer
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Michel Kieffer » 09/05/09, 16:05

Optimization…

Here is finally the paper model of our plane (see part " Aviation " of the site http://cocyane.com)

The aerodynamics are optimum and tested in the wind tunnel. In particular, you will note the virtual absence of risks of aerodynamic detachments which are very costly in drag and therefore in consumption, the median position of the wing authorized by the rear wing, itself made possible by the low mass of the engine…

Note that the total mass of the machine is less than 240 kg all inclusive except petrol, cards and crew ... and this with surprising resistance (tons of calculations and tests) given the extreme lightness of the machine.

Good flights : Cheesy: !

Michel
0 x
Michel Kieffer
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Michel Kieffer » 07/08/09, 23:02

New aircraft document

Here is a document which aims to give relevant selection criteria to buyers of ULM or LSA type recreational aircraft http://cocyane.chez-alice.fr/aeronautique.html

Good reading

Michel
0 x
Michel Kieffer
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Michel Kieffer » 09/08/09, 11:50

Details on photovoltaic aircraft and solar flight

The electric plane requires being able to fly with derisory powers totally incompatible with the traversable distance, the payload and the speed of a traditional plane… even optimized (consumption / 3) like ours.

Even imagining photovoltaic yields of 100% (!?), This physical impossibility is total for our airliners (see pages 13 to 15 BD "fossil energy, alternatives and illusions" http://cocyane.chez-alice.fr/energie.html).

On the other hand, for drones, such a motorization certainly presents an interest: low payload / total mass and problematic resistance of the materials being able to be less constraining / transport of people.

Note that for our recreational aircraft, we can perform solar flight without electricity ... simply developing the motor glider concept. Thermal or dynamic ancestry is indeed transformed solar energy. Here is a track to develop (and that our aero team has started to work).

Michel
Last edited by Michel Kieffer the 09 / 08 / 09, 21: 57, 1 edited once.
0 x
Michel Kieffer
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Michel Kieffer » 09/08/09, 17:11

Cuicui, related to your links (interesting by the way…)

A classic two-seater light aircraft (or ULM or LSA) today requires (statistical average basse) 80hpx75% = 60hp in cruise, i.e. 44 kW!

A hyper-optimized aircraft (cf. http://cocyane.chez-alice.fr/aeronautique.html) requires approximately 2 times less power, i.e. 22 kW. By reducing the speed a little, we can be satisfied with, say 15 kW.

Imagine covering this plane with solar cells. At the rate of 150 W / m2 and 14m² (fuselage + wings), we get 2,1 kW!
That is to say that we have painfully (in the sun at noon) 5% of the power necessary for a conventional device, and 14% of the power required for our hyper-optimized device.
And this without even integrating neither the mass differential against the solar plane, nor the problem of take-off with such reduced powers.

To sum up, under speed conditions, payload, safety / resistance of materials *, safety / balance and stability, take-off capacity… a photovoltaic device is simply not realistic :| , except to sacrifice one of the stated criteria (which is always possible in the context of a record attempt).

In contrast, a motor glider solves the problem of solar flight in a realistic and economical way! It is a question of going up to 300 m, a "glass" of petrol or agrofuel is enough, and of looking for ancestors. And if there is none, either we do not steal, or we offer ourselves a few more liters of fuel, it depends ...

Michel

* must hold 4 or 4,4 g according to the regulations x safety factor 1,5 (x1,15) to more than 2 for composite aircraft.
0 x
Michel Kieffer
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Michel Kieffer » 18/09/09, 08:13

Electric aircraft, more…

Here is this new document targeting electric recreational aircraft. See the aviation section of the site http://cocyane.chez-alice.fr/aeronautique.html

Michel

PS: I relay this "transversal" message on forums :
- "ULM and light aviation" because they are airplanes
- "car of the future" for its relative proximity to the automobile
- "motorway, drive fast or not ..." for the surprising conclusion on the relationship between consumption and speed
- "Mitsubichi MIEV ..." to underline that electric airplanes also work!
0 x
Michel Kieffer
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Michel Kieffer » 30/09/09, 19:29

Electric plane and passenger compartment heating

To summarize, the one who wants to fly in an electric light plane has an interest in equipping himself with some polar furs in winter Image...

See the update on the document “electric plane” http://cocyane.chez-alice.fr/aeronautique.html.

Michel
0 x
Other

by Other » 30/09/09, 21:35

Hello

I fly regularly in winter, and sometimes -25. Cabin heating ?? it's just good for city pilots first at -15 it flies more .. too much work to start, scratch the wings, carry rackets, a survival kit ect ..

When we fly in winter we have to dress in polar clothes
first if you fall in a windfall or just get caught on a lake you have to envissement to spend the night on your plane without freezing

On the plane if you do not manage to heat enough the windows are full of mist, better to leave a little air circulation and not to heat, the cabin temperature is at - 5 internal.
the mist comes from the breath and the snow you have on your boots, if you carry a dog on the plane and you are less afraid, you spend your time removing the mist.

Andre

Whether you fly ULM or ULM Subaru you have to dress it would be unconscious to go north without being well dressed.

0 x