Steam car

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 22/04/13, 00:16

moinsdewatt wrote:Precisely no, by publishing this kind of nonsense you get into the minds of people who are not very educated and gullible that there will be an energy solution and that consequently we will not change our lifestyles and waste. You are the ones who drive back the spirits.
André has carried out numerous experiments over more than 100 km with water doping + diesel oil. He generously shared his experience with us on this forum for years. If you wanted to present your work to us, it would be nice.
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 22/04/13, 06:27

+1
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Steam car

by moinsdewatt » 23/04/13, 20:52

lejustemilieu wrote:Hello,
Lately, I saw briefly (on TV), very briefly, a steam engine.
I searched the net, and here I find surprising info: ....

As Did67 says, you've gone completely astray in your info searches.

What the amovis website says

Regardless of the combustion engine, only a tiny fraction of the energy stored in the fuel is used to operate it. Significant amounts of energy are lost through exhaust gases and cooling water as waste heat. The Amovis SteamCell system makes it possible to use part of this waste heat and to dispose of it again in the form of mechanical or electrical energy.
Amovis offers specific solutions according to your application

http://www.amovis.de/kompetenzen/abwarm ... l/?lang=fr

and like did Did67, a Rankine cycle is used.

Nothing to do with the nonsense of "water engine".
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 23/04/13, 23:47

It is indeed a residual heat recovery system to convert it into mechanical / electrical energy ...

You can "have fun" with a steam engine, in addition a conventional petrol / diesel combustion engine.

This American site makes a good benchmark of this technical field
http://www.heat2power.net/en__benchmark.php

heat2power: American jargon: [heat converted into power]
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 24/04/13, 06:00

Hello

It may be heavy as an engine but it takes off.

http://youtu.be/SX3qPfN9zjA

In the 1930s they had the courage and the conviction to try something else.

http://youtu.be/N98mXwTsx5A
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Steam car

by Cuicui » 25/04/13, 14:32

moinsdewatt wrote:It's everyday April 1st for the middle. Image
I find it hard to understand your sarcasm about the steam engine. However, it has the merit of using any fuel and operating without vibrations. It was abandoned on the locomotives due to maintenance easements, efficiency and bulk. With modern techniques, there is certainly a way to improve all of this to adapt it to a light ecological vehicle that is sufficiently powerful and efficient (I'm not talking about the folk crafts that we see on Youtube).
Moreover, I do not see what the hypothetical "water engine" comes to do in this context.
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 25/04/13, 14:57

Did67 wrote:4) Yes, I am skeptical about the benefits of doping with water and the "explanations" which are given, dissociation of water into H², etc ...
Water doping is not a matter of beliefs, but of experimentation. The reduction in unburnt fuel, a sign of better combustion, explains the increase in performance and the reduction in pollution. As for the smoky theoretical explanations, they actually boil down to hypotheses that are difficult to verify with our small means.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 25/04/13, 15:21

steam engine without vibration ??? when I was little there were still steam locomotives! it made the ground shake! perfect balancing was impossible

the steam engines of boats with a larger number of cylinders on a crankshaft were better balanced

the efficiency of any thermal machine is limited by a log: to increase the efficiency it is necessary to increase the temperature: in an internal combustion engine the cylinder and the piston do not have to bear the maximum temperature of the cycle, because the rest of the cycle allows to my material to cool: we can easily climb high enough to have a good performance

with the steam engine the boiler must withstand the maximum temperature of the cycle continuously ... for a high temperature it takes a huge pressure ... big problem of safety

conclusion, we did everything to get the most from the steam engines, and we know the limits well, while the internal combustion and diesel engines have progressed a lot and the progress is not finished: we make diesel turbocompounds of 200KW who reach a yield of 47%! and there is no theoretical barrier that prevents doing the same on smaller engines: you just have to pay the price

another comparison between steam engine and internal combustion engine: there was a time when all the factories had their own steam engine to run their entire machine: from 1880 gasifier and internal combustion engine appeared, which showed a lower consumption of coal than steam engines ... a lower installation price than steam, despite the fact that combustion engines of the time were quite poor in performance ... but alas this gasifier technology is gone into oblivion with electricity, which caused large engines to be abandoned in factories

gazogen still made a comeback in 1940 because of the lack of gasoline: but it was simplified gasifier to make light, which did not have a very good yield, and which we were happy to get rid of as soon as gasoline returned

the steam engine is not the only way to use solid fuel: the gasifier and combustion engine is better on all points: cheaper, lighter, better performance, less polluting

and already available commercially in high power
http://www.schnellmotor.de/en/products/ ... -plant.php
0 x
Other

by Other » 25/04/13, 16:03

Hello

In the 80s a company (I no longer know the name) had studied and produced prototype steam cars.
power and vibration was not the problem
thermal issue on the piston less than explosion engine autan ddiesel than petrol 9 often no external cooling of the engine.
Benefits
It is use of many fuels.
accumulation of power to make it available on a small engine action on each stroke of the piston.

The disadvantages s
Complex operation for a car.
Use of problem cold water
Voluminous boiler despite the new flat tubes, medium pressure operation.
Complex condenser to realize

Poor thermal efficiency
the use of a turbine instead of the piston does not improve the efficiency (the same thing with a jet turbine A

Andre
0 x
AlterEco
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by AlterEco » 26/04/13, 09:19

Did67 wrote:
Just think for two seconds: where does the energy come from to produce the steam?

I haven't read everything, but we know how to store heat
thermal solar is more than 2000 ° C
so fill up with steam, then heat a coil with a fluid and a reflector with a celestial drift motor with gps. it would be possible! To power a turbine, it can certainly work for some applications in a desert country
but it seems very complicated when it would be enough to produce juice in a power plant
0 x