The future will pass you it with biomass?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The future will pass you it with biomass?

by sicetaitsimple » 03/06/22, 17:56

Ahmed wrote:

Sicetaitsimple, you declare:
Your paper log press is just in time!

Certainly, but only until the current super waste is still possible! Especially since paper is made from wood, therefore an increasingly coveted resource...

It is discussed. I found the attached document very interesting, there are values ​​for France and Europe. We learn in particular that in France, the rate of incorporation (of cardboard/recycled paper in new paper/cardboard) is around 70%, and that around 70% is also collected "directly" via manufacturers, businesses, supermarkets, etc. and 30% via household collections. Lots of other interesting information, but it's 79 pages.

2021-01_Report-paper-cardboard-sector.pdf
(3.94 million) Downloaded times 355
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 03/06/22, 20:44

I understand your point of view, but we must not forget that recycling strategies are, among other things, a condition for the continuation of waste (with, as a bonus, the bonus "good ecological conscience"!)...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 03/06/22, 21:15

Ahmed wrote:I understand your point of view, but we must not forget that recycling strategies are, among other things, a condition for the continuation of waste (with, as a bonus, the bonus "good ecological conscience"!)...

We can always do better, that's for sure....
But that wood goes through the paper/cardboard sector, to then be 70% recycled and that the remaining 30% goes mainly through the energy recovery sector does not seem completely stupid to me.
Is it in this 30% that your press fits?
So maybe the 30% will become 20% in a few years, then 10%, and that overall the quantities of paper/cardboard will continue to decrease? Well, we'll see...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 03/06/22, 21:24

Yes, I think there is room for several ways in the reuse of old paper/cardboard, but what is quite scary is the volumes involved...
I specify that I do not see paper as a cause of deforestation like some who lack discernment in the matter (lack of knowledge), because pulpwood for the paper industry will never be more than a by-product of logging, mainly due to the selling price of this material, which reserves it for thinning and scrap wood (except in exceptional cases, such as eucalyptus in Spain).
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 03/06/22, 21:49

Ahmed wrote:Yes, I think there is room for several ways in the reuse of old paper/cardboard, but what is quite scary is the volumes involved...

According to the document I quoted, between 1/4 and 1/3 of the paper/cardboard collected would not be recycled in France and therefore exported.

"The situation of the French paper industry leads to a large volume of PCR collected and
sorted in France cannot be recycled there. The balance of uses and collection of PCR thus fell
increased to 1,5 Mt in 2019 (after 1,6 Mt in 2018 and 1,9 Mt in 2017) compared to a total of 6,7 Mt
collection
your. "
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 22/12/22, 11:30

I believe that we must seriously consider the question of recycling cardboard / paper which is only virtuous on "paper" (sic). In reality, it is extremely energy-intensive and polluting, probably much more than from virgin material since the operation is more complex...

On the more general question of biomass, which is seen as the last resort at this time, it seems that at European level the question of the carbon neutrality of wood energy is being called into question, which could constitute a cornerstone. stumbling block for many ongoing projects (because of the necessary authorizations and subsidies). I think it's a good thing that people in high places are aware of the excesses that are looming in this area, but it would nevertheless be good for modulations to be provided for according to situations which are very variable.
1 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 19/02/23, 01:00

Wood: ecologists have succeeded in making us believe in its ecological side… The greatest hoax they have invented!
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 20/02/23, 08:54

doubly stupid reaction of the naz' y fascist conspiracy!
Admittedly, heating cities with pellets (made for the occasion and not recovered from waste wood) is nonsense. heating with wood is only justified where there are vast expanses of vegetation, therefore outside cities.
At the same time more and more forests are burning due to drought and there is an enormous unused carbon balance. And naivety would be to believe that firefighters will solve this crucial problem and this in times of lack of water!
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
Remundo

by Remundo » 20/02/23, 09:18

some of the firefighters are excluded for fear that they transmit the covid to the burning trees.

Health policy in France is serious business. : roll:
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 20/02/23, 19:02

izentrop wrote:Wood: ecologists have succeeded in making us believe in its ecological side… The greatest hoax they have invented!

If I understood the La Défense project correctly, it is not about wood pellets, but "agro pellets" mainly from various straws.
It has nothing to do in terms of content and composition of the ashes with wood, it is out of the question to burn "agro pellets" in a particular boiler, in short it does not compete with the market for standardized pellets NF/EN.
Afterwards we can talk forever about "leaving the straws on the floor", but that's another subject. There, they will replace fuel oil.
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."