Tire life

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
sam17
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by sam17 » 04/09/09, 13:55

A little surprise also happened to me like:

I was riding on "old" tires that were less than 3 years old but were completely smooth (I know, it's bad but I was completely broke) so I quickly learned to beware on rainy days, especially when it is very light!

Being completely broke at the time, I found a plan where I bought a handful of euros for the tires that an acquaintance had stored for ten years in his garage.

A week later, at moderate speed I did a splendid spin as if I had applied a good hand brake. Despite my long period of driving on tires where you could see the rope, I couldn't see anything coming! I went to see the road just after, it had nothing greasy like roundabouts often are.

I am still a little traumatized today from the time I drove with these tires. I would never dare to drive on wet roads the same way as before having to wear this set of wheels.
0 x
--
Patience is a tree whose root is bitter, and whose fruits are very sweet.
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 04/09/09, 14:35

former oceanic wrote:I have a set of tires from my ex-BX that I wanted to give to my step mother (405 break SR) because they are the same wheels.

Hm, hm ... the intention was not initially suspect? : Lol:

former oceanic wrote:... tires age and become brittle ...

How is it that a 21-year-old pancake wheel looks like new? The rubber is very black, shiny, flexible and absolutely not cracked. UV may have a role, we should compare the extent of cracks between the outside of the tire, exposed to UV, and the inside of the tire, almost always in the shade.
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 04/09/09, 14:47

Maybe because they are not Michelin Energy tires manufactured in 2000 ...
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 04/09/09, 15:33

former oceanic wrote:Maybe because they are not Michelin Energy tires manufactured in 2000 ...

No, it's not a Michelin. It is an original tire supplied with the car.

I don't take Michelin anymore, anyway it's not generally made in France, apart from heavy truck tires. My last (sad) experience with Michelin was when I made the effort to change my tires because the speed index H did not correspond to the vehicle. So I bought 4 Michelin V indexes that were much more expensive, catastrophic result: total loss of grip and traction whether the ground was dry or wet, it was rubbish. On the other hand, these tires had grooves which had the same spacing as that of the stripes made by tarring machines. Suddenly, in the work areas, the car followed these grooves like a train on its rails! It's funny the first time ... We lose control of the car which starts to follow in the tracks of the construction machine ... !!! When you think you can control with the steering wheel you can see it is the rear wheels that follow the tracks : Lol: . I was lucky because there were serious accidents and Michelin admitted that they had made a serious mistake by "forgetting" to take into account the spacing of the scratches made in the tar by the tarring machines. : Lol:

So no more Michelin, there are tires of foreign brands but of French manufacture which are very good.
Last edited by Leo Maximus the 04 / 09 / 09, 17: 43, 1 edited once.
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 04/09/09, 17:12

Leo Maximus wrote:[
I no longer take Michelin

Neither do I. A few years ago I had Michelin put on the ZX. Little by little, bumps appeared, the driving became more and more hectic and a tire eventually burst on the highway. No sore, but I did not understand anything.
In the past, I really liked the handling of the Michelin cars on my Ami-6s.
I wonder where and how those that were on the ZX were made. I hope those that are on the market now no longer have these flaws.
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 04/09/09, 17:50

There is a warranty on the tires, if we made it play a little more often the manufacture would certainly be more serious ...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 04/09/09, 20:48

Leo Maximus wrote:There is a warranty on the tires, if we made it play a little more often the manufacture would certainly be more serious ...
ImageMaybe 20 years ago ...
Today, financialization has gone through this ...
Improvements only happen if financial analysts judge that they increase profit.
While we have never communicated so much about quality, it has never deteriorated so much.
Quality has become a marketing tool, it is no longer a leitmotif ... : Cry:

In my company, the quality of our products, which were world benchmarks 10 years ago is rapidly deteriorating. Our managers argue that our products are of too high quality which penalizes us because our prices are too high. As our customers do not know how to appreciate our quality, we put ourselves at the level of our competitors and now produce M - - - E.
: Cry:
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 04/09/09, 20:59

sam17 wrote:A little surprise also happened to me like:
So I quickly learned to beware of rainy days, especially when it is very light!
... at moderate speed I spun splendidly as if I had given a good blow to the handbrake ..., I couldn't see anything coming! I went to see the road just after, it had nothing greasy like roundabouts often are.

Many drivers are often surprised by showers in midsummer on hot roads with the sun. Some tar compounds react with heat and form an invisible greasy film that has no effect as long as the road remains dry. But at the first rainfall the water is not drained and is "pushed" by the tar according to the "offset" principle used in printing.
This is called the summer ice storm.
This phenomenon is almost unknown to drivers ... :|
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 04/09/09, 21:22

Equation:
Sun = UV + heat
Air = oxygen = oxidation
Result: photo-oxidation of bitumens which give shorter and more oxygenated chains than the very long molecules of tars, it is like soap (which can be alkylbenzenes) placed on the tar ...
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 04/09/09, 21:38

citro wrote:... Quality has become a marketing tool, it is no longer a leitmotif ... : Cry:
In my company, the quality of our products, which were world benchmarks 10 years ago is rapidly deteriorating. Our managers argue that our products are of too high quality which penalizes us because our prices are too high. As our customers do not know how to appreciate our quality, we put ourselves at the level of our competitors and now produce M - - - E.
: Cry:

It is certain that the bulk of today's customers do not know what a quality product is, what matters is that the price is as low as possible, no wonder then that we are haunted by m ....

For the tires, I always put the price, currently I have tires guaranteed for life and I have not had any problems so far.
0 x