PVC tubes vehicle frame

And if they were repairing rather than throwing and change? Rediscover the pleasure of the repairs yourself. How to diagnose a problem or find spare parts? Repair itself is way to save money generally!
Aumicron
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Aumicron » 24/12/13, 08:46

A small flat despite everything! PVC is not at all ecological and certain risks exist.
0 x
To argue.
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 24/12/13, 10:21

Forhorse wrote:There are now several "varieties" of PVC tubing. For example CR4 and CR8 tubes are much stronger than "normal" PVC

Hello Forhorse,
Thanks for this info. I will inquire in particular about the solidity and the cost.
Knowing your interest in horses, I would like to take this opportunity to tell you that if this chassis construction method works, I will use it to make original horse-drawn car prototypes, such as a convertible car from 2 wheels to 4 wheels!

Aumicron wrote:A small flat despite everything! PVC is not at all ecological and certain risks exist.

It is a pojnt that bothers me! ... But I don't really have any info on this point.

What do you mean by "some risks exist"? Breakage, harmfulness of the materials, .... ????

Are there other similar eco-friendly materials as simple and economical as pvc tubing, with so many choices of sizes and diameters?

There is indeed the bamboo but recent studies have shown that sawdust is very irritating, even potentially dangerous (carcinogenic) !!!
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 24/12/13, 10:36

Indeed a search on the net with "harmfulness PVC" gives worrying results !!!!

For example:
"The dangers of PVC are no longer to be demonstrated, but all countries should take drastic measures because they are not all equal when it comes to regulating this plastic. For example, PVC is banned in Sweden, which is heavily regulated in Germany (banned in Berlin), Austria and Denmark. But in France its use is completely free. Fortunately, manufacturers have taken the dangers of PVC seriously and have acted accordingly, such as "Nike" who decided to eliminating PVC from its shoes and its offices at its head office, or even the manufacturer "Lego" which has been removing PVC from all its toys since 1986. It is time to apply a sound policy concerning the various products in our environment. This policy would consist of estimating the advantages and disadvantages of a product in relation to the pollution it could cause during its life cycle or during its elimination or recycling! "

In fact, if we look around, there is PVC everywhere starting with children's toys!

[Edit] As usual, by refining the searches on the net we end up finding everything and its opposite : Shock:

"It is dangerous during its manufacturing process and when it burns. Otherwise, it is in no way toxic during its use (pipes, ...). All the water pipes in the houses are made of PVC, it's better to keep it healthy. "
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 24/12/13, 11:05

Hi Grelinette,

Since pvc is very toxic to disposal, a "salvage" use which can avoid disposal in the trash is ecologically desirable!

In some organic farming charters pvc pipes are prohibited, the alternative is polyethylene, which cannot be glued but is very well welded.

A+ :D
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 24/12/13, 11:07

When I inquired about the construction of a Canadian well, I read that PVC tends to release VOCs (volatile organic compounds) and that it was therefore not recommended for this application.
Now considering that it is to manufacture a chassis, which in addition will be used in the open air, and not to circulate air intended to be inhaled there, I think that the danger for the health of the user is nonexistent (from the point of view of VOCs in any case : Mrgreen: )

After what is debatable it is rather all that is related to the manufacture / recycling / disposal of PVC waste.
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 24/12/13, 11:23

cortejuan wrote:I like the idea of ​​diverting materials, in particular the PVC tube, which is so easy to work with. I think it's more solid and flexible than we generally think.
At the time of the first hang-gliders (the triangular "deltaploufs" with 4 finesse) we broke a lot of trapeze uprights when learning. So as not to ruin us, they were fashioned in PVC pipe 40 mm in diameter. It was efficient and inexpensive. We did big flights without any problem. Good memories !
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 24/12/13, 12:04

I am not crazy about enthusiasm for the PVC tube, which in particular weakens in the cold, undergoes UV's.

On the other hand, I heard a lot of good things about bamboo: lighter than aluminum, as solid as steel, non-flammable. Asians are clearly ahead of us on this point

http://www.habiter-autrement.org/11.con ... 7_cons.htm

using steel T's and L's, epoxy and a pin to keep them out of the sleeves?

In addition, it has a little "relax-vacation" side that I really like :D
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 24/12/13, 12:13

The danger of PVC results from its military origin: the combat gas factories are converted in this sector of plastics with the essential component which is chlorine.
It is it which is released during combustion, causing, at best, a temporary irritation of the respiratory system, at worst asphixia.

With regard to VOCs, it should be noted that the various plastics, even those which are judged to be the most harmless, are loaded with adjuvant intended to improve some of their properties, more or less stable adjuvants and never perfectly harmless.

I agree withElephant and certifies that bamboo is stronger than steel: it resists vibrations better * and its weight / resistance ratio classifies it out of category.

* It is especially used in flour milling to support vibrating screening screens; it is the only material that resists over the long term, much superior to steel or other glass or carbon fibers, in addition it is inexpensive!
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 24/12/13, 14:11

elephant wrote:... I have heard a lot of good things about bamboo: lighter than aluminum, as strong as steel, ...
using steel T's and L's, epoxy and a pin to keep them out of the sleeves?
In addition, it has a little "relax-vacation" side that I really like :D

I like it too, and in addition to the "relax-vacation" side, there is this juxtaposition of Innovation-Tradition which I like.

As the other said: "The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition!".

Ok, go ahead, go ahead for the bamboo!

a little research on the net, and ...
On the other hand, if someone can tell me with what energy this beautiful ecological device is advancing ... It seems vaguely that there is a motor-wheel at the front, but no visible battery.
In any case, the design is magnificent!

If some are ready, we could create a group, or even a workshop to make a similar bamboo vehicle, with of course, a hybrid motorization system: calves + wheel-motors + PV + ... (to be defined).

... and there is already the matching trailer:

Oulala, that announces long evenings of DIY that all this!
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 24/12/13, 14:35

Rhâââ what a truffle, I had not seen that the bamboo car operated with pedals, and it seems, a fairly sophisticated system of reduction directly in the hub! Image
0 x

Back to "failure, troubleshooting and repair: repair yourself? "